Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2018, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,637 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are from Queens, NY. Me and my husband have been discussing to move out of NYC for quite some time and have focused on Lehigh Valley, PA. Even though New York has its "Opportunities", it is so expensive to live and raise a family here. We have a 4 year old boy and want to give him a better living environment. We visited friends in Emmaus and fell in love. Though I have noticed it can be a little more expensive to buy a home than other areas. We want to avoid Allentown since the school district isn’t very good. We are still open to buy anywhere around but with an excellent school district. Our Budget is $250k to start off with on a home.

My main concern is how’s the job market for both me and my husband. I currently work in the Fashion wholesale industry (administrative side). I have Bachelors in Business (BBA) so I’m open to any administrative jobs. My husband is a CDL local truck driver.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 05:40 AM

409 posts, read 370,609 times
Emmaus is the most charming town in the area (besides Bethlehem, which is more of a small city with a bad school district). You're right that you have a pay a premium to live there though.

If you live in Lower Macungie, you're close enough to Emmaus that it's only a short drive - there are lots of houses in that price range there. It's the same school district as Emmaus (East Penn School District). I lived in Ancient Oaks (a "town" which is a glorified housing development) and there are plenty of standalone houses going for $250k there.

Upper Macungie is a little further away from Emmaus, more expensive than Lower Macungie, and in a higher-regarded school district (Parkland). A $250k budget will probably force you into a townhouse here.

And just so you're aware, Upper Macungie and Lower Macungie are townships. There are various towns within those townships, which is confusing. To make things even more odd, Macungie Borough isn't in Lower Macungie or Upper Macungie; it's its own thing.

Upper and Lower Macungie are opening a tons of new warehouses, which most people hate because of the truck traffic, but it should be convenient for your husband to find a job.

As I warn everybody, western Lehigh Valley is "slow". As you move east, things get more fast paced. Moving from NYC, you might get frustrated with the pace of things in western Lehigh Valley.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:33 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HERNANDEZ11369 View Post
Hi everyone,

We are from Queens, NY. Me and my husband have been discussing to move out of NYC for quite some time and have focused on Lehigh Valley, PA. Even though New York has its "Opportunities", it is so expensive to live and raise a family here. We have a 4 year old boy and want to give him a better living environment. We visited friends in Emmaus and fell in love. Though I have noticed it can be a little more expensive to buy a home than other areas. We want to avoid Allentown since the school district isn’t very good. We are still open to buy anywhere around but with an excellent school district. Our Budget is $250k to start off with on a home.

My main concern is how’s the job market for both me and my husband. I currently work in the Fashion wholesale industry (administrative side). I have Bachelors in Business (BBA) so I’m open to any administrative jobs. My husband is a CDL local truck driver.
Any of the suburbs will have good school districts and there are a lot of warehouses looking for drivers (sorry, I have no insight into admin jobs).

My advice is to find a home in an area and local commute that you like

Old 10-16-2018, 09:03 PM

378 posts, read 587,207 times
Why not look in Easton? There are some real nice areas, but I’m not familiar with the schools.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:22 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
Why not look in Easton? There are some real nice areas, but I’m not familiar with the schools.
They aren't good.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:57 PM

566 posts, read 573,833 times
We were very happy with the schools as were the vast majority of our neighbors.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:25 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HERNANDEZ11369 View Post

Good luck trying to find a job of any kind in the fashion industry in the Lehigh Valley. That business does not exist there. But there are many large businesses and industries in the area so you'd have to retool and try and find an entry level position in a new field. You could also commute to your current job in NYC and there are people in the Lehigh Valley who do but it would be a hardship.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:45 PM

160 posts, read 152,456 times
Try Palmerton, Pa.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:34 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Good luck trying to find a job of any kind in the fashion industry in the Lehigh Valley. That business does not exist there. But there are many large businesses and industries in the area so you'd have to retool and try and find an entry level position in a new field. You could also commute to your current job in NYC and there are people in the Lehigh Valley who do but it would be a hardship.
If she's willing to work outside of fashion in an administrative capacity (as noted above) there are jobs, especially within the hospital systems. Though, she may find the pay scale a bit shocking (I know I do and kept my NYC job because of it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley