Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 04:11 PM

113 posts, read 309,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmomma6 View Post
Can someone tell me what part of Allentown is good? West, East, is there a certain street we should stay away from?
West side and east side is good. stay away from any streets below 14th st. They are almost bad with alot of crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,290 times
Is the area at 8th and green safe?

Old 02-21-2009, 11:48 PM

611 posts, read 1,992,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syphorous523 View Post
Is the area at 8th and green safe?
Absolutely not. There have been several murders in that area.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,493 times
i know this is an old thread - but i'm bumping because i have the same question. my wife and i are moving there (military) and according to the posts here from some years back - the word seems to be "stay away from the downtown area.

we're looking at a place in lower macungie township (if i spelled it right); west of highway 476 and just south of 222. any comments? concerns?

thanks in advance. and hey - i'm looking to join the police force when i get there ... so with fingers crossed, i can help aid in the clean up!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:41 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,941,024 times
Calvin, the area you are looking in is very quiet with minimal problems, a different world from downtown Allentown.

I wish you lots of luck finding employment in law enforcement. Many municipalities have cut their budgets and it can be quite tricky finding a job. When I sat on the civil service board in our small town, I was amazed by the number of applications for the one full-time position we had, and that was before the economy really got tough. You can look around for departments hiring part-time and perhaps try to get your foot in the door that way.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:57 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,145,425 times
I would advise moving around 20th st. The area by the fairgrounds has become rugged. It has nothing to do with race. Many well to do Latinos and African Americans have moved in to these areas and they are outstanding people. I have toasted drinks with them at the Liberty STreet Tavern. There are quite a few jabronies walking around with baby carriages and their pants down. You have to ban together with others to fight the sickness!

Old 08-05-2011, 07:05 PM

23 posts, read 64,645 times
I guess this would include the area around LHN at 17th and Chew? When you say rugged, what do you mean.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,273 times
why you asking that? Allentown's a boring town. no crimes or anything bad happen here.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:51 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,102,448 times
So we have a post that says Allentown North of 17th is okay and another saying North of Cedar Crest Boulevard is okay.

Would anyone else want to weigh in on a demarcation street BETWEEN those 15 blocks, primarily North of Hamilton, or two blocks South?

(I love huge brick homes with back yards and garages, either in a row or twins.)

I left Allentown 40 years ago and often think about going back despite all the horror stories I hear. There is an appeal to an area in which you could buy 2 huge homes for what I would pay for a studio apartment.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:28 AM

12 posts, read 76,484 times
Kefir King, just food for thought- Allentown (Center City) is undergoing a redevelopment stage but it's going to take some time. They are knocking down some of 7 street ugly homes/ stores to build a brand new hockey ring. Also, there's many projects (building reno's to turn them in condos, farr lofts, nic zawarski townhouses) in downtown Allentown to attract a different crowd of residents. So maybe if you want to invest into a histortic home in Allentown a possibly wait a couple of more years (10-15) to see a return than great. But for now, most parts of Allentown is bad.. Center city, east side, 8th ward near the bus station is bad ( even though they have a demo project underway to clear that factory into lofts, near the wards ) . If you really want to come back to Allentown ... Try cedar crest (parkland school district) fish hatchery area ( they belong to Salisbury School district) Airport road is ok but a lite ify. I have hopes that Allentown will become a better place to live but we have to get agressive as s community and throw out the trash that makes the community terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley