Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:35 AM

124 posts, read 642,000 times

Advertisements

I was always curious what Jim Thorpe looked-like. Now I know...

Thanks, ScrantonWilkesBarre, for your FANTASTIC photo tour; a real delight and colorful too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 05:49 AM

372 posts, read 1,229,125 times
I grew up in the town "next door" and never did the tourist thing in JT until I was in college. It is a wonderful town to roam around for the day. There is a campground nearby and a great lake to swim as well (Mauch Chunk Lake). Split Rock Lodge, Big Boulder, Skirmish and Pocono Whitewater Adventures are right up north on Route 902 for more fun. One of my former teachers was the curator at the Harry Packer mansion too. Plus, you have to go into the jail and see the famous handprint of one of the Molly Maguires that's still on the cell wall - really!
If you get the opportunity and are in or near the Poconos, go there for the day - I think you'll enjoy it!

Old 05-16-2007, 06:44 AM

22 posts, read 90,037 times
Fantastic pix Paul!!! I ride through town all the time and forget to see it through "tourist eyes". I was hoping you would've showed how that little stream that runs through town goes right under the rowhomes. The tattoo shop has a glass floor so you can see the stream running below, good reason to stop and get a little ink.

I had lunch at JT's on Sunday and highly recommend the 24 oz steak for $12.95 (hey...I rode 15 miles on my bike, I was hungry!).

Love the commentary...."That's what I call a pothead" ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:53 AM

332 posts, read 1,626,191 times
Another great job.
How come my photos never look so good?
Glad you mentioned the old name of "Mauch Chunk" . . . all appropriate kudos to Jim Thorpe, but I think the old name was way cooler . . .

Old 05-16-2007, 09:33 AM

467 posts, read 1,489,693 times
Once again, thanks for the pictures...I spent many grand day trips at Jim
thorpe...Ate at JT"S and the steak is great. Loved the Asa Packer Museum.
we are taking some time this summer to go back to PA..Hope to get to JT
again...

Old 05-16-2007, 09:51 AM

41,976 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Great pix ... When I think of Jim Thorpe, I always think "tacky tourist trap" first, but now you've piqued my interest. Love the painted ladies.

Some of those hills ... oof! 27 years in Ohio has turned me into a flatlander, for sure.

I"ve always wanted to build one of those "potheads" for my back porch. I'm printing out your picture for my inspiration -- how much do I owe you? LOL

Old 05-16-2007, 10:04 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Great pix ... When I think of Jim Thorpe, I always think "tacky tourist trap" first, but now you've piqued my interest. Love the painted ladies.
Well, it is still a "tourist trap," as there isn't much in town to keep tourists satisfied and intrigued for more than just a day-trip. I experienced every nook and cranny in the western side of town in just a couple of hours. Throw in a lunch at JT's Steak & Ale House, dessert at Nana's Ice Cream Shoppe, a whitewater rafting trip down the Lehigh River, and a Fall foliage train excursion, and you have enough to keep you interested for perhaps TWO days at most.

Quote:
Some of those hills ... oof! 27 years in Ohio has turned me into a flatlander, for sure.
Some of these hills were "deceiving" as well, and you couldn't fully-appreciate their steepness from my photos. As I walked down the far end of aptly-named High Street, the pitch was so steep that the fronts of my legs were burning (I'm a physically-fit avid runner, may I add), and I had to put my arms out for a brief time to keep balance from tipping forward! I wouldn't want to drive down that in a snow storm!

Quote:
I"ve always wanted to build one of those "potheads" for my back porch. I'm printing out your picture for my inspiration -- how much do I owe you? LOL
All you owe me is some basic tourist advice for your former hometown of Cincinnati, as I'll be heading there July 12-16 to visit. I want to see the aquarium in Covington, KY and a Cincinnati Reds game, but are there any other sites in or near downtown that I should be sure to take in? You know my fondness for Victorian/historic architecture as well; any good leads on historic neighborhoods to see? I'll be staying with my best friend's boyfriend's family just north of town in the suburbs (I think the town is called Mason).

Old 05-17-2007, 07:13 AM

41,976 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
All you owe me is some basic tourist advice for your former hometown of Cincinnati.
Yer on. I could write a book, but I'll try to keep it brief. Stay tuned ...

Old 05-17-2007, 08:55 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,659,475 times
Wow, what a cool town! Thanks for sharing. Now if they only had houses that had 1/2 acres or more we'd put it on our list.

We want to rent a house ( we are thinking the Hideout in Lake Ariel ) for 3 months this winter as a preliminary check it out time in which to see if we can seriously consider buying a second house or not up there ( NEPA )

Old 05-17-2007, 01:16 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,952,470 times
Unusually dense urban fabric for a little PA hill town. I was always reminded of Europe when I visited there, except for the hillbillies, of which there are plenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley