Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 05:35 PM

33 posts, read 27,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyranger View Post
yeah but can you make same money as nyc?
I make about 2-3x what I made in NYC here in Vegas, so apparently you can.

I also pay far less taxes, own multiple homes and NEVER have to worry about where I'm going to park our cars. I'm soooo glad I'm no longer living out there (or in So Cal, for that matter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 07:08 AM

228 posts, read 197,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyway28 View Post
I’m still here and loving it!! My oh my how this city has grown in 12 years!!
I’ve lived in the SW, out to Boulder City and have finally settled into a historic neighborhood downtown.
The gripe I had in the past is a thing of the past.. The community downtown is unsurpassed. We’ve met so many wonderful people and stay involved in the community. Honestly I really feel like this city is very big on that… Community Involvement! What free work are you willing to do to improve your community?
Although the housing market has seen a spike recently, The cost of living is very affordable compared to other well appointed cities.
The great outdoors is amazing here… in and out of Las Vegas… traveling to nearby states is typically a nice scenic drive, in fact you usually go opposite of traffic coming to Vegas which is great. We have new sports teams which I really bring another element of family friendliness…
There is a lot of culture here in Las Vegas which is absolutely beautiful to see and I’m proud to raise my family here
I noticed the original post was 2010 and thought who dug this up and has the OP changed from Like to Love.
While I only have 4 years and 2 of those years in the pandemic, I still love this place.
I see and hear people talk about the crime and they can't wait to get out of here, but crime is everywhere you go, even in small little towns like Bandera, Tx.
We have had a lot of neighbors move to Fla. I often wonder how long it will take them before they say, "CRAP, what did we do". I lived in Miami, Coconut Grove. They can have the humidity, storms, bugs, and crazies. I often wonder, do they forget why they moved to Vegas? The beautiful weather, endless entertainment, low taxes, friendly people, endless adventures.
I don't like our current situation, but moving is not going to change that. We went to the Smith Center and saw the production of Cats. I did not like having to wear a mask, but those are the rules, and having lost 3 family members in 2021, safety first.
I'm glad after 12+ years, you still love this place! I am 101% Texan, 5th generation, BUT I told my spouse I want my ashes spread on Mt. Charleston. I always considered myself a traveler, but as with my spouse of 30 years, Vegas was love at first sight.

Old 02-05-2022, 09:44 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
I like it here alot. Love the hiking and great weather. Love the entertainment possibilities. We do escape for about 6 weeks in the summer!

(But admit I love Texas, too. We sold our condo in Dallas last summer so no longer have a residence there. I do feel like a part of me is missing….even though I was always staying with family whenever we were in Dallas and never used our condo!)

Old 02-05-2022, 10:26 AM

1,086 posts, read 746,942 times
We have only been here since early June but loving it so far!

Old 02-06-2022, 02:18 PM

15,864 posts, read 14,487,406 times
I have to ask, what do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDaBee View Post
I make about 2-3x what I made in NYC here in Vegas, so apparently you can.

I also pay far less taxes, own multiple homes and NEVER have to worry about where I'm going to park our cars. I'm soooo glad I'm no longer living out there (or in So Cal, for that matter).

Old 02-06-2022, 03:29 PM

1,629 posts, read 1,714,134 times
I moved here in March 2018. I lived in the Chicago area most of my life and Southwest Florida for five years before moving here. I like Vegas the best so far, but the pandemic has put a damper on things re: restaurants and entertainment for two out of the four years I've been here. I love the weather, dry heat is much better than the humidity in the other places I lived. Winters are mild and short compared to the snow and extreme cold in Illinois. Cost of living is less here too, property taxes and power bills were killing me in Illinois.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:47 PM

194 posts, read 194,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I moved here in March 2018. I lived in the Chicago area most of my life and Southwest Florida for five years before moving here. I like Vegas the best so far, but the pandemic has put a damper on things re: restaurants and entertainment for two out of the four years I've been here. I love the weather, dry heat is much better than the humidity in the other places I lived. Winters are mild and short compared to the snow and extreme cold in Illinois. Cost of living is less here too, property taxes and power bills were killing me in Illinois.

