Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,280 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know somewhere I can contract to have an antenna installed? I've had no luck finding anyone to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 04:38 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times
Don't know any installers, as hardly anyone has antennas. My advice is to check your address on tvfool.com as there are a lot of hills around here.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:58 PM

143 posts, read 464,069 times
We have lived in this neighborhood for 66 years. Without cable TV reception was nearly useless or none and one of the reasons the first TV Cable Companies in America Service Electric started in the Lehigh Valley.

Now there are more choices of cable/disc TV however using an antennas has not changed and is still useless because of the terrain and mountains.

There is NO one in our area using antennas or trying to anymore.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:46 PM

995 posts, read 2,728,910 times
Probably off topic, but I'm towards the tail end of the 2nd week of no cable tv. I was paying more for my RCN triple play package than my sister who has FIOS in NYC. Im doing the Netflix and hulu plus combo and sharing my sister's HBO go. I do miss my wfmz in the morning and the occasional sports game. But aside from those two. I dont miss paying high cable bill.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:00 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,014,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Probably off topic, but I'm towards the tail end of the 2nd week of no cable tv. I was paying more for my RCN triple play package than my sister who has FIOS in NYC. Im doing the Netflix and hulu plus combo and sharing my sister's HBO go. I do miss my wfmz in the morning and the occasional sports game. But aside from those two. I dont miss paying high cable bill.
Do you have a ROKU? WFMZ Webcast / Archives (Last week or so) the news on NoWhere TV , It one of the channels in the store (Free).

Old 05-09-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I do miss my wfmz in the morning and the occasional sports game. But aside from those two. I dont miss paying high cable bill.
WFMZ and PBS39 are the easiest channels to pull in with a cheap $10 antenna.
http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/antennas/?sku=ANT111F

For $39.99 plus fees, RCN also offers an inexpensive package that includes Internet and local broadcast stations only: called Limited Basic. The biggest fee is rental of a set top box.

You need one of the following for one TV.
$5.50/mo Digital Converter Box (standard definition only)
$9.95/mo TiVo Preview (includes Netflix tuner. You don't need Roku or equivalent box)
$11.95/mo HD Converter Box (usually for customers without internet)
$14.95/mo HD/DVR Converter box (usually for customers without internet)
$24.95/mo TiVo Premiere Quad

I would suggest one of the two most expensive set-top boxes as they allow you to record TV and watch it later. Even with ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX this makes watching TV much more convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN
Offer valid only for new residential RCN customers or customers with accounts in good standing and who have not had RCN’s service within the last 60 (sixty) days. Expires May 31, 2014. Price is promotional rate for RCN’s Limited Basic and High-Speed Internet Bundle and is valid for 12 months from installation date; months 13-24 rate is $49.99, months 25-36 rate is $59.99; thereafter regular retail rates apply. A digital converter and modem is required to subscribe to this promotional rate at an additional monthly cost of $10.00. A Broadcast TV Surcharge of $3.98 is applicable to all RCN cable packages with Basic Digital TV Tier and high and a Sports Surcharge of $1.97 is applicable to all RCN cable packages with Signature Digital TV Tier and/or Premiere Tier and/or Sports Packages/Tiers. Add-ons not included. If customer service selections change (whether voluntarily or due to non-payment), remaining service charges revert to RCN standard individual service monthly charges. All sales subject to credit check. All rates subject to applicable surcharges, equipment taxes, franchise fees, and other government imposed charges and fees and are not included in the price. No substitutions. Digital TV refers to RCN Limited Basic Cable TV package only. HD programming requires an HD converter. Internet download speeds of up to 25 Mbps may vary and are not guaranteed.
All Rights Reserved. © 2014 RCN Telecom Services (Lehigh), LLC. All rights reserved.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 05-09-2014 at 11:52 AM..

Old 05-09-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Do you have a ROKU? WFMZ Webcast / Archives (Last week or so) the news on NoWhere TV , It one of the channels in the store (Free).
I do. Also thinking about getting Google chrome cast for the bedroom. I failed to mentioned that I did the antenna thing a while back. Can't recall the name of the product, but I got it from best buy. It came with a portable antenna that connected to my laptop and had tv tuner software. I was only able to get a few local channels and nothing else. I returned the device back to best buy.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Also thinking about getting Google chrome cast for the bedroom.
ROKU HDMI stick is $50, and Google Chromecast is $30 on sale. The Roku is a better product for two reasons. First you have the option of controlling with a remote as well as with your phone or table. Second is you can get more channels.

Quote:
I failed to mentioned that I did the antenna thing a while back. Can't recall the name of the product, but I got it from best buy. It came with a portable antenna that connected to my laptop and had tv tuner software. I was only able to get a few local channels and nothing else. I returned the device back to best buy.
The product didn't fail you. All you can get with an antenna is local channels because of the hills. Instead of spending the money for a computer TV tuner, just attach a cheap $10 antenna to the back of your TV. All you can get is WFMZ, but you only spent $10.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:01 PM

Just found my old am/fm antenna that I use to use with my yamaha receiver. Connected it to the tv. Scanned channels and boom. Wfmz.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Just found my old am/fm antenna that I use to use with my yamaha receiver. Connected it to the tv. Scanned channels and boom. Wfmz.
You should be able to get all 9 channels from South Mountain (2 in High Defintion)

All channels are standard definition (480i) unless specified
39.1 PBS 1080i
39.2 V-me (Spanish)
39.3 Create
60.1 Main WBPH programming (Pat Huber's channel)
60.2 BizTV Affiliate Channel
69.1 WFMZ (Ind.) 720p
69.2 AccuWX
69.3 Tuff TV
69.4 Retro TV

Try to get an elevation profile from the stations in Philadelphia. If you look at mine (enclosed file) you see that there are two substantial hills in the way. 1) South Mountain Lehigh University, 2) Flint Hill northeast of Coopersburg.

Between them, even a 100' tower wouldn't get TV reception.

You may be better positioned, but I doubt it. Sometimes it is easier to receive Wilkes Barre stations.

South Mountain where WLVT and WFMZ are located is only 7 miles from me. There is an 800' hill south of the Lehigh River near Fountain Hill, but the broadcast tower is sufficiently tall to clear that hill for the majority of people.
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone use an antenna in Lehigh Valley-philadelphia-tv-elevation.jpg   Does anyone use an antenna in Lehigh Valley-wfmz-lvt-elevation-profile.jpg  

Last edited by PacoMartin; 05-10-2014 at 09:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley