Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 08:26 PM

69 posts, read 95,384 times

Advertisements

I know Amazon's announcement of a 2nd HQ search is a few months old now, but can we revisit Little Rock's "campaign". Maybe this has already been addressed, but I can't get over how dumb this strategy seems to me. I've lived in Little Rock about half my life so I have at least some connection to it. The "it's not you, it's us" idea just doesn't feel clear and seems to say we are happy with the city the way it is. I think Little Rock is improving but this campaign just felt insecure and sort of pathetic. We were never in the running for this so what's the point in reminding the outsiders that may have read this. This kitschy attempt at humor fell flat in my opinion. It's obviously just to grab attention but I feel like this makes the city appear behind. This whole thing reminds me of Fed Ex which was a company we actually could have landed and let slip away.

Here's the "break up" letter the city wrote.

Quote:
We know, we know, when you originally sent out your offer for cities to send in proposals for your future HQ2, we were all over it.

After all, you’re Amazon. You’re smart, sexy, and frankly, incredibly rich. And thanks to our booming business environment, tech-savvy workforce, diverse, creative culture and flourishing downtown, there are a lot of reasons why we’d be great together.

But when we started really thinking about what our future would look like, we realized it would probably never work out between us.

You want 50,000 employees for your new campus. We have a sizable, resourceful workforce, but if we were to concentrate them here, it would be a bummer. Our lack of traffic and ease of getting around would be totally wrecked, and we can’t sacrifice that for you.

You want on-site mass transit at HQ2. Here, there are many transit options that fit our city perfectly, and thanks to our compact urban footprint, many of our residents can easily get to the office on foot, on a bike or just by a quick drive. It would be cool if we could offer that, but we simply can’t do that just to make you happy.

Amazon, you’ve got so much going for you, and you’ll find what you’re looking for. But it’s just not us.

We’re happy knowing that many great companies find our natural good looks, coupled with our brains for business, irresistible.

If another expansion opportunity comes up and you’re ready to join the visionaries, dreamers, romantics and the idealists who know that bigger isn’t always better, give us a call. We would love to find a way to make “us” work out.

We wish you all the success in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 08:48 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Well, that's just weird.

Tech savvy? Sort of...ish?
Walking and biking to work? Maybe for a few, but it's not the Little Rock I know.
It'd be nice if a company like Amazon could think outside the box for a 2nd location, but I highly doubt they will.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:58 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,904,103 times
Westfork, you gotta keep in mind who wrote, or was responsible for the writing of that . But there is an election coming up so maybe things will change. I'll not belabor the point, but I sure hope so.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:32 PM

83 posts, read 174,661 times
Most people thought it was a brilliant move, me included...what a way to take advantage of Amazon to promote our city, which was never in the running in the first place!

Old 04-21-2018, 02:58 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,918 times
I think it was hilarious. Way to go Little Rock

Old 04-21-2018, 03:43 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
It was a smart PR move to parasitically feed off of the Amazon HQ2 hubbub.

Little Rock absolutely knew they would NEVER get the Amazon HQ2 or any other large business relocation. It's just too small. However, they could use all the attention to tout their city to smaller businesses who also wanted a similar environment.

Just reading the break up letter, I now know that Little Rock's city center is very walkable and has some kind of transit, but overall the city has an unclogged mobility system.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:04 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Glad they did it, but not glad. Arkansas LR area needs tech jobs. No reason why only NWA gets all the attention. Honestly ,if it wasnt for walmart, NWA be just another ozark town with a college. State really needs more tech business to bring in more students and other jobs that comes with it. Didnt we have Dell/HP come to town and build a great nice call center only to go belly up after the tax breaks went away. But they did want 500 people that we simply couldnt provide the talent.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:27 PM

69 posts, read 95,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Glad they did it, but not glad. Arkansas LR area needs tech jobs. No reason why only NWA gets all the attention. Honestly ,if it wasnt for walmart, NWA be just another ozark town with a college. State really needs more tech business to bring in more students and other jobs that comes with it. Didnt we have Dell/HP come to town and build a great nice call center only to go belly up after the tax breaks went away. But they did want 500 people that we simply couldnt provide the talent.
Maybe it gets attention because JB Hunt and Tyson are there also? Walmart isn't the only show in town. Those 2 companies are also huge players in their respective industries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
View detailed profiles of: