Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 34,659 times

Advertisements

In a couple of months I will be attending UALR and living on the campus. I do know that the area around the campus isn't very good (sans the campus itself, which is fairly safe from what I've heard). However, I don't know anything regarding the levels of crime anywhere else in Little Rock, so what are the other high-crime areas in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 04:09 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,267,874 times
You can try this site for the various neighborhoods:

Little Rock Neighborhood Crime Maps, Crime Statistics and Real-Time Alerts

South of I-630 (anywhere in town) and east of downtown (anywhere) are the worst. "Crime" can mean anything from getting your garden hose stolen to the really bad stuff, though. I'm talking the bad stuff with the parameters I've given. Of course, common sense and a decent lifestyle goes a very long way (and is in very short supply sometimes).

I totally love Little Rock - I do. Born there, have spent a huge part of my adult life there. However, the crime is getting more serious, so please do pay attention as you settle in. A side rant would be that the city is short on police officers - badly short - and yet the mayor and city board have been too busy brainstorming with the county about what color to paint a bridge than addressing infrastructure problems. Crime is escalating everywhere, I know that - but the jails are full and the judicial system seems to operate under the "catch and release" agenda.

One thing to remember is Little Rock is not a late-night city. The later you are out, the more your chances go up for a bad encounter. Mama always said nothing good happens after midnight, and there's a certain amount of truth to that. There's a lot of truth to it if you wander off the beaten path.

You'll find that the places you want to be aren't in the areas I've mentioned anyway. You don't give your age, but I'm assuming what I'm assuming....and the trendier spots are way north of UALR.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 34,659 times
Thanks for the link. By looking at the map of the neighborhood that UALR is in, I can tell I'm going to have to watch my back if I ever decide to go out at night.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:57 PM
WLR

24 posts, read 87,091 times
Anything east of Bowman road is basically a war zone. 10 years ago 430 was the line. In more 10 years it will be anything east of Rahling.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:58 PM

WLR, I assume you mean east of Bowman and south of I-630? I'd hardly call Edgehill a war zone, LOL! Or Leawood or Foxcroft or the Heights or Pine Valley and that area.

Maryland, remember UALR has their own police force. Once you leave the campus you're on your own, though. Head north. Believe me, there is nothing for you in any other direction after dark. Not a thing your mama would approve of, anyway.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:16 PM
WLR

24 posts, read 87,091 times
I guess you don't read forbidden hillcrest...

And no, I do actually mean east of 430 without regard to 630. Only people who live on that side peddle the distinction of north and south 630. South 630 is obviously worse but both are bad.

There are now bad areas of WLR around Shackleford. Thats why I say east of Bowman with it soon to be Rahling. The Terry Elem school zone has been unlivable and unattendable for some time.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:09 PM

I do read FH. And I like it. But I would hardly warn someone against Cheers in the Heights or Loca Luna (or whatever is there now) because of FH.

It can't be said enough. Tens of thousands of people travel, work, and live in Little Rock daily with absolutely no fear and they manage to survive. Keep your head. It is not that hard to determine where you don't need to be.

The area around Terry has been a pit for 25 years. Nothing has changed.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:39 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,379,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandguy View Post
Thanks for the link. By looking at the map of the neighborhood that UALR is in, I can tell I'm going to have to watch my back if I ever decide to go out at night.
Develop friends and go as a group!

Old 06-02-2013, 06:44 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,379,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLR View Post
I guess you don't read forbidden hillcrest...

And no, I do actually mean east of 430 without regard to 630. Only people who live on that side peddle the distinction of north and south 630. South 630 is obviously worse but both are bad.

There are now bad areas of WLR around Shackleford. Thats why I say east of Bowman with it soon to be Rahling. The Terry Elem school zone has been unlivable and unattendable for some time.
Terry? Interesting - my daughter has lived within a block of Terry Elem for over 10 years, loves it, and has had no problems.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:50 PM

369 posts, read 1,302,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Terry? Interesting - my daughter has lived within a block of Terry Elem for over 10 years, loves it, and has had no problems.
Nothing is wrong with WLR near Terry Elementary. It's kinda congested in that area, but it's a nice and safe part of town. I seriously think that poster is confusing Terry with Mcdermott Elementary on Reservoir Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area