Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 09:52 AM

174 posts, read 132,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Poor guy. Imagine not being in a financial position to move out on your own, but having enough money to financially support an entire village. Must be hard being that helpless. I wonder if he also struggles to wipe his own behind.
It's likely the family has been receiving govt aid. From what I know, he's a very responsible, hard worker and quite loyal to his mother/sister/brother because of cultural bonds. He's not into partying or other irresponsible behavior and his mother frequently brags to her friends about how he's so responsible and takes care of the family. I'm sure the restrictions of the pandemic further isolated him to his family and he hasn't had much of a social circle. Sadly it sounds like he is the psychological husband/father to all of them. My guess is that he could find a way to move out if he shared a place with some friends. I'm sure that (or this 7 yr obligation) would hinder his plans to further his education. (He hasn't been able to do any of that due to supporting his family.) But I believe he is afraid of losing the "love" and connection with his family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 07:02 AM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post
It's likely the family has been receiving govt aid. From what I know, he's a very responsible, hard worker and quite loyal to his mother/sister/brother because of cultural bonds. He's not into partying or other irresponsible behavior and his mother frequently brags to her friends about how he's so responsible and takes care of the family. I'm sure the restrictions of the pandemic further isolated him to his family and he hasn't had much of a social circle. Sadly it sounds like he is the psychological husband/father to all of them. My guess is that he could find a way to move out if he shared a place with some friends. I'm sure that (or this 7 yr obligation) would hinder his plans to further his education. (He hasn't been able to do any of that due to supporting his family.) But I believe he is afraid of losing the "love" and connection with his family.
You seem to do a lot of guessing and believing.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:18 AM

150 posts, read 74,034 times
It does not add up that he is supporting the whole family yet cannot afford to move out on his own. If you do the math, moving out alone would be LESS costly for him as he would be feeding/housing 1 person rather than 4.

All that aside, if the family is so thin on finances, I'm also not sure they can 1. Qualify for a mortgage or 2. Afford a home at a time of record high housing prices.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:57 AM

174 posts, read 132,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by social_introvert View Post
It does not add up that he is supporting the whole family yet cannot afford to move out on his own. If you do the math, moving out alone would be LESS costly for him as he would be feeding/housing 1 person rather than 4.

All that aside, if the family is so thin on finances, I'm also not sure they can 1. Qualify for a mortgage or 2. Afford a home at a time of record high housing prices.
The family is not relying solely on him but he is basically the caretaker of them. They are also getting govt funds bc of their low HH income...and they received a lot of covid tax relief funds. The mother isn't working, but the son and the daughter are. They are also benefitting by him filing taxes as "head of household." Their house purchase situation isn't typical (but I don't know the details) and it may not be a single family house. Perhaps it's as other posters said--a "free" house with stipulations. That's what my original question was about.
Of course people don't stay in a bad situation unless they are receiving some sort of benefit--his mom cooks and cleans and he has a family to go home to. I don't think he's ready to let go of that. Also, rent prices are through the roof so he could not afford to rent a place without others.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:21 AM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
The family is not relying solely on him but he is basically the caretaker of them. They are also getting govt funds bc of their low HH income...and they received a lot of covid tax relief funds. The mother isn't working, but the son and the daughter are. They are also benefitting by him filing taxes as "head of household." Their house purchase situation isn't typical (but I don't know the details) and it may not be a single family house. Perhaps it's as other posters said--a "free" house with stipulations. That's what my original question was about.
Of course people don't stay in a bad situation unless they are receiving some sort of benefit--his mom cooks and cleans and he has a family to go home to. I don't think he's ready to let go of that. Also, rent prices are through the roof so he could not afford to rent a place without others.
Besides curiosity - what dog do you have in this hunt? Ask them and they may tell you.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:35 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
You seem to know a lot about this family without knowing whether they currently live in an apartment or a trailer (as mentioned in your first post). Just curious — how is this your business?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-17-2022 at 10:48 AM..

Old 05-17-2022, 01:32 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
OP is not familiar with the mexican culture thus is looking up the wrong tree. ...how i know this from living in mexico now for 29 yrs...mexican wife in mexico city you can get my drift....family issues and all the good stuff. better she/he leave matters alone as they will do things their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration