Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 04:36 AM

28 posts, read 31,311 times

Advertisements

I'm reviewing info sent by headhunter. What kind of rural place is this? Is it redneck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 08:42 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,264,557 times
It's very rural, predominantly African American. Phillips County is one of the poorest in the state. I lived there back in the '90's. Wasn't a whole lot to do.

Home - The Helena Arkansas Daily World - Helena, AR - Helena, AR

Old 10-31-2016, 04:02 AM

28 posts, read 31,311 times
sounds like no good option - live in Memphis? maybe downtown? Memphis is also dangerous?

Old 10-31-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xia Chen View Post
sounds like no good option - live in Memphis? maybe downtown? Memphis is also dangerous?
Finding housing in Helena is difficult, however, Memphis is an hour away and if the bridge over the Mississippi River is out, you're stuck. I think it would be a good idea to look for housing locally and save Memphis for the weekend.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:27 PM

340 posts, read 517,560 times
Visit Helena before you accept a job there.

Or look up the crime statistics here on city data.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:48 PM

19 posts, read 27,665 times
As PhotoBuff has pointed out, living in Memphis is not a realistic option. You would be more than an hour away from the Mississippi suburbs. You would probably grow to hate traveling HWY 61 on a daily basis. The only other option would be Clarksdale MS. Having only spent a little time in Clarksdale, I suspect that it is similar to Helena in many respects - just larger. Both cities do have a deep and historic culture. Those two cities are pretty much the "heart" of the Delta and Blues Country. With that said, they are probably not at the top of many "best of" or "desirable" city lists. If you have never visited the Mississippi Delta area, a visit to the area is an absolute must before relocation. As PhotoBuff states, the poverty in the area can be shocking to those who have not lived in the region. You need to visit and see for yourself if you are serious about the job. You will know pretty quick if the area is for you or not.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:48 PM

I agree with knponder. If you are going to work down in the Delta as an outsider, it's because it's a calling that your heart deeply responds to. If you go there as a twenty something, you are giving up some years where most young professionals are finding a spouse and settling into their profession and building a life. You probably won't find that in Helena but you will find people who need you.

It will change your life forever, mostly in a good way.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:50 PM

133 posts, read 487,094 times
I sure hope this person did NOT take a job in Helena. I lived there for 6 months and it was one of the worst places I've ever been. I left as soon as possible. It's a real sh** hole; high crime rate, NOTHING to do there, NOTHING there at all = NOTHING.

I lived in a spot where the rental unit was supposedly that management's "best property" and supposedly a safe area. Gunshots out in the back yard several times over the summer, and even on Christmas Eve night.

This place is the unwashed, unwaxed, nasty armpit of the state. Redneck, ignorant, ghetto, trashy and most of them proud of it. Low quality, low standards, low everything. OMG. Those people have no pride, no self respect at all, content to live like trash.

Do NOT ever go there even to visit, it's not worth it.

and DECENT housing is very difficult to find. There are many, many burned out houses all over town and they are left that way. Owners dont even bother to clean them up or repair. To find decent housing in a safe area is a huge challenge. It's such a small area, there's no website to search, there's nothing on the internet. I was told the only way to find houses to rent is to drive around and look for signs. Sure, if you've got time and gas to waste driving all over the county. You might find some flyers up on boards at grocery stores, but you've got to hit that just right as well. Or if you know somebody who happens to know someone, who might have heard of a house available.

Why in the H would anyone EVER CHOOSE to go to Helena/West Helena is beyond me. I got pushed into it and was the worst mistake of my life.

Last edited by Scarlett O'Hara; 01-19-2017 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: adding info

Old 02-01-2017, 08:55 PM

369 posts, read 1,303,942 times
You don't want to live in the Delta, especially if you are not from there. The only decent place in the Delta is Jonesboro, and there is a reason that Jonesboro is called "the oasis of the Delta". If you are middle age with adult children, then Helena would be a place to live to help all of the poverty-strickened people, but you would be giving up a lot to be in your 20s and 30s and move to a place like Helena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area