Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 10:24 PM

25 posts, read 24,007 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband has to relocate to Little Rock for work for USPS. We will only be residing in the city temporarily... and I want to be comfortable without being price-gouged.

I currently pay 700 in Baton Rouge, so if I can pay less, that'd be awesome. But I want an area that is safe, clean, and near a freeway.

Neighborhood suggestions? Areas to avoid? I saw rent as low as $470.00 on apartments.com off Mabelvale and was sorta suspicious. I saw some places for 525-650 and am amazed ! Can anyone tell me why its so cheap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 12:08 PM

140 posts, read 256,016 times
I've seen that it helps if people define what "safe" means, because different people have different definitions/perspectives on what that means to them, so...what defines "safe" to you? (This may help people provide you with more accurate suggestions/recommendations.)

Old 12-21-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850_branded View Post
I've seen that it helps if people define what "safe" means, because different people have different definitions/perspectives on what that means to them, so...what defines "safe" to you? (This may help people provide you with more accurate suggestions/recommendations.)
When I say safe, I mean, I don't want to be hear police sirens every evening. I don't want to be near a place of business that gets robbed all the time. I want to feel comfortable to shop for groceries in the area after dark. I don't want a panhandler to be asking me for money when I step out of my car. By safe, I'm not looking for The Hamptons per se; I just want violence and theft to be minimal.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:40 PM

996 posts, read 1,235,199 times
Where in the Little Rock area will he be working?

Any children / do you care about schools?

How much space / how big of an apartment do you need?

How long is "temporarily"?

Im thinking that $460 will get you a non nice area of Little Rock, or if you're staying in a small town outside of Little Rock might get you in a little apartment somewhere.
When I have college interns come work for me for 6 months I usually recommend they stay in the Riverdale area, which is adjacent to the river and Big Dam bridge and biking/walking trails, they're generally paying in the $700 - $1,200 per month range. The Riverdale area has everything from older okay apartment complexes where you'll pay $600 to $800 per month for a 1 bedroom, up to brand new places where you'll probably pay $1,200 for a 1 bedroom & $2,500+ a month for a three bedroom apartment.

Last edited by Regajohn; 12-21-2018 at 06:50 PM..

Old 12-23-2018, 11:06 AM

Default Thanks; I forgot to mention these things

We have no children. The job is in the West End of Little Rock off Natural Resources Drive.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
Where in the Little Rock area will he be working?

Any children / do you care about schools?

How much space / how big of an apartment do you need?

How long is "temporarily"?

Im thinking that $460 will get you a non nice area of Little Rock, or if you're staying in a small town outside of Little Rock might get you in a little apartment somewhere.
When I have college interns come work for me for 6 months I usually recommend they stay in the Riverdale area, which is adjacent to the river and Big Dam bridge and biking/walking trails, they're generally paying in the $700 - $1,200 per month range. The Riverdale area has everything from older okay apartment complexes where you'll pay $600 to $800 per month for a 1 bedroom, up to brand new places where you'll probably pay $1,200 for a 1 bedroom & $2,500+ a month for a three bedroom apartment.
By temporary, I mean a minimum of 18 months. I don't need anything larger than 600 square feet, though extra space is totally fine. 500 sq. ft. can do.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:58 PM

12 posts, read 22,412 times
Mabelvale is basically SW Little Rock (Baseline Rd, 65th St.) I'd stay away from places down there.

There are quite a few apartments in West Little Rock (area west of I-430) to choose from. The Midtown area and Riverdale area also have some good apartments. The general rule of thumb for LR is avoid areas south of I-630. I'd say the good smaller apartments in this area are $600-700 and up per month. Below that, well, there's probably a reason why it is cheap. The nicer, newer apartments in LR will cost over $1,000/month for a 1 bdrm.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98sb715 View Post
Mabelvale is basically SW Little Rock (Baseline Rd, 65th St.) I'd stay away from places down there.

There are quite a few apartments in West Little Rock (area west of I-430) to choose from. The Midtown area and Riverdale area also have some good apartments. The general rule of thumb for LR is avoid areas south of I-630. I'd say the good smaller apartments in this area are $600-700 and up per month. Below that, well, there's probably a reason why it is cheap. The nicer, newer apartments in LR will cost over $1,000/month for a 1 bdrm.
What do you think of the numbered streets in North Little Rock ? (For example 17th, 2nd, etc? Low rent there too. Got approved at a place on Reservoir Rd in Little Rock but realized it was too far when they sent us his assignment address. I'm bummed. He will be working at the USPS P&DC on McCain.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:42 PM

12 posts, read 22,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCriollo View Post
What do you think of the numbered streets in North Little Rock ? (For example 17th, 2nd, etc? Low rent there too. Got approved at a place on Reservoir Rd in Little Rock but realized it was too far when they sent us his assignment address. I'm bummed. He will be working at the USPS P&DC on McCain.
I wouldn't suggest living in any apartments south of I-40 in North Little Rock outside of Argenta ("downtown" NLR), which is the area where W. Broadway St and N. Main St intersect west of I-30. I'd suggest staying south of 9th St in the N. Main St corridor, and always west of I-30. 2 apartments are Argenta Square and Argenta Flats. If you look up where those are that is Argenta. It's a compact downtown area. Riverside at Rockwater are nearby apartments that are also safe, but are pricey for this area. NLR south of I-40 is mostly houses and shady neighborhoods, including several public housing projects. South of I-40 includes many of the numbered streets in NLR. Lastly, there are some apartments around McCain Blvd in NLR. The Lakewood area near McCain is nice. The city of Sherwood is also a nice area. However, these areas tend to be more houses and not many apartments. I wouldn't recommend areas in the NW part of NLR north of I-40, such as areas around Pike Ave or Camp Robinson Rd.

Last edited by 98sb715; 01-10-2019 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area