Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 11:09 PM

20 posts, read 23,313 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

In the near future, the wife and I plan to retire to Arkansas. We've called the Shreveport (La.) area home for decades. One hears about Summers in beautiful Heber Springs being hectic, owing to the heavy influx of tourists from Memphis, Little Rock, et al. Is the Summer season too hectic as to be a deal-breaker? Heber Springs purportedly has a fairly high crime rate (!). Is it due to the heavy Summer traffic? Is Heber Springs a good place for a retired couple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 10:41 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,352,889 times
My in-laws retired from Little Rock to Heber for access to the lake, lived there for 20 years, never heard them complain of crime. In all my visits, all I ever saw was a sleepy little town....but like all small towns, employment opportunities are few, paving the way for retirees as younger folks move out to find employment.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-05-2018, 02:49 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,649,286 times
I don't know much about Heber Springs to answer, but I can say that I've never heard anything about bad crime there. I knew of an older couple who were moving back there for their retirement.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:48 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,399,233 times
I have not actually lived in Heber, but I have spent numerous weekends there in the past year and a half. I have not heard of any crime issues, nor have the people that I know there. Yes, the summer is a busy time because of the lake. but, we have done all the weekend things you do in Heber and other than an hour wait for brunch @ the eden isle resort on mother’s day, I can’t think of any issues with too many tourists. (We have had lunch and dinner there a few times and it is good). They have a new baptist hospital there and we used the er one weekend and it was great. I will add that winters are drastically different, as far as weekenders go. A lot of the weekenders own homes and condos, much like hot springs, so they aren’t trouble makers. They just want to relax and enjoy the weekend. They are also good for the economy. I was talking to the attendant at one of the marina’s gas dock a few weeks ago. He said he had 4 customers on Friday and nonstop customers on Saturday. But we pulled in and bought gas and left, no problem.

Now, this is personal opinion, I like hot springs much better. Just about every option you would need to be full time or weekender. Plus, the health care options are great. I will say that both areas have beautiful scenery, but the small town atmosphere at Heber is really nice. One more thing, I have met a number of weekenders and they are all Arkansas residents. (Mostly central Arkansas). But there are a lot of Tennessee tags in town on the weekends.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:09 PM

20 posts, read 23,313 times
Howdy,

Thanks to everyone for the informed replies. BTW, Hot Springs also remains a candidate as a retirement destination. I've never been to beautiful Heber Springs, but there seems to be something special about Greer's Ferry lake and the Little Red river. Affordable housing also appeals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area