Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 03:55 PM

55 posts, read 85,594 times

Advertisements

Everyone welcomes to chip in, of course a polite environment please.

If you have 850k for a single family house, wife, husband (both master degree graduates) with two middle school kids, and a dog, where would you spend your money for a long term settlement. We both work remotely and kids need to attend local public schools.

Please share with us all the pros and cons about these three locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 07:18 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
All good communities which I could live in easily.

Hauppauge may have lower property taxes because of the huge Hauppauge Industrial Park which is in the school district. Another good thing about Hauppauge is easy road access to the Northern State Parkway and the Long Island Expressway.

Commack has decent road access as well (especially to the Northern State) but it is a bit further. Commack has alot of stores but unfortunately pays for it with alot of traffic especially along Jericho Turnpike.

I believe Smithtown has the highest taxes? Not sure but I think Commack's is kind of high too. Smithtown is also the furthest from the highways but it is also the quietest. There is also alot of history and a downtown area.

Old 12-12-2023, 08:05 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,916 times
Some information of Commack
Parts of Commack are in Huntington Township, others in Smithtown township. The dividing line is Commack Road, which becomes aptly named Townline Road north of Jericho Turnpike (NY 25). This will determine differences in garbage collection, library districts (there two libraries , one for each of the townships) , taxing districts, parking for LIRR (for example you cannot purchase a resident parking sticker for the Huntington train station if you live in the Smithtown township section of Commack). You mentioned working remotely, but believe me if you commute to NYC, you want to commute from Huntington. Town beaches, another consideration. Smithtown parks are VERY strict about who uses their parks and beaches.
IMO Callahans Beach is the gem of Smithtown parks, Crab Meadow the gem of Huntington parks. Both quite nice.

Another interesting fact is that parts of East Northport attend Commack schools. The area bordered on north by Clay Pitts Road, west on Larkfield Road, east on Commack Road and south on Burr Road has East Northport addresses, but residents there send their kids to Commack schools. And I *think* there are small sections of Commack that send their kids to other school districts. So be careful to inquire about which school district your kids will attend.

As mentioned, traffic is a nightmare in Commack, especially around the area where Jericho Tpke and Veterans Highway intersect, and Commack Road down by the Northern State Parkway and LIE interchanges.

Last edited by lifetimeliguy; 12-12-2023 at 08:22 PM..

Old 12-13-2023, 10:28 AM

Thank you all for the replies and I very do appreciate all the little details. We will definitely using all the information provided here to helping us narrow down the selection of ours.

There is another question/concern I have but really can't find it publicly. Which school district, of course this is more of a subjective selection of an opinion, is more leaning towards educating the youths, and less focusing on pushing agendas (political, trendy stuff etc.)?

Old 12-13-2023, 04:30 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Some information of Commack

Another interesting fact is that parts of East Northport attend Commack schools. The area bordered on north by Clay Pitts Road, west on Larkfield Road, east on Commack Road and south on Burr Road has East Northport addresses, but residents there send their kids to Commack schools. And I *think* there are small sections of Commack that send their kids to other school districts. So be careful to inquire about which school district your kids will attend.
You are correct. A small section of Commack is in the Half Hollow Hills SD.

Old 12-13-2023, 06:58 PM

We are also expanding our searches to the Three Village SD, Port Jeff SD and Mt Sinai SD.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:47 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
is commute a factor at all? Seems like you're looking across a pretty large geographic area.

Old 12-14-2023, 09:57 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
is commute a factor at all? Seems like you're looking across a pretty large geographic area.
I believe he said they both work remotely

Old 12-14-2023, 12:30 PM

Thanks. Commute is not an issue for us. Ideally we would like to have a bigger lot (0.25 acre +), even a smaller home.

Old 12-14-2023, 12:50 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
You stated a max of $850k as purchase price, but didn't indicate what your max is for RE taxes - that could eliminate one or more of the areas you're looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island