Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times

Advertisements

10 year green cards? conditional green cards? i've never heard of such a thing. in my experience you either get a green card or you dont,and when you do get one you are a legal landed resident of the USA,I know at least a dozen friends and family members that have had green cards for 20-40 years and have never been asked for a subsequent green card interview.
Are you not mixing up a green card with a work visa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 02:26 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,079 times
Things changed a lot after 9/11, jambo.

Now, normally, people get ten year greencards when they immigrate. It doesn't usually mean you have a big interview every ten years, but you need to pay a fee and do some paperwork if you choose not to go for citizenship before the ten years are up. If you get your greencard based on marriage to a US citizen, and you are married less than two years when you immigrate, you get a 2 year conditional greencard. It's basically to help stop marriage immigration fraud- after two years in the USA, you need to apply to remove conditions, and prove you have a bonafide marriage and live together or there are very good reasons why you are not.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:39 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
My brother has had a green card for 40 years and never became an American citizen,he says it would cost too much Some people around the world would give up their first born to be legally residing in the USA,
I'll bet if they told him that he's going back to Canada if he doesnt get his American citizenship he'd be at the citizenship office tomorrow morning..

Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
Your brother may be out of status. I believe old Green Cards retroactively expire now. His probably is. Don't let him visit Arizona before he verifies his status.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:33 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Your brother may be out of status. I believe old Green Cards retroactively expire now. His probably is. Don't let him visit Arizona before he verifies his status.
What does expired Green Card have to do with being a US permanent resident? When your US passport expires, you're still a US citizen, aren't you?

Green Card to a permanent resident is just like a passport to a US citizen: It confirms your status in the country. Expirations of those documents don't automatically mean you're not a legal permanent resident or a US citizen anymore. You just need to renew the pr card or the passport.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:50 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
What does expired Green Card have to do with being a US permanent resident? When your US passport expires, you're still a US citizen, aren't you?

Green Card to a permanent resident is just like a passport to a US citizen: It confirms your status in the country. Expirations of those documents don't automatically mean you're not a legal permanent resident or a US citizen anymore. You just need to renew the pr card or the passport.
You're right. I should have said "out of compliance" instead of "out of status."

However, not being able to produce an up-to-date Green Card will cause problems when traveling overseas or through some states.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:25 AM

61 posts, read 200,655 times
Where are people getting the information that an interview for a 10 GC is bad news, It's mostly a requirement.

Most people don't need an interview for the 2 year conditional GC as they are mostly transferred to the CSC. They then have to go for an interview once they remove conditions.

The interview is based on to see if the marriage is real. You have to take proof there is co-mingling with finances eg- joint tax returns, lease or mortage, car insurance, joint bank accounts etc etc.

I myself had to have an interview for the 10 GC but not the 2 year. It was plain sailing and piece of pi$$. The only time couples are separated is only if there is a Stokes Interview needed, then that's done on the second interview.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 26,483 times
hello everyone, i had my fingerprints on July 2011, and im still waiting my green card for 10 years. how long should take to receive it. also im leaving for 1 year in Europe, what i need to do to keep my green card ? if i dont receive the card before leaving, what kind of adress do i need to give to inmigration (a mailbox is ok? thank you everybody so much.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 23,511 times
Default Relax

I went to my 2nd interview and they didn't separate us. The interview was less than 10 min and they will direct most of the questions to the one who is applying for the condition to be removed. If they will do an interview where they are planning to separate you, they will send you a notice before.

My advice is to formulate different questions that you are unsure and practice the answer so becomes more natural. If you don't know, just say you don't know. Be sure you know all your dates VERY WELL.

Good luck to all of you!

Last edited by CAROMANI; 02-28-2013 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: font

Old 08-08-2015, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 11,540 times
What was the nature of the questions asked in the interview for removal of conditional....? What if petitioner is not present only beneficiary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration