Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:55 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,702,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Why are there so many Mexicans coming to the United States to work? I'm not trying to offend anyone here, so please don't take my question the wrong way. I'm just curious. Is it the exchange rate?

Thanks.
If you had to live like they do you'd shop for a new place to live too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 05:02 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,115,223 times
I'm from Spain and as you all know, Castille, a part of the Spanish federation, discovered and conquered America.
Currently, Spain does not own any American territory because COLONIALISM is very expensive, and Spain went broke 200 years ago. Spain tried to cling to Cuba, but it was impossible and Cuba and Phyllipines were lost to the Americans.
Americans conquered a large part of Mexico when they were powerful and had a very high fertility rate (just as Castilians during the XVI and XVII centuries), but now Americans do not have a high fertility rate, their economic power is faultering, so the true owners of the land (Mexicans) are taking it back, call ot immigration, I call it recolonization.
The great advantage is that Mexicans do not want to destroy the US, or annex territory to Mexico, they are just happy with the American way of life.

Now, I find that all those invaders that call Mexican "illegal immigrants" are quite preposterous. Not only that, they are totally crazy.If I were them, I would start learning Spanish.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 PM

50,407 posts, read 64,151,599 times
OK, so here's what I don't understand....since the Mexicans are such hard working people, why isn't Mexico farther along in the food chain? I've been there, and the people were delightful. The Mexicans I encounter here are doing good work, so why can't the Mexican government make Mexico a super power?
Maybe it's too hot in Central America? Can you name a single hot country that is a contender in the world?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:11 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,115,223 times
None of your business, they'll find their way.
Mexico is North America, not Central America.
Mexico is a super power.
Don't you have a School System in the US capable of teaching geography to students?

Old 11-16-2011, 06:03 PM

10,172 posts, read 15,046,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
OK, so here's what I don't understand....since the Mexicans are such hard working people, why isn't Mexico farther along in the food chain? I've been there, and the people were delightful. The Mexicans I encounter here are doing good work, so why can't the Mexican government make Mexico a super power?
Maybe it's too hot in Central America? Can you name a single hot country that is a contender in the world?
Most of Mexico has a quite delightful climate, especially in the Central Plateau (where a huge chunk, if not most, of the population lives.) Not terribly hot at all, can't even be considered tropical. I know many people visit Cancun or Acapulco and think that's what most of Mexico is like, but in reality a relatively small part of Mexico has tropical weather.

Also, more important than hard work is working smartly and in Mexico they seem to finally be on the path to greater development (most of the population is already middle class, its 50-something percent, but it's more than what the typical American thinks). Another good thing about Mexico is that its not overextended with its debt, unlike some other supposedly rich but broke countries thanks to borrowing more than they produce (think of all those countries with debt-to-GDP ratios of over 100% such as Italy, Greece, etc.)

Mexico has now learn its lesson for depending too much on the US (it was the worst economic performer in all of Latin America thanks to its strong ties to the US economy.) Now is time to diversify the pool of countries they trade with and be on their merry way to prosperity and development. They should also learn from the mistakes the US and Western Europe did with their debt.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:14 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Money.

Not because they are greedy, but because just a little bit of money (by our standards) gives a Mexican from a poor background a huge opportunity for improvement, and a lot of security for his family back home.

One Mexican I know, came from a village in Guerrero, where he had three kids and his wife washed clothes on rocks in a river. He came to the USA illegally and worked here 2 or 3 years, earned a fair bit of money, learned a useful working skill, and went back. He took his family to Puerto Vallarta, where he has a regular job and a clean, modern little 3-room house in a pretty, safe neighborhood, and his kids go to good schools.

People like him are more than welcome to come to my country, and I'm proud, as an American, to have given him this chance and shared with him some of our bounty. Despite those of you who gave grudgingly.
Great post. Nice to see I'm not the only welcoming non-greedy American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
None of your business, they'll find their way.
Mexico is North America, not Central America.
Mexico is a super power.
Don't you have a School System in the US capable of teaching geography to students?
Nope, we don't. Corporate America likes to keep us fat, dumb and lazy. And I'm not kidding.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Most of Mexico has a quite delightful climate, especially in the Central Plateau (where a huge chunk, if not most, of the population lives.) Not terribly hot at all, can't even be considered tropical. I know many people visit Cancun or Acapulco and think that's what most of Mexico is like, but in reality a relatively small part of Mexico has tropical weather.
The climate may be lovely for tourism, but not for agriculture. Very little of Mexico gets consistent and moderate rainfall, like most of the USA. Mexico has no significant river systems to sustain irrigation. Their seasonal variation is extreme aridity alternating (in some places) with extreme rainfall. Forest cover is near zero, except on steep mountain slopes. There is even less grazing grassland.

The USA got off to a very good head start, because of our abundance of waterways that were navigable all year, which before rail, was the principal mode or transportation in America, and allowed our plentiful natural resources to move easily to industrial areas which had ideal climates for large populations to flourish. Our rivers produced nearly all our energy. Mexico was a century behind us in the mid-18th century, and when higher technology made it possible to develop more problematic areas, America just took the parts of Mexico that could be developed, including California. and their six longest rivers.

Mexico has three rivers that are over 500 miles in length. (The USA has 38.) Mexico has no rivers longer than the White River, which begins and ends in Arkansas. (The USA has 16.) That is a huge impediment to development.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-16-2011 at 08:06 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 08:58 PM

14 posts, read 32,069 times
The majority; to live off of Americans for FREE. I would do it to if I came from poverty!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:08 PM

625 posts, read 1,391,213 times
Quote:
efficiently mass-produced American (USA) crops like corn
Since when is "efficiently mass produced" a euphemism for "enormously government-subsidized"?

Quote:
Can you name a single hot country that is a contender in the world?
Singapore. Taiwan. Malaysia as an up-and-coming country.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseB View Post
The majority; to live off of Americans for FREE. I would do it to if I came from poverty!
How are Mexicans coming to this country living off of Americans for free? Everyone I've ever seen is working and I've lived in Florida where there are a lot of them. Not one was hanging out doing nothing. Can't say the same for a lot of Americans. Saw a lot of Mexicans picking in the fields then taking their paycheck and buying American goods. Very friendly, polite people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration