Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:58 AM

5 posts, read 139,230 times

Advertisements

Im from ontario, looking to move to LA, and i dont know how. After getting there i was wondering ifi culd move there withut one and still get a job,then after settling, get a GreenCard then 5 years apply for citizen ship. I need to know ASAP and a general overview how to move to the US and what documentation i need to move there. help is greatly appreciated, if more information please help. mark_mcgillivary@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 11:35 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
No. You cannot come here and get a job. If you really want to immigrate, get a job (with a company with US branches) in Canada and have your employer transfer you to the US branch. Then, you can apply for an immigrant visa and your company will take care of most of the paperwork and fees.

Other options:

GO TO SCHOOL
1. Go to school on a F1 visa with an OPT training option. During your OPT, you can work for 1 year. Convince an employer that you are worth the effort and they will apply for an H1-B dual-intent visa for you. If you are REALLY lucky and get one of the 65,000 H1B's, then you can apply for a green card after 2 years working in the US with that employer. Don't get fired, or you have to go home immediately.
2. Get a Masters Degree with OPT option. There is no cap for H1-B visas for Masters Degree holders. You still have to find a company to sponsor you though. That means they must submit to government reviews, pay upwards of $5,000 in fees (which they are legally prohibited from charging to you, but that doesn't mean they won't try). Again, after 2 years, you can apply for a green card. This is the most likely school route to a US green card.

GET MARRIED
1. Get married to a US Citizen. Visit the US on a student, vacation, or other temporary visa, find that special someone, and get married. Make sure you do it within the months or weeks allowed by your visa or you will be in "unlawful status."
This is the fastest way to a green card. It takes a minimum of a year (after you're married). You'll need to pay upwards of $4,000 in fees, submit to an intrusive USCIS interrogation about your personal lives, and pray that your application doesn't get lost and that your interviewer is having a good day. There are severe penalties for fraud, so make sure you're really in love. If you are divorced or separated within 2 years (of getting a "conditional" green card), your conditional green card will be revoked and you will be subject to deportation. You cannot get a green card this way if you crossed the border illegally (without inspection). Well, you can, but you have to go back to your home country and wait 2-4 years, first.

HAVE A CRAPLOAD OF MONEY
Invest $100,000 in a US-based-company (it can be your own) and you can apply for a business-related green card. They are currently processing applications for those who submitted applications for this sort of green card in 1993. So, you might get yours by 2020 if you're lucky. I think you can stay in the US during the processing, but I'm a little hazy on this. Also, I don't know how you're supposed to start a US business from Canada.

BE A SUPERSTAR
If you are an internationally-renouned celebrity there is a special visa for you. Don't know the details.

That's pretty much it in terms of legal immigration. Details available here:
USCIS Home Page . Best of luck.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:56 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
No. You cannot come here and get a job. If you really want to immigrate, get a job (with a company with US branches) in Canada and have your employer transfer you to the US branch. Then, you can apply for an immigrant visa and your company will take care of most of the paperwork and fees.

Other options:

GO TO SCHOOL
1. Go to school on a F1 visa with an OPT training option. During your OPT, you can work for 1 year. Convince an employer that you are worth the effort and they will apply for an H1-B dual-intent visa for you. If you are REALLY lucky and get one of the 65,000 H1B's, then you can apply for a green card after 2 years working in the US with that employer. Don't get fired, or you have to go home immediately.
2. Get a Masters Degree with OPT option. There is no cap for H1-B visas for Masters Degree holders. You still have to find a company to sponsor you though. That means they must submit to government reviews, pay upwards of $5,000 in fees (which they are legally prohibited from charging to you, but that doesn't mean they won't try). Again, after 2 years, you can apply for a green card. This is the most likely school route to a US green card.

GET MARRIED
1. Get married to a US Citizen. Visit the US on a student, vacation, or other temporary visa, find that special someone, and get married. Make sure you do it within the months or weeks allowed by your visa or you will be in "unlawful status."
This is the fastest way to a green card. It takes a minimum of a year (after you're married). You'll need to pay upwards of $4,000 in fees, submit to an intrusive USCIS interrogation about your personal lives, and pray that your application doesn't get lost and that your interviewer is having a good day. There are severe penalties for fraud, so make sure you're really in love. If you are divorced or separated within 2 years (of getting a "conditional" green card), your conditional green card will be revoked and you will be subject to deportation. You cannot get a green card this way if you crossed the border illegally (without inspection). Well, you can, but you have to go back to your home country and wait 2-4 years, first.

HAVE A CRAPLOAD OF MONEY
Invest $100,000 in a US-based-company (it can be your own) and you can apply for a business-related green card. They are currently processing applications for those who submitted applications for this sort of green card in 1993. So, you might get yours by 2020 if you're lucky. I think you can stay in the US during the processing, but I'm a little hazy on this. Also, I don't know how you're supposed to start a US business from Canada.

BE A SUPERSTAR
If you are an internationally-renouned celebrity there is a special visa for you. Don't know the details.

That's pretty much it in terms of legal immigration. Details available here:
USCIS Home Page . Best of luck.
That's a pretty harsh way to put it, but it's true. In order to get here legally, it takes years upon years of trying and thousands of dollars. I know of immigrant from the Ukraine who saved up $10,000 and had a navy friend (who was stationed over there many years ago, sparking the friendship) be his "sponsor."

He now makes $90,000/yr and just got told yesterday that he has not made enough money in the past year to bring his wife and children over from Ukraine. It's so disheartening.

Those who want to use the system legally get tossed to the side and get their hearts (set on U.S) broken. However, illegals get everything handed to them.

Easiest way is to try to get into a college over here and work hard, save money, and keep trying.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 139,230 times
so basically , i work for stream so if i get a transfer down there would that help?, or go to college or university because i am looking to go back to college by september next year? thanks.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:39 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Yes, to get transferred within the company is the easiest and less costly way to get to the USA. While you'er here, you can go to college and enjoy many of our liberties.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:50 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
I don't know the deal with company-sponsored transfers. Check the website.

Be sure to get a MS if you go back to school, because a BS gives you pretty much 0.5% chance of actually getting an H1-B and later a green card.

Also, no matter which way you chose, unless you're a legal maven, anticipate at least $5,000 in immigration lawyer's fees.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:05 AM

6 posts, read 76,568 times
I am from Ontario also and wish to relocate to California. There are only three ways to get there...marriage..employer sponsorship and family sponsorship. If marriage is an option..the person you marry has to show proof that she can afford to support you. The only family members that can sponsor you would be immediate members..mom, dad brothers or sisters. Lastly an employer has to sponsor you..you have to have so many years experience. The employer would also have to make sure there isn't eligible Americans who can do the job in the area. (Most employers dont want to sponsor) If you are a professional with a degree and many years experience you can file for a TN Visa..which you can get at the border. (This means being a doctor, lawyer, engineer, actor..etc) If you work in a trade you are not considered a professional...you have to get a labour certificate then a company to sponsor you. If you invest lots of money in a business you can come over on an investment visa....you can go to school there if you qualify...there is so much red tape...by the time you research and get shunned...you just want to give up.
The whole thing is we want to come in LEGALLY and we can't...but the illegals are working under the table and no one seems to care!!! It is not fair.
There is so much information...go to [url]www.uscis.gov You will do alot of reading but in the long run it is just a nice way of reading How Not To Get Into The Country!
I have tried to get into the USA for years and I have 30 years experience in my trade...if you come across any information I don't know..contact me.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:13 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
It's so sad that a fellow North American cannot come here but if he was from out-of-state, he could get there easily.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:40 AM

24 posts, read 102,701 times
Default Help

What about nurses, how does one go about getting sponsorship? and if you get lucky how long does it take for the green card? Can the whole family move over at the same time and can the partner work as well he’s a tile setter? We’re from N. Ireland and looking to move to connecticut.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:15 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus K View Post
What about nurses, how does one go about getting sponsorship? and if you get lucky how long does it take for the green card? Can the whole family move over at the same time and can the partner work as well he’s a tile setter? We’re from N. Ireland and looking to move to connecticut.
try contacting some nursing agencies. the first thing you need to find out is if your credentials are transferable to the US. they might not be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration