Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 03:39 PM

1,234 posts, read 941,091 times

Advertisements

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-eu-passports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 06:00 PM

230 posts, read 164,768 times
That seems high but ok.

Old 10-23-2022, 09:12 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
My father-in-law was born in Germany, so my (American) husband is eligible for citizenship. Unfortunately, our kids are not eligible (Germany, unlike some EU countries, doesn't recognize the grandchildren of citizens), and they are the ones who would really care about it.

My brother-in-law was smarter. He got his German citizenship before he had children, so his kids are dual US / German citizens. Although mostly raised in Germany, they freely go back and forth and have lived and worked in the US for up to two years at a time.

Old 10-25-2022, 08:20 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Since the eastern European borders kept moving around during my grandmother's time, it's uncertain in what country she was actually born!

Since the family fled as refugees grabbing a few things to carry, official papers were not on their list of things to take.

Old 10-25-2022, 07:40 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
I recently found out that Italy will grant citizenship through a great grandparent! Couple of caveats. It has to be through a Male and he could not have renounced Italian citizenship. Doing genealogy I have the records showing mine never became a Naturalized US Citizen. My great grandma did not get Naturalized until after her husband passed away. Read between the lines of that. Lol

Old 10-28-2022, 01:41 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
My son is considering moving to Germany, and he would stand a good chance at gaining German citizenship. My wife's mother is German- she holds dual citizenship. We have a ton of family in Germany too.

He speaks German pretty well too, and he's currently going for his PhD in mechanical engineering. He'd have a great shot at becoming a German citizen.

Old 10-28-2022, 03:01 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My son is considering moving to Germany, and he would stand a good chance at gaining German citizenship. My wife's mother is German- she holds dual citizenship. We have a ton of family in Germany too.

He speaks German pretty well too, and he's currently going for his PhD in mechanical engineering. He'd have a great shot at becoming a German citizen.
I hope it works out for him. He will have to live there for eight years to begin with. Unfortunately his grandmother and other family members being German citizens does not confer any rights or advantages.

Old 10-29-2022, 07:46 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I hope it works out for him. He will have to live there for eight years to begin with. Unfortunately his grandmother and other family members being German citizens does not confer any rights or advantages.
This is correct, although a person could take an "integration course" at a Volkshochschule (like a community college) and apply for citizenship after 7 years of residence. If a person can pass a B2 (semi advanced level) German language test they can apply after 6 years of residence. Or, if a person marries a German citizen and lives in Germany for 3 years (with 2 years of marriage) with their spouse, they can apply for citizenship. The application process is not for those who lack patience - approval can take 2 years after everything is submitted.

German citizenship is not needed for a US citizen to live in Germany for work, study or even retirement. I don't know why so many here on CD make a big deal about trying to get citizenship from another country in addition to their US citizenship. Germany does not promote dual citizenship. Current citizens of non-EU countries are usually required to give up their native citizenship if they want to become a naturalized citizen of Germany.

Old 10-29-2022, 10:31 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
German citizenship for the child of a citizen is not that difficult.
https://www.germany.info/us-de/servi...erwerb/1216790

Concerning your 8-year requirement you may want to read this
https://www.bmi.bund.de/DE/themen/ve...nspflicht.html

Old 10-29-2022, 10:34 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
My father-in-law was born in Germany, so my (American) husband is eligible for citizenship. Unfortunately, our kids are not eligible (Germany, unlike some EU countries, doesn't recognize the grandchildren of citizens), and they are the ones who would really care about it.

My brother-in-law was smarter. He got his German citizenship before he had children, so his kids are dual US / German citizens. Although mostly raised in Germany, they freely go back and forth and have lived and worked in the US for up to two years at a time.
You can always go the route of grandparent - parent - child if all parties satisfy the requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration