Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:05 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
They have order 36 Dual locos that will be used to bridge the gap on the Diesel lines , so people can have a one seat ride into in NYC from the Raritan Valley line...
See, now that would make a big difference. I (maybe incorrectly) thought that it was more than just have Dual locos. I thought that in order to get a one seat ride into NYC on the Raritan Valley line it was necessary to have a new tunnel to handle the increased load.

Is there any chance of having the single seat ride in the next few years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 11:26 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
See, now that would make a big difference. I (maybe incorrectly) thought that it was more than just have Dual locos. I thought that in order to get a one seat ride into NYC on the Raritan Valley line it was necessary to have a new tunnel to handle the increased load.

Is there any chance of having the single seat ride in the next few years?
Next year , a few one seat ride trains on the Raritan Valley line and North Jersey Coast line. For now they rearrange some trains to fit the New trains....or merge trains...

Old 11-20-2011, 12:01 PM

Default Tall buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth777 View Post
IM tired of seeing that hiddous PPL Building in Downtown Allentown.... Someone should purchase land to build more taller buildings in Downtown Allentown. Shoot Allentown's Mayor Ed Pawlossky took property from owners to build an arena for Allentown Entertainment and to reduce taxes. Why not do the same by Building A 40 floor atractive looking skyscraper for residential, shopping, and entertainment. Allentown would look alot better with more tall structures for bussiness and restaurants. What do you think and spread the news to Ed Pawlosky at Allentown.org. But please leave info here to.
There are exactly three mid level skyscrapers (over 300' tall) in all of Pennsylvania outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.
(1) 333 Market Street Harrisburg near Amtrak station
341', 22 stories, built in 1978
(2) Martin Tower, former offices of Bethlehem Steel Corporation
332', 21 stories, built in 1972
(3) PP&L Tower in Allentown
322' 24 stories, built in 1928

Skyscrapers are driven partly by ego, and mostly by very high prices for land. A corporate entity in the Lehigh Valley is going to be more interested in a beautiful campus than a high rise. The cost of building housing or hotels higher than the 100' that the ladder of a fire truck can reach becomes exponentially expensive.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 PM

677 posts, read 851,890 times
Then what was the driving force behind the current mid or high rises in Allentown? I see that the PP&L building was built before the Stock market crash- OK that might be corporate ego. The 19 story Episcopal house, built in 1968, seems to have been built at a time senior housing project were proliferating in Pennsylvania's smaller cities, yes - that might be government spending ego? And the Americus Center rises higher than the fire ladder can reach - that might be civic and corporate ego. In what ways is the civic environment in Allentown different today than yesteryear that prevents larger scale development from happening in Center City? Other than the hockey arena project, has humility trumped ego? Or is the civic leadership too happy with the status quo? Or... other priorities being addressed first?

Old 05-23-2012, 03:30 PM

21 posts, read 43,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinearchit View Post
What's wrong with the PPL Building? It's a beautiful example of 1920s urban architecture. As is most of the city of Allentown, for that matter. The rowhomes, houses, mansions, and commercial buildings from Allentown's prime are all, when observed, quite striking. They just need some attention and restoration.
agree! when i visited allentown on house-hunting trips and we drove through and around downtown i was expecting the worst from what i've read on this board, but couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. i think the city has a lot of potential. i currently work in downtown pittsburgh and have seen the transformation this city has gone through (formerly a steel town as well). what pittsburgh does have that it sounds as though allentown is currently lacking is a large corporate presence downtown. like previous posters said, they need to attract more businesses. if that can be done, i feel like there is a lot of upside.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
It needs Rail connections to NJ and Philly...its very a isolated city but the surrounding areas are nice.
While the sentiment is wonderful, I just feel like the commuter rail is way too slow along the I78 corridor, even from the close in suburbs. It will be hopelessly slow from the Lehigh Valley.

Raritan is 46.5 miles from midtown Manhattan, and is the lfurthest stop for the most frequent commuter trains. Leaving early morning takes 86 minutes because you are required to change in Newark. That is already too slow by about half an hour. By the time you extend that to the Lehigh Valley, it will be much slower than a bus.

Depart : RARITAN at 6:16 AM
Board : Train 5506 toward NEWARK PENN STATION
Arrive : NEWARK PENN STATION at 7:14 AM
Depart: NEWARK PENN STATION at 7:22 AM
Board : Train 7208 toward NEW YORK PENN STATION
Arrive : NEW YORK PENN STATION at 7:42 AM

Old 05-26-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
While the sentiment is wonderful, I just feel like the commuter rail is way too slow along the I78 corridor, even from the close in suburbs. It will be hopelessly slow from the Lehigh Valley.

Raritan is 46.5 miles from midtown Manhattan, and is the lfurthest stop for the most frequent commuter trains. Leaving early morning takes 86 minutes because you are required to change in Newark. That is already too slow by about half an hour. By the time you extend that to the Lehigh Valley, it will be much slower than a bus.

Depart : RARITAN at 6:16 AM
Board : Train 5506 toward NEWARK PENN STATION
Arrive : NEWARK PENN STATION at 7:14 AM
Depart: NEWARK PENN STATION at 7:22 AM
Board : Train 7208 toward NEW YORK PENN STATION
Arrive : NEW YORK PENN STATION at 7:42 AM
Part of the reason for it being slow is the congestion and waiting to merge into the NEC , by 2030 they hope shave off 30 mins....by adding more tracks and a Grade Separated Interchange in Newark... The Lehigh will get 2 lines , one to Newark via the Raritan Valley and one to Newark via Morristown which will be the slowest line but better connected to the Job corridor in NJ. The Future in General will be faster for Rail in NJ and then PA....

Old 05-27-2012, 05:09 PM

What is the motivation? A corporate campus is just as prestigious, and far cheaper to build than a skyscraper?

Martin Tower (101 meters, 331') is 40 years old and empty. You don't see any empty corporate campuses do you?

Central Allentown is denser than most of Philadelphia, but most people work in the suburbs.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:07 PM

677 posts, read 851,890 times
I don't agree that a corporate campus is as prestigious as a central address.
I don't know about LV corporate campuses, but I won't believe that suburban campuses do not experience vacancy rates, especially campuses built in the 1970's, 1980's etc. They go through their cycles of boom and bust. Malls become vacant as new shopping trends replace older.
I have lived in both Allentown and Philadelphia, and there is no way that Allentown's central core is denser than most any part of Philadelphia, with the exception of the farthest reaches of NW Phila and other extremities.
I'm just wondering if it's mostly city politics that is getting in the way of healthy redevelopment in a city I liked alot back when. Allentown has wonderful infrastructure and a beautiful building stock.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
What is the motivation? A corporate campus is just as prestigious, and far cheaper to build than a skyscraper?

Martin Tower (101 meters, 331') is 40 years old and empty. You don't see any empty corporate campuses do you?

Central Allentown is denser than most of Philadelphia, but most people work in the suburbs.
Actually Corporate Campuses are becoming a thing of the past , as more Corporations move into the cities. Having Everything in one building saves $$$ and Urban Environments are more popular with employees aswell with higher ups since your not confined to the campus and don't have drive somewhere else to get lunch. Smaller Companies usually go for older buildings , larger companies go for Skyscrapers which they build themselves , Amazon is building a Massive Skyscraper Complex in Seattle. Panasonic is building a high rise in Newark , and other Suburban Jersey companies are looking to move to Newark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley