Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:34 PM

22 posts, read 76,058 times

Advertisements

We are going to completely gut and rebuild a house we just purchased on LI. We're new to the area so we're not familiar with the suppliers/businesses. We need basically everything: sheetrock, kitchen cabinets, tile, carpets, windows, etc.
Does anyone know of any discount suppliers or wholesalers or even places that won't charge you an arm and a leg for materials on Long Island?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 05:58 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,457 times
Default Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa927 View Post
We are going to completely gut and rebuild a house we just purchased on LI. We're new to the area so we're not familiar with the suppliers/businesses. We need basically everything: sheetrock, kitchen cabinets, tile, carpets, windows, etc.
Does anyone know of any discount suppliers or wholesalers or even places that won't charge you an arm and a leg for materials on Long Island?

Thanks!
You're not going to find bargains or discounts on Long Island proper; it just doesn't exist. However I can recommend a reliable supplier who will deliver on time and offers fair prices; Nassau-Suffolk Lumber. I've used them for several projects and never had a complaint.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:21 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,932,805 times
there is a store in Ronkonkoma run by habitat for humanity that sells new, leftover building supplies at steep discounts. You can also join freecycycledotorg & craigslist long island. there are often gently used or leftover new materials being given away, traded or sold.
If you have the means & you can pick stuff up you'll avoid hefty delivery charges from most suppliers. Most local lumber yards will still extend a slight discount for cash.
My husband & I pride ourselves on doing trash to treasure projects & shoestring budget renovations.
We bought a total fixer in as is condition & did all the work ourselves.
We gutted & renovated a tiny, disgusting galley kitchen & turned it into a 13 x19 kitchen with EVERYTHING new for $5,000 in 2004.
Let me know if you have more specific questions.
before

after

Old 07-06-2007, 06:24 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,298 times
Very Nice Kitchen! Those moldings must have been fun...

Old 07-06-2007, 06:42 AM

THANKS! I'm very happy with it!

Old 07-06-2007, 07:47 AM

16 posts, read 80,976 times
thats nice how much did that counter top run you?

Old 07-06-2007, 12:31 PM

22 posts, read 76,058 times
Kelly,
The kitchen is beautiful. My husband and I also love to do fixer-upper projects ourselves and have saved tons of money in remodeling our current house. We were able to find the deals/bargains/etc especially considering we had lived in the area for awhile. We were able to do our kitchen for $3000, but that's Buffalo pricing. I think for Long Island, you got way better deals than us! We're not very familiar with what's on the Island, that's why we're finding it a little difficult to initially sniff out the deals.
Can you tell me where you purchased your cabinets, countertops and flooring?
Thank you so much for your help!

Old 07-06-2007, 08:19 PM

sure, we got the cabs at home depot, they are preassembled special order cabs. The countertop was custom fabricated by a local guy. it was $800 installed. The flooring is VCT from home depot. Everything we bought was very inexpensive but this is our 4th year in the house & it still looks great. We entertain just about every weekend & I've cooked several sitdown dinners for 18 & aside from having a double oven this kitchen does it all.
We used the bigger molding & a bold paint color to make everything look more custom.
Where on LI will you be living?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:47 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
there is a store in Ronkonkoma run by habitat for humanity that sells new, leftover building supplies at steep discounts. You can also join freecycycledotorg & craigslist long island. there are often gently used or leftover new materials being given away, traded or sold.
If you have the means & you can pick stuff up you'll avoid hefty delivery charges from most suppliers. Most local lumber yards will still extend a slight discount for cash.
My husband & I pride ourselves on doing trash to treasure projects & shoestring budget renovations.
We bought a total fixer in as is condition & did all the work ourselves.
We gutted & renovated a tiny, disgusting galley kitchen & turned it into a 13 x19 kitchen with EVERYTHING new for $5,000 in 2004.
Let me know if you have more specific questions.
before

after

Wow!...very nice renovation...I love doing budget renos and seeing the finished project is very rewarding.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:37 PM

thanks citybythebay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island