Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:28 PM

151 posts, read 693,516 times

Advertisements

Ok so me and my family were supposed to move to GA from NYC but things did not work out. Now we are looking to move to PA (TO GET AWAY FROM THE EXPENSIVE LIFE IN NYC) preferably Bethlehem and I am we are looking for a 3 bedroom home to rent and we are seeing prices $1300 and up on craigslist. Home prices have also shot up like Bucks county. I did not realize how the area has grown. We saw very reasonable prices in scranton but that area was just on the worst places to live list no offense SWB (although they did say its picking up slowly) So now im confused as to where to move to and we want to move at the end of March, boxes are packed.

Heres our stats:
My hubby works in long island will continue to work there for only a few months until he gets the transfer and he drives to work. Im unemployed right now with 2 kids and would like to open a daycare center where ever we move to. Any suggestions? should I be looking in other websites for homes to rent? and yes it has to be a home not an apartment. our prices range is something under $1000 for 3 bedrooms. Is this unrealistic? thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 04:24 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
What's happening is people from NYC are moving here to get away from living in the city. go figure!

If I were you and in need of a quick move I would be looking at the Sunday and daily morning call newspaper. You can look at the classifieds on line at Lehigh Valley news, Allentown news, Bethlehem news, pocono news, Easton news from The Morning Call and mcall.com -- themorningcall.com Also, I would hook up with a Realtor today and have her/him working on finding you a place to rent. Rental houses are harder to come by and with two colleges in Bethlehem, you have a lot of competition with the students. The kids that attend Moravian, and especially Lehigh, won't think much of splitting a house for even $1500 a month.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:47 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
I think you can find a rental in your price range, but you really need to check out the areas though - it will not be easy to get a nice rental in a great neighborhood in your price range. Things have risen so much around here that it is just incredible.

If you consider an "outlying" area such as Northampton, up into Carbon County, or up into the Slate Belt, I am sure you could find a 3 bedroom home easily there, but not sure if that will work as far as your proposed home daycare.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:38 AM

242 posts, read 837,336 times
Default Check with builders as well

Being in Real Estate, I have noticed builders are willing to rent some of the houses that are currently built but not selling.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 AM

392 posts, read 1,375,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam8573 View Post
NY/NJ people are moving here to get away from city life but they are creating the same conditions in PA that they are trying to escape in NY/NJ. i.e. traffic, overcrowding in schools, increasing taxes, increasing crime. Stay where you are. You are slowly destroying my hometown. Thanks
LOL! We have enough Yankees fans

Old 11-10-2009, 01:28 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
Come one. Come all. I resent this local mentality. If you're from Cleveland, Chicago, Toronto, or wherever, I do not care. Come on in! I welcome you. Do not pay any attention to some of the Lehizzle Valley *******s. I am one of the Progressive folks. I welcome you, and other progressive hipsters welcome you.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:07 PM

392 posts, read 1,375,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Come one. Come all. I resent this local mentality. If you're from Cleveland, Chicago, Toronto, or wherever, I do not care. Come on in! I welcome you. Do not pay any attention to some of the Lehizzle Valley *******s. I am one of the Progressive folks. I welcome you, and other progressive hipsters welcome you.
Really? I get sick of seeing New York this and New York that around. If people are so in love with NY, then go back. We dont need "New York Urban" and "new york barbers" etc.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:02 PM

124 posts, read 342,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavs View Post
Really? I get sick of seeing New York this and New York that around. If people are so in love with NY, then go back. We dont need "New York Urban" and "new york barbers" etc.
No one here who is leaving NY said that they love NY......I don't understand this. I am from NJ moving to PA. I am moving bc NJ has become outrageous all around and it's not worth the money to live there honestly. I think most ppl feel this way, hence the reason for moving to PA. We PREFER it....we don't love what we are leaving - THAT'S WHY WE ARE LEAVING! lol

Old 11-11-2009, 12:05 PM

124 posts, read 342,099 times
[quote=cam8573;11532501]NY/NJ people are moving here to get away from city life but they are creating the same conditions in PA that they are trying to escape in NY/NJ. i.e. traffic, overcrowding in schools, increasing taxes, increasing crime. Stay where you are. You are slowly destroying my hometown. Thanks[/quote

LOL this is just flat out ignorant and rude. Why do you even bother coming to the forum if you know that all you are going to do is get angry? This forum is basically all about ppl trying to find info on PA bc they are moving there from another state. You must come here bc you like to argue. How embarrassing.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:02 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renee_cal View Post
Ok so me and my family were supposed to move to GA from NYC but things did not work out. Now we are looking to move to PA (TO GET AWAY FROM THE EXPENSIVE LIFE IN NYC) preferably Bethlehem and I am we are looking for a 3 bedroom home to rent and we are seeing prices $1300 and up on craigslist. Home prices have also shot up like Bucks county. I did not realize how the area has grown. We saw very reasonable prices in scranton but that area was just on the worst places to live list no offense SWB (although they did say its picking up slowly) So now im confused as to where to move to and we want to move at the end of March, boxes are packed.

Heres our stats:
My hubby works in long island will continue to work there for only a few months until he gets the transfer and he drives to work. Im unemployed right now with 2 kids and would like to open a daycare center where ever we move to. Any suggestions? should I be looking in other websites for homes to rent? and yes it has to be a home not an apartment. our prices range is something under $1000 for 3 bedrooms. Is this unrealistic? thanks in advance for your help!
Let's get back to the OP please.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley