Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 07:37 AM

991 posts, read 4,619,991 times

Advertisements

Hello! stay away from Massepequa, i have relatives from there that just moved to Fla, they are extremely prejudiced, the way they talk with their neighbors made me ill, but I have to laugh because where they moved to in Fla is extremely mixed!!!!So, good luck with your move and a big welcome, have you thought of Suffolk County? Medford, Coram , Patchogue all would be okay because there is alot of tolerance to diversity in these towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,991 times
Hello -- You might also want to look at Huntington in Western Suffolk (right on the border). Oyster Bay is another area, Locust Valley, or Glen Cove (seems like a bit more crime in Glen Cove - but I always go there).

Old 01-26-2007, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 14,691 times
Amityville is one of the few communities I have noticed that are one where you see people of different races communing on the village area.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:30 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,771,212 times
Coming from LI, 13 years ago, and moving to Pa., I can tell you, that if I won the lottery for $250,000,000. tomorrow, I would never go back.
What makes you think you want to live there??
Cost of living is absolutely rediculous. Traffic, crime, congestion, everything is so expensive!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2007, 11:04 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,658,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Coming from LI, 13 years ago, and moving to Pa., I can tell you, that if I won the lottery for $250,000,000. tomorrow, I would never go back.
What makes you think you want to live there??
Cost of living is absolutely rediculous. Traffic, crime, congestion, everything is so expensive!!!!!!!!!
To each his/her own. Some of my wife's family moved to Pennsylvania, and I want to stab myself in the eye whenever I have to visit. Cost of real estate is in direct relation to the desirability of the area...it's about the only product that is like this. If the area is dirt cheap, there must be a reason. I also know, 90% of the people moving to PA would not be doing so if it was as expensive as the places they are leaving, so that also means something.

And, by the way, wait a few more years and the traffic in PA will be comparable. Plus, I believe that LI has the lowest crime rate in the country...and that's including all the crappy areas where 90% of the crime happens.

Again, to each his/her own.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:12 AM

40 posts, read 207,902 times
You will of course find racists every where you go.

Fortunately, they are becoming a smaller percentage of the general pop, everywhere in the US.

I believe, Long Island to be one of the more accepting areas as far as race is concerned.

It helps your situation that, IMO, so many urbanites/suburbanites have become quite insular, and too self-absorbed to worry about, or bother anyone, that is going about their legitimate business.

On the other hand, if you do not like paying out the nose for virtually everything, such as property taxes, sales tax, rent, gasoline, electric, water, cable bills, etc., and if voluminous traffic leaves you stressed, then Long Island may not be a desirerable move for you.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:26 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,771,212 times
GCGuy,
What I was merely trying to point out was if this person was unaware of the huge cost of living after living in certain parts of Pa, she would be in for a huge shock. Pa is a pretty big state, you are really generalizing in your comments. LI is expensive everywhere, PA however has many different types of areas. Not only is the cost of real estate cheaper, my taxes, insurance, electric bill and cable bill are 1/2 of what they were on LI. I don't live in a less than desireable area. I am basing what I said on facts, not opinion, its cheaper, less stressful, much more scenic, and the quality of life has greatly improved.
As for crime being low on LI, yeah right! I still have relatives there, I know what goes on in their neighborhoods. How many people do you know with security systems and car alarms? Do they have these because there is no crime?

Old 01-28-2007, 06:28 PM

91 posts, read 436,459 times
Look further North, like Williston Park, New Hyde Park...great areas, close to NYC, Roosevelt Field Mall...etc.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:01 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,658,586 times
I don't know what you're looking for, in terms of convenience and cost-of-housing, or commuting time - but I would stay away from Franklin Square and Massapequa. Not wanting to insult anyone on the board, I will simply say that the traffic around most of Massapequa is ridiculous, and the attitudes of many, although certainly not all, Massapequans, is one of rudeness and selfishness.

Bellmore is nice, and Rockville Center is a favorite town of mine. Finally, in addition to the towns listed by other posters', you might also want to look at Merrick.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:35 AM

11 posts, read 53,048 times
Wink moving to long island from PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetZ Riide View Post
I am planning on relocating to Long Island from Pennsylvania! Could anyone please give me some truthful info on a good place to live? I was looking into Franklin Square,Massapequa,Lynbrook,and a few other places! I am in a interracial relationship (i am black he is white), and I was wondering what areas I should avoid as far as acceptance? Where I live now it is accepting and I want to know what areas are also! You can email me or reply on here! All help is apprciated!

Thank you!

I am a black woman who is married to a white man, and we live in the town of selden, long island (suffolk county). I love it here and have never felt uncomfortable or not accepted (10 yrs now). we have a son and and a new baby on the way. I think that you would find it to your liking. the school district is very good and so are the other neighboring towns and school districts. Be aware though, cost of living and housing is very expensive. You mentioned that where you live is "accepting"... where is that exactly and what does accepting mean? We're looking to move to PA. let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island