Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:22 PM

233 posts, read 440,079 times

Advertisements

The only reason that there is opportunity here is because we don't have a population problem that has quite reached critical capacity. But that is quickly changing. The more Mexicans that come here, the more this country will resemble Mexico and the less opportunity there will be for anyone. Mexicans should be humble and satisfied with their lives, as the poor try to be here. Only, I strongly suspect that being amongst the very poor here is much harder, psychologically, than it is in Mexico. Feeling entitled to be here doesn't make it rational, just, fair, or legal.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are absolutely my HERO! So very well said. Your whole post was one of the best I have ever read. Thank you for saying what many of us have been trying to say to these people who pander to the illegals, thinking in some way they are noble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 10:34 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ge042781 View Post
You were born in a country that makes it nearly impossible for your family to live adequately, much less prosper and gaining a visa to simply leave is not nearly that easy... So your very own children are starving and have little hope for a decent future... NOW ask yourself... Are you REALLY in a predicament to give TWO CRAPS about the legality of your situation? NO YOUR NOT! ANY of us, would be in SURVIVAL MODE if put in these peoples situation! TRUST ME... I dont like criminals or unpatriotic people any more than you do, BUT I do see the BIGGER picture and with that said I believe EVERY human has the GOD GIVEN right to fight for their piece of the pie... doesn't really matter whose pie it is to begin with! Thanks and God bless!
I think what p*sses Americans off the most is when people here illegally protest and demand their "rights" as if they were legal citizens. If Americans did that in Mexico or some other Latin American country we'd be laughed off and/or sent to jail.

We don't appreciate the double standard. We also don't like being attacked & accused of being mean/greedy, etc., when we've done more for people who are here illegally than the home countries of these illegal immigrants ever did. So that's another double standard.

Why don't they have mass protests for better living conditions in Mexico City instead of Los Angeles??? That would be something a lot of Americans could get behind.

I might add that the survival mode you speak of, while very real and understandable, is also the thing that keeps so many people in countries like Mexico poor. As long as people can be kept in that mode, they can be exloited to the fullest.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtrevino View Post
All I'm saying is you cannot be blind to the fact that you have a poorer country next to you. Think of it at a local level. Imagine you're the rich person on the block, but much much richer. You can either:

A) help your neighbors improve their conditions (without special interests) or
B) put up a huge wall and close your eyes

Either way you're gonna have neighbors come in to your house. And either way it's going to cost you. You decide if you want them to be a friend or a resentful individual.
I don't understand your analogy. Sounds like a pretty poor one created to get people to answer only A. The answer is B. I'm sick and tired of Mexicans coming here in the U.S. illegally and wrecking my country! They (illegal dominicanos and their anchors) already did it to Puerto Rico, especially my hometown and near it, and I don't want to see the same thing happening in the U.S. It's bad enough we have to deal with crime on the scale of Tijuana down there, and I want to be able to go back!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:15 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArepasandGravy View Post
If you want to stem the illegal problem, go after the employers who hire and exploit illegals. Just like with the drug war, where there is demand, there will always be supply. If there were nothing here for illegals, they would stop coming.
This bears repeating. Whenever people complain about illegal immigrants, they often complain about welfare, etc. but (conveniently?) forget about the employers who hire them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration