Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 08:03 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
I'm just starting my green card process and was wondering when my spouse will be able to obtain a SSN in order to obtain gainful employment (she is currently on a H4 Visa).

I know the H1B to Green Card process consists of 3 stages:
1) Labor Certificate
2) I-140: Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker
3) I-485: Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

I know that stages 2 and 3 can be done concurrently, however I have been given conflicting information on when my wife would be able to obtain her work permit/SSN.

Some have said that she can apply for a work permit concurrently with my I-485 application. Others say we need to wait until all the stages are complete and only then can she apply for a SSN.

My issue is that the I-140 and I-485 stages may take a year or more, so having my wife being able to work while those stages are going on would be highly financially advantageous for us (and will keep her sane instead of staying at home most of the time).

Any clarification is appreciated, especially from those that have gone through the process already.
On Step 3. You file for EAD (employment authorization) and AP (advanced parole, to leave country and come back freely) along with the I-485.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,440 times
Following up on what you said @trying harder, if the dependent's spouse gets an employer to sponsor her h1b, either a cap-exempt or a non-cap exempt, what would happen when her spouse applies for the GC? Since they are already married, can he apply for his and her GC together, while she is under an h1b visa? How would the process be later when the status changes from h1b to GC holder?

Thank you in advance for any comments that you may have to answer my questions!

Old 07-09-2014, 03:15 PM

983 posts, read 1,634,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigration Questions View Post
Following up on what you said @trying harder, if the dependent's spouse gets an employer to sponsor her h1b, either a cap-exempt or a non-cap exempt, what would happen when her spouse applies for the GC? Since they are already married, can he apply for his and her GC together, while she is under an h1b visa? How would the process be later when the status changes from h1b to GC holder?

The dependant will get his/her own GC along with the original filer (provided she was put in all the I-485 papers). He/She would then tell her employer to switch the I-9 document from the H1B's I94 to the GC.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:39 PM

282 posts, read 444,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigration Questions View Post

Yes, she just submits her adjustment of status (or immigrant visa application, if going through the consulate) along with his, and get the GC as his dependent. She can keep her H-1B while the application is pending, or get a work authorization if it's an adjustment of status. The advantage of keeping the H-1B is that, if something goes wrong with the GC application, she has the H to fall back on.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,440 times
Thank you so much for your quick responses!

Old 07-16-2014, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 25,303 times
Default Thanks

Thanks!, appreciate your detailed response.
I will finish my 6th yr by end of 2015 and hope the new rule gets active and my spouse gets to work.

Regards
Vinod

Old 11-20-2014, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,797 times
Default GC process for spouse

Hi, I will complete my 6 years of stay in US with no GC filed. My spouse's company is ready to file his GC in EB2. What are the options I have to earn legally in US without stepping away from here? - Like work for non-profit and then they file GC, study etc..

Thank you
Rupali!!!

Old 11-20-2014, 05:53 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodkatkuri View Post
Hi,

2. Is there any progress on the new rule where H4 holders will be allowed to apply for EAD (With restrictions)

Regards
Vinod
You will know at 8 pm tonight..

Old 11-26-2014, 05:40 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
This link has lot of information about proposed changes in immigration for H-1B spouses.

Awesome - High Skilled Legal Immigration Changes by Executive Action

Old 12-02-2014, 06:31 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
She can work when she gets her green card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration