Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 04:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Dude! You're in for a huge culture shock.
Not as much as you might think. Unless you are very familiar with AR and I doubt you are, you really can't judge based on rumors. There are a lot of people living here from all over the world. Of course I am referring to NWA. My entire family or almost all of us were born and raised in the L.A. area, some of us lived in the bay area and don't find people much different here than in Ca except people here are friendlier. We also have good medical facilities, great arts, most of the outstanding chain dining like Ruth Chris, etc and good entertainment. We love the idea you can be in the quiet of the woods and still be only 15 minutes from the urban regions. What we don't have is rush hour traffic for 12 hours a day. The positive we do miss: Trader Joe's and pro sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromcalifornia View Post
My family and I are relocating from California to the Little Rock/Conway area. We have family there and have visited the area once before. Besides what our family already has in mind, what are some of the things we have to visit/see in order to really get the feel of Arkansas? I been told I have to attend at least 1 Razorback football game.
You have family in Conway area which is great, but if they know anything about the area and they certainly should, they would be able to fill you in about Pine Bluff. I think everyone in Ar is familiar with the city that was, at one time a very nice, little small town.
It is interesting you are going to just pick up and move with no mention of employment: what are you thinking about when it comes to work? It seems a bit risky to just pick up and move 1/2 way or more across the country without jobs. As for attending a Razorback game. Well they are usually pretty well sold out to the students and people who have season tickets, but there are always a few tickets available. As much as we are avid sports fans, I do not think I would put attending a game near the top of my bucket list. Going to a game certainly isn't going to give you an idea of what AR is all about. It is just like attending any major college game. I believe you are planning on moving this summer, of course the football season will not even be underway by then.

Good luck relocating if you ever really do.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:18 PM

13 posts, read 24,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Please don't bring the ridiculous taxes, high cost of living and government mandates with you. Thanks.
Those are some of the reasons why we are leaving.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:31 AM

506 posts, read 651,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Dude! You're in for a huge culture shock.

Isn't a culture shock the truth ! Ask a realtor about the Sleepy Valley area of Hot Springs and do not buy anything near there! Meth, theft and police patrol , thank goodness, are heavy in Sleepy Valley. Last week, a man who robbed three banks was apprehended at a Sonic by Federal Marshalls. He served a lot of time in prison but now he's back in jail.
I have read about the bath houses and a man who partook of one was embarrassed to death and wishes he had never done it. When I lived near Hot Springs only one bath house was open for baths. But they're sort of fun to walk through.
We visited Petit Jean Park once and found it pretty but very boring. And hot. I did enjoy the things at the gift shop.
Digging for crystals at Coleman's Crystal Mine outside Hot Springs is a fun way to spend a few hours but not in the summer months! Wait until fall or winter. It's also hard work so I hope you're in good shape. If you do go there stop at The Shack in Jessieville. It is enormously popular and has great fried food and fantastic soft serve ice cream cones. They actually have chocolate that was amazing when we lived near Jessieville. Very slow service, though. I really miss that food. It's so popular they've remodeled it. This is unusual for the Hot Springs area.
I am now in Texas and, looking back, I didn't find the people in Hot Springs to be all that friendly or nice. Of course, some are but in Texas the "bag boys" don't smart off to you or they get fired. And don't walk downtown after dark. At Christmas time I found that certain types of people became quite aggressive wanting to talk to you . I found people stopping me on the street downtown asking for money for their relative's Christmas gifts. I was told by a lady at the fantastic pizza buffet downtown called, " CICI'S " to "please go home. " Why? Because they got my order wrong and had to redo it. I actually felt sorry for her, though, since it was over 100 degrees in that kitchen. I miss Cici's anyway. Always packed, amazing rolls , various types of pizza at an arm's reach.
Message me if you want more information. I did love Hot Springs and would move back today if I could; but I can't.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
Isn't a culture shock the truth ! Ask a realtor about the Sleepy Valley area of Hot Springs and do not buy anything near there! Meth, theft and police patrol , thank goodness, are heavy in Sleepy Valley. Last week, a man who robbed three banks was apprehended at a Sonic by Federal Marshalls. He served a lot of time in prison but now he's back in jail.
I have read about the bath houses and a man who partook of one was embarrassed to death and wishes he had never done it. When I lived near Hot Springs only one bath house was open for baths. But they're sort of fun to walk through.
We visited Petit Jean Park once and found it pretty but very boring. And hot. I did enjoy the things at the gift shop.
Digging for crystals at Coleman's Crystal Mine outside Hot Springs is a fun way to spend a few hours but not in the summer months! Wait until fall or winter. It's also hard work so I hope you're in good shape. If you do go there stop at The Shack in Jessieville. It is enormously popular and has great fried food and fantastic soft serve ice cream cones. They actually have chocolate that was amazing when we lived near Jessieville. Very slow service, though. I really miss that food. It's so popular they've remodeled it. This is unusual for the Hot Springs area.
I am now in Texas and, looking back, I didn't find the people in Hot Springs to be all that friendly or nice. Of course, some are but in Texas the "bag boys" don't smart off to you or they get fired. And don't walk downtown after dark. At Christmas time I found that certain types of people became quite aggressive wanting to talk to you . I found people stopping me on the street downtown asking for money for their relative's Christmas gifts. I was told by a lady at the fantastic pizza buffet downtown called, " CICI'S " to "please go home. " Why? Because they got my order wrong and had to redo it. I actually felt sorry for her, though, since it was over 100 degrees in that kitchen. I miss Cici's anyway. Always packed, amazing rolls , various types of pizza at an arm's reach.
Message me if you want more information. I did love Hot Springs and would move back today if I could; but I can't.
it is very hard to read a comment when there are no paragraphs, so I am not sure what you are really saying about AR. If I understand you correctly you are basing your opinion pretty much on Hot Springs, which is only one small part of AR.

I can assure you NWA is very friendly: a lot more so than Texas and not nearly as hot. There are plenty of things to do. The only major difference between NWA anyway and Dallas, LA or the DC area is lack of as much traffic, COL, and yes, the Bible influence to some degree. We learned very early on, when someone asks about attending their church all you have to say, is we have our own church family or simply we are not church people. Most will appreciate your views. Of course Texas is as bad when it comes to religion.

I am amazed anyone would miss CiCis, but they have them everywhere so am sure you could find one in Texas and for the panhandlers and meth problems, these are also nationwide, not just in one region of the country.

Sightseeing you have done: the diamond mines or crystal mines are not meant to entertain for hours and as for Petit Jean Park, of course it is boring, it is meant to be a place to relax and unwind.

You can think what you want, but for us AR is a diamond in the rough.

Now, if your comments were made tongue in cheek, forgive me.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:29 AM

I can assure you NWA is very friendly: a lot more so than Texas and not nearly as hot. There are plenty of things to do. The only major difference between NWA anyway and Dallas, LA or the DC area is lack of as much traffic, COL, and yes, the Bible influence to some degree. We learned very early on, when someone asks about attending their church all you have to say, is we have our own church family or simply we are not church people. Most will appreciate your views. Of course Texas is as bad when it comes to religion.

*I prefer the climate in NWA ; central AR is too hot as is Texas. I've never lived in Eureka Springs so I can't speak for the friendliness there but moving to Texas in 1972 I do know how friendly and nice they are here. We lived in Hot Springs Village for nine years and in my opinion the people in Texas are definitely friendlier and MUCH nicer than those in Hot Springs. We moved back here eight years ago and I noticed very quickly how sweet the people are in Texas. And yes; they are church oriented here.*

I am amazed anyone would miss CiCis, but they have them everywhere so am sure you could find one in Texas and for the panhandlers and meth problems, these are also nationwide, not just in one region of the country.

* I did love CiCi's but, then, I don't mind so-called junk food. I would not travel to other parts of Texas to find one, however. My best friend visited us when we lived-in AR and she was so crazy over CiCi's that when she got home to NJ she searched for one but no luck.
I realize meth is nationwide but the Youtube.com videos don't show people in Maine or Massachusetts or North Dakota without many teeth singing, "Meth Lab Mama" type songs regarding those states. Arkansas actually has a reputation for people not having teeth. The first day of school with my grandson had two kids with silver fillings covering their teeth. In other words, when the poor things spoke or smiled you'd only see silver. I've never seen that before or afterwards.*

Sightseeing you have done: the diamond mines or crystal mines are not meant to entertain for hours and as for Petit Jean Park, of course it is boring, it is meant to be a place to relax and unwind.

*I believe you're mistaken about digging for crystals not being considered entertainment. In fact, a tv show featured a young couple digging in Arkansas and she found a diamond appraised in the six figures. My stepson dug up crystals over a foot high and seven inches in diameter. If that isn't fun I don't know what is. They were very excited. But very dehydrated.*

* I stated I miss it and would move back so no argument there.*

Now, if your comments were made tongue in cheek, forgive me.[/quote]

Old 05-23-2018, 10:55 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:

*I prefer the climate in NWA ; central AR is too hot as is Texas. I've never lived in Eureka Springs so I can't speak for the friendliness there but moving to Texas in 1972 I do know how friendly and nice they are here. We lived in Hot Springs Village for nine years and in my opinion the people in Texas are definitely friendlier and MUCH nicer than those in Hot Springs. We moved back here eight years ago and I noticed very quickly how sweet the people are in Texas. And yes; they are church oriented here.*

* I did love CiCi's but, then, I don't mind so-called junk food. I would not travel to other parts of Texas to find one, however. My best friend visited us when we lived-in AR and she was so crazy over CiCi's that when she got home to NJ she searched for one but no luck.
I realize meth is nationwide but the Youtube.com videos don't show people in Maine or Massachusetts or North Dakota without many teeth singing, "Meth Lab Mama" type songs regarding those states. Arkansas actually has a reputation for people not having teeth. The first day of school with my grandson had two kids with silver fillings covering their teeth. In other words, when the poor things spoke or smiled you'd only see silver. I've never seen that before or afterwards.*

*I believe you're mistaken about digging for crystals not being considered entertainment. In fact, a tv show featured a young couple digging in Arkansas and she found a diamond appraised in the six figures. My stepson dug up crystals over a foot high and seven inches in diameter. If that isn't fun I don't know what is. They were very excited. But very dehydrated.*

* I stated I miss it and would move back so no argument there.*

Now, if your comments were made tongue in cheek, forgive me.
[/quote]

You are entitled to your opinion and to share it. The only thing I would bring up is that when children have silver fillings covering their teeth, it may not be due to meth. There are dentists who will treat low-income children extra diligently, giving them filling after filling after filling, even though it's unnecessary. The dentist says it is necessary, and the government is paying the bills. And this is not exclusively in Arkansas.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:17 AM

Arkansans Sure Do Love Their Chewin’ Tobaccy
While the hillbilly stereotype Arkansan is always pictured with a corncob pipe stuck in his mouth, in reality, it’s more likely to be a plug of chewing tobacco. Arkansas has one of the nation’s highest rates of smokeless tobacco use, and was singled out in a recent CDC report as a state whose cigarette smokers are most likely to double-dip. Hint to the uninitiated: When visiting Arkansas for the first time, always be absolutely sure that dark brown liquid in the coke bottle’s actually soda.

I'd still move back if I could. And let me beat you to it: they also chew tobacco in other states. lol

Old 05-23-2018, 11:24 AM

Arkansas Pictures

I like this Arkansas photo site!

Old 05-24-2018, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Arkansans Sure Do Love Their Chewin’ Tobaccy
While the hillbilly stereotype Arkansan is always pictured with a corncob pipe stuck in his mouth, in reality, it’s more likely to be a plug of chewing tobacco. Arkansas has one of the nation’s highest rates of smokeless tobacco use, and was singled out in a recent CDC report as a state whose cigarette smokers are most likely to double-dip. Hint to the uninitiated: When visiting Arkansas for the first time, always be absolutely sure that dark brown liquid in the coke bottle’s actually soda.

I'd still move back if I could. And let me beat you to it: they also chew tobacco in other states. lol
gee I really need to pay more attention: I haven't seen many chewing tobacco here. I think what you seem to forget is there are areas of AR, like every other state that are very rural. I do not think the OP is considering moving to one of those regions. If I am not mistaken, from what you are saying, you have not even lived in the area for years and certainly not the more metro areas. The beauty of Ar, as I have often said is: you can live in a metro area and still only be 15 minutes from a rural community or visa versa. It is the best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area