Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 08:15 PM

297 posts, read 244,379 times

Advertisements

Something wrong with C-D search server?

Just did a search in Lexington forum on University and then on UKY.

For one year ago to date.

Zilch, not one hit.

Of course you have to take into account that most of the posts on this platform, usually re moving are like 10 years old. Says something about their moderation policies imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2022, 08:29 PM

5,954 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveareeno5 View Post
Something wrong with C-D search server?

Just did a search in Lexington forum on University and then on UKY.

For one year ago to date.

Zilch, not one hit.

Of course you have to take into account that most of the posts on this platform, usually re moving are like 10 years old. Says something about their moderation policies imo.
You might try searching for "UK".

Old 11-13-2022, 01:38 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
I am wondering if some posts were censored regarding Kentucky. The past week, a video went viral about a racist student going off on a tirade at the University of Kentucky. Her name is Sophia R. She was filmed assaulting a black female student verbally and physically. Court records showed she used the "N" word over 200 times. Hence, the video went viral and her name and story have been on the news all week on major outlets like CNN, MSN, local news channels, Facebook, Reddit, etc. I even saw a news agency in Pakistan report about it - the viral video went worldwide. So, maybe the server was configured to block this type of post regarding that incident since it's very vitriolic and offensive. The racist female was arrested and bailed out by her parents. She then withrew from the UK but was banned from ever returning to campus subsequently. Meanwhile, charges are in process and her employer fired her. She had been a senior and double major on the verge of graduating at age 22 but ruined it all with this incident.

I was not surprised by the racism. To be fair, I don't believe it's representative of the "entire state" or the "entire Deep South". But rather, more realistically, I see that there are clusters of white racism that can occur within the population even though Lexington is generally liberal compared to the northern part of the state's more rural regions. But even there she may be an outlier. I just know such racism can happen from time-to-time. I am Native American but lived in the south near FL, GA and AL in the panhandle for over 13 years. I got to know many white southerners. The south is much more progressive and inclusive in modern times (in my opinion). But such incidents of racism still happen occasionally. This one was horrifying to watch. To bad it lives on the internet forever even if she tries to be apologetic.

There are many blogs, news posts, and social media comments about it out there. One thing that hasn't been brought up is colorism and how women who look like her are often pursued by African American men. The situation is colorism - rejection of black women to be with white women. I saw that pattern a lot. Examples include Herschel Walker, RGIII, and Jameis Winston. Walker and RGIII impregnated blonde white women (or dyed blonde) from FSU. Jameis had sex with many white women while on campus (cleat chasers). It's a common pattern in collegiate social scenes - blonde white women put on a pedestal by dark black men who ignore women from their own ethnicity. But now that the incident with Sophia has come out, will it give such guys second thoughts about the colorism and fetish? It would be tragic if they still desired her even though her racism came out in such a vitriolic display. I have (sometimes) seen racist white women in the south - but usually it's more covert - locking the door at the sight of black me in broad daylight near Publix, etc. This episode by Sophia was very rough indeed - an exemplification of early 1900s eugenic racism captured on a viral video in 2022. The African American woman who was assaulted was clearly traumatized. I hope she is able to find happiness despite what happened last week.

I don't think the south should be isolated for such examples of racism though. When I was an undergraduate at a Catholic college in the midwest long ago, there were some racist white women on that campus - wealthy white students who had grown up in the white flight suburban areas of cities like Chicago, Detroit, etc. It's not just something that is exclusive to the south like KY.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:20 AM

would not surprise me if this platform censored it. But the site in general is lacking. It's hard to find recent posts about just about anything regarding moving. Most are like several years to over 10 years old. That is a product of censorship I think. People are wanting information about moving all the time, so why is it that you can't find recent posts about many cities on this topic. Who wants to rely on info from 10 years ago?

If you know of any other sites that cover UKY, please let me know. It's getting hard to find sites that are the product of user rather than someone trying to make a buck.

Old 11-18-2022, 04:49 AM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times
The search function isn't the best, but it works if you use the right words.

Old 11-18-2022, 04:51 AM

I spelled out spelled out 'University of Kentucky' and searched all posts and got 32 pages of results. Including the recent rant.

Old 11-24-2022, 08:15 PM

Default ok point taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I spelled out spelled out 'University of Kentucky' and searched all posts and got 32 pages of results. Including the recent rant.
I will try to duplicate. But seems that posts from students or those affiliated with the University who actually KNOW about the school would use UKY in their posts sometime. Maybe it's the bad search engine, I will try it.

Old 11-24-2022, 08:59 PM

5,954 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveareeno5 View Post
i will try to duplicate. But seems that posts from students or those affiliated with the university who actually know about the school would use uky in their posts sometime. maybe it's the bad search engine, i will try it.

Last edited by Chas863; 11-24-2022 at 09:10 PM..

Old 11-25-2022, 05:09 AM

72 posts, read 92,294 times
Start a new thread like this one. Spell the name out, ask the admin to put a sticky on it so it will stay on top. Does not sound too hard.,

Old 11-25-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveareeno5 View Post
I will try to duplicate. But seems that posts from students or those affiliated with the University who actually KNOW about the school would use UKY in their posts sometime. Maybe it's the bad search engine, I will try it.
Having grown up in the Louisville area and for the 40 years since, I've never heard it referred to as anything other than UK. Maybe UofK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area