Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 08:33 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times

Advertisements

What is the local opinion of UALR? I grew up in SE Texas near Louisiana, so I am familiar with UALR (UALR played the local universities in basketball), but I know little more than that.

I am looking at a distance graduate program at UALR. I am considering the UALR distance program because it is inexpensive. And I am paying out of pocket. My last job would have reimbursed graduate tuition for any university that I was accepted to, but they fired everybody so I am just lucky to be employed now. Anyway, I don't need this degree to advance my career. It is more so because I am one of those people that just likes learning stuff. Also a masters would qualify me to teach at a college. So this also 'ticks a box' for me if you want to look at it that way. But I want the degree to be from a university with a decent reputation.

Point of reference - I have 2 degrees from lesser known state schools in Tx. Both universities were in bad neighborhoods. Both were considered commuter schools of last resort at the time I went. But both have good regional reputations. Actually they have strong regional reputations. I don't exactly trust the US News rankings, but it appears UALR would be ranked similarly to one of the schools I went to. And that is exactly what I am looking for.

So basically I just want to find out what the locals think of UALR. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 02:02 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,903,825 times
I'll not go into details but our grand daughter had attended a private/church college with a great reputation but things didn't work out as the college implied and she was loosing her scholarship. She attended UALR for a summer course to help her grades and fell in love with the school and staff. She finally bailed at the end of her junior year and started attending UALR full time and again, found everything as she has experienced during the summer course. When she graduated she immediately was recruited for a high $$ job and was accepted. Long answer to a short question, but from her experience I would highly recommend the school. Oh, and I have a "senior" friend who has taken a course there and had the same experience as grand daughter did.

I do have one beef though. They are talking about starting a football team which, I'm afraid, will end up with the "tail wagging the dog". The school, in my opinion, has been known for it's academic quality and availability to everyone, so why mess it up? They do have a facility maintenance problem which does not impact the academics, but why not use those millions that football will cost on bringing the facility up to first class?

I hope you can dig an answer out of all that gibberish

Old 02-16-2018, 03:13 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
One of the best schools and teaching hospital in the state and nation. You will enjoy it, and long as they keep their rates steady and not be to greedy, they are the place for every body without having to be in a certain class.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:05 PM

83 posts, read 174,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
One of the best schools and teaching hospital in the state and nation. You will enjoy it, and long as they keep their rates steady and not be to greedy, they are the place for every body without having to be in a certain class.
Just a point of clarification...UALR does not run the "teaching hospital"...that is technically UAMS, a separate UA entity.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:13 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335i View Post
Just a point of clarification...UALR does not run the "teaching hospital"...that is technically UAMS, a separate UA entity.
I assume they are under the same umbrella?

Old 02-16-2018, 08:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
Thanks everyone. After looking at the website I noticed that the university was fairly comprehensive and even has a law school. Furthermore, the tuition was a set rate, and it was even cheaper than in-state tuition for all the Texas schools that I was considering. I thought this could not be real. So I had to ask the locals to make sure this really is as good as it seems. I am kind of anxious now and hope I get accepted. I have been to that part of the state before, but it has been a little over a decade since.

I didn't know they were considering football. That could be good or bad. I agree I hope they have their priorities straight before they pull the trigger.

Anyway, thanks again.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:09 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,903,825 times
Quote:

Nope, no way.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:21 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,001 times
I remember using the library there as a high school student. Very nice campus and I think it always had a good reputation.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:07 PM

536 posts, read 822,571 times
I think US News & World Report rates UALR as a "national university." The only one in Arkansas besides Fayetteville.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:56 AM

83 posts, read 174,661 times
Quote:
Well, no more than UA Monticello runs the teaching hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area