Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 03:42 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yea sorry, i been to both have great hikes and scenery.

Not sure why they chose the "trailer" look theme, but it does look like one and inside is cramp. Guess i just dont like small quarters.

The only thing the town got is it art scene and it wasnt thriving till big broadway shows started to come to town. The million dollar project they did to Robertson was added more rooms, ramps, and extend the hotel to it. So ill bite my words, if its growing then good. But growing up in LR it wasnt really an "Art" town. 80s-90s. Even today it still doesnt have a tech scene that could make it grow even bigger and better, more clean manufactures that doesnt involve chicken.

The skyline is a joke, not really comparing it to big towns like i posted, but really it is a joke for its size.
I live in Lexington, KY, but have strong Arkansas roots. Lexington is considerably larger than Little Rock, but its skyline cannot compare. Little Rock looks and feels like a city.

Lexington sometimes hits the mark and like LR, is improving - but could do much better for its size, though it has a gorgeous setting and a rich history.

LR punches well above its weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 06:45 AM

83 posts, read 174,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I live in Lexington, KY, but have strong Arkansas roots. Lexington is considerably larger than Little Rock, but its skyline cannot compare. Little Rock looks and feels like a city.

Lexington sometimes hits the mark and like LR, is improving - but could do much better for its size, though it has a gorgeous setting and a rich history.

LR punches well above its weight.
Please explain how you've arrived at the conclusion that Lexington is "considerably larger" when in fact it is smaller. Lexington consolidated with its county to form one government totaling 325,000 people. If Pulaski County did that, it's 400,000. Lexington's metro population is right at 500,000, whereas Little Rock's is over 725,000...almost fifty percent larger. Little Rock "looks and feels more like a city" simply from the fact that it's that much larger.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yea sorry, i been to both have great hikes and scenery.
The skyline is a joke, not really comparing it to big towns like i posted, but really it is a joke for its size.
If you did your research, you would find just the opposite, that Little Rock's skyline is in fact very impressive for its size...just read even this thread, where its acknowledged that it's more impressive than Memphis.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:06 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
That Little Rock even has a skyline is impressive.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:11 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335i View Post
Please explain how you've arrived at the conclusion that Lexington is "considerably larger" when in fact it is smaller. Lexington consolidated with its county to form one government totaling 325,000 people. If Pulaski County did that, it's 400,000. Lexington's metro population is right at 500,000, whereas Little Rock's is over 725,000...almost fifty percent larger. Little Rock "looks and feels more like a city" simply from the fact that it's that much larger.
But Pulaski County "didn't do that", did they? The 2016 population of LR itself, not the "greater metro area", was under 200,000. LR is where that controversial skyline is located, not in any of the outlying communities.

I just checked Wikipedia, since that appears to be where you found that 700,000+ stat. Their definition of the "Greater Metro Area" includes Conway, about 35 miles to the northwest, Hot Springs Village, which over 75 miles away, Vilonia, which is about ten or fifteen miles east of Conway, Benton, Bryant, Cabot, Maumelle, England, Perryville, Cabot, and other questionable locations.

In short, it includes the bulk of central Arkansas, with a good measure of the east, north, and west tossed in.

I doubt if the residents of these places consider themselves citizens of Little Rock. My Conway grandparents, Benton aunt and uncle, and Vilonia cousins certainly never have or did.

But if you want to use this for a comparison, I'd suggest that in the interests of fairness, Greater Lexington should also include Midway, Versailles, Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Danville, Harrodsburg, Nicholasville, Wilmore, Richmond, Berea, Winchester, and Paris. Maybe even Cynthiana, Mt. Sterling, Lancaster, and Carlisle, since people from all these towns work and shop in Lexington and come to Lexington for medical services, sporting events, and entertainment.

Though once again, no one living in those towns considers themself a Lexingtonian.

Not sure I understand your defensiveness, since I was praising LR, not comparing it negatively to Lexington at all. Both cities are great and I have strong attachments to both. Little Rock's skyline is far more dramatic than is Lexington's. That's particularly praiseworthy given the smaller population.

Pax.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 02-13-2018 at 09:36 AM..

Old 02-13-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
But Pulaski County "didn't do that", did they? The 2016 population of LR itself, not the "greater metro area", was under 200,000. LR is where that controversial skyline is located, not in any of the outlying communities.

I just checked Wikipedia, since that appears to be where you found that 700,000+ stat. Their definition of the "Greater Metro Area" includes Conway, about 35 miles to the northwest, Hot Springs Village, which over 75 miles away, Vilonia, which is about ten or fifteen miles east of Conway, Benton, Bryant, Cabot, Maumelle, England, Perryville, Cabot, and other questionable locations.

In short, it includes the bulk of central Arkansas, with a good measure of the east, north, and west tossed in.

I doubt if the residents of these places consider themselves citizens of Little Rock. My Conway grandparents, Benton aunt and uncle, and Vilonia cousins certainly never have or did.

But if you want to use this for a comparison, I'd suggest that in the interests of fairness, Greater Lexington should also include Midway, Versailles, Frankfort, Lawrenceburg, Danville, Harrodsburg, Nicholasville, Wilmore, Richmond, Berea, Winchester, and Paris. Maybe even Cynthiana, Mt. Sterling, Lancaster, and Carlisle, since people from all these towns work and shop in Lexington and come to Lexington for medical services, sporting events, and entertainment.

Though once again, no one living in those towns considers themself a Lexingtonian.

Not sure I understand your defensiveness, since I was praising LR, not comparing it negatively to Lexington at all. Both cities are great and I have strong attachments to both. Little Rock's skyline is far more dramatic than is Lexington's. That's particularly praiseworthy given the smaller population.

Pax.
I didn't make up this statistic, the numbers, or the methodology! I'm simply quoting the government standard Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), which is readily available for every metro. This is the "standard" data when defining the size of a metro area, and there is a specific methodology the government uses to determine its size. Little Rock's is ±725,000, and Lexington is 505,000. You wondered out loud why Lexington didn't feel as big. I'm simply pointing out because it isn't as big. The whole metro feeds the center.

p.s. If you're quoting Lexington proper's "population" you have to acknowledge that it's really the county population. Apples-to-apples, any city could technically merge with its county. I know Nashville and Louisville both did as well. It doesn't fundamentally "change" the population or the city, it just moves the boundary to a different location.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:36 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
MSA aside, Little Rock's real world feel is closer to 500k than 700k. That higher number includes some far away places.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:04 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,817 times
Quote:
If you did your research, you would find just the opposite, that Little Rock's skyline is in fact very impressive for its size...just read even this thread, where its acknowledged that it's more impressive than Memphis.
My research is 38 years of living their. Dont need no wiki to tell me about my home state. I been every where in it.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
MSA aside, Little Rock's real world feel is closer to 500k than 700k. That higher number includes some far away places.
Every MSA includes "far away places." That's literally what it is, the "regional" population that migrates into and out of a core city. It's based on set criteria, the same criteria that every MSA uses. It is not a subjective number.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:43 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,817 times
Quote:
I didn't make up this statistic, the numbers, or the methodology! I'm simply quoting the government standard Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), which is readily available for every metro. This is the "standard" data when defining the size of a metro area, and there is a specific methodology the government uses to determine its size. Little Rock's is ±725,000, and Lexington is 505,000. You wondered out loud why Lexington didn't feel as big. I'm simply pointing out because it isn't as big. The whole metro feeds the center.

p.s. If you're quoting Lexington proper's "population" you have to acknowledge that it's really the county population. Apples-to-apples, any city could technically merge with its county. I know Nashville and Louisville both did as well. It doesn't fundamentally "change" the population or the city, it just moves the boundary to a different location.
Like Benton/Bryant. even tho they are 2 differ city's, they are combine in most things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area