How would you compare FL vs LV? Did you encounter a lot of mosquitoes and hurricanes? How would you compare how the people are like and cost of living in both places?

Old 02-07-2022, 11:42 AM

1,629 posts, read 1,714,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerboy View Post
How would you compare FL vs LV? Did you encounter a lot of mosquitoes and hurricanes? How would you compare how the people are like and cost of living in both places?
I lived in Naples, it's beautiful but a bit boring. Not much night life, but very good restaurants. Fort Myers is 43 miles to the north, it has more bars and some entertainment (music), but nothing like a real city (Miami, Tampa etc). Bugs are horrible, "no see-ums" are worse than mosquitoes. I got bit a lot and it was very bad a few times. Naples was where Hurricane Irma hit, my house didn't sustain much damage (a neighbors tree fell on the cage over my pool), but it took a year to clean up the debris in the area. Property taxes are similar, my power bills were higher in Florida (A/C year round and I had a pool) and home owner's insurance is a big cost there (over $2K/year). I met some very nice people in Naples including in my neighborhood. I also had some awful neighbors on both sides of my house for a while, crazy people.

I've met some nice people here in Vegas, but some crazies too. Naples has a lot of wealthy people concentrated in a smaller area, Vegas is much more diverse.

Overall, I liked a lot of things about Naples and Florida in general, but couldn't stand the humidity. Warm winters are nice, (I swam in my pool on Christmas a few years), but the rest of the year the weather sucks IMO. Hard to generalize all of Florida, the south is different than the north as is the east coast vs the west coast.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:26 AM

194 posts, read 194,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I lived in Naples, it's beautiful but a bit boring. Not much night life, but very good restaurants. Fort Myers is 43 miles to the north, it has more bars and some entertainment (music), but nothing like a real city (Miami, Tampa etc). Bugs are horrible, "no see-ums" are worse than mosquitoes. I got bit a lot and it was very bad a few times. Naples was where Hurricane Irma hit, my house didn't sustain much damage (a neighbors tree fell on the cage over my pool), but it took a year to clean up the debris in the area. Property taxes are similar, my power bills were higher in Florida (A/C year round and I had a pool) and home owner's insurance is a big cost there (over $2K/year). I met some very nice people in Naples including in my neighborhood. I also had some awful neighbors on both sides of my house for a while, crazy people.

I've met some nice people here in Vegas, but some crazies too. Naples has a lot of wealthy people concentrated in a smaller area, Vegas is much more diverse.

Overall, I liked a lot of things about Naples and Florida in general, but couldn't stand the humidity. Warm winters are nice, (I swam in my pool on Christmas a few years), but the rest of the year the weather sucks IMO. Hard to generalize all of Florida, the south is different than the north as is the east coast vs the west coast.

Thanks for sharing your experience in Fl. Flying biting bugs are killer; they seem to like eating my wife alive, especially the ones you can't see!

Interesting to hear your power bills were higher in Fl. Would you say the A/C is always on during the summer in LV and A/C is off the rest of the year?

LV is on the top of the list to relocate in a couple of years once the kids head off to college. We thought about FL, but not liking hurricanes, mosquitoes, and humidity. Also thought about Texas, but the constant threat of inclement weather (i.e. tornado, hail) and very high property taxes is a big negative.

Mind me asking what neighborhood you live in? Wife and I both like Summerlin. What do you think about Desert Shores and Peccole Ranch? Any other communities you recommend we look at?

Old 02-08-2022, 02:09 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,890,159 times
I think the Vegas vs XXX dynamic has changed a lot in 10 years. Used to be the cost to buy or rent was so much better than other markets, but now it loses badly to a lot of places like the Midwest or the South. Yes its still cheaper than California and always will be, but its kind of shocking how much cheaper it is in places like OKC or KC these days. Not trying to compare those places on a lifestyle basis, but on a cost basis Las Vegas is starting to fall behind and I wonder when that factor starts to limit the demand for relocation. Until recently cost of living seemed the main reason people were considering Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas