Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,716 times

Advertisements

I'm a long time Long Beach resident and I now work in Downtown Los Angeles. I'm in the market to buy a home and found a few great craftsman style houses in the Leimert Park / Jefferson Park / Exposition Park area that fit my budget. Can anyone help me get a better picture of what the area is like? I've driven through various times and the main streets don't look too welcoming. I do like the look and feel of many of the residential streets and it seems as though many of the homes there are being restored. Is the area going through a revitalization? If so, how long has this revitalization been going on? Is it safe to assume that it will continue?

I'm interested in a home 3 blocks from the Western/Exposition metro station and was wondering if it would be safe for me to commute via metro to work and back every day. I sometimes commute via blue line to downtown so I'm not a complete metro-newbie, but I can't assume that the areas are completely comparable. I'm mostly concerned about a stretch of Western (south of exposition) that looks like it has seen better days. Is the area walkable for women and children?

I grew up in very diverse neighborhood so I'm not one to scare too easily. Since buying a home would make my move semi-permanent, I would like to know what to expect or what to avoid. Any information or advice would help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 12:28 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,257,587 times
My brother and his wife bought a house in Leimert Park about a year and a half ago and they absolutely love it and so does their daughter. When I moved to LA from Seattle I stayed with them for a month. The neighborhood is nice and quiet and I use to walk their dog throughtout Leimert Park. I like the fact that its pretty close to all the major spots around LA. Not that its a big deal but to my surprise a white gay couple moved into the house on my brother's street that was for sale.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:06 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,949,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
My brother and his wife bought a house in Leimert Park about a year and a half ago and they absolutely love it and so does their daughter. When I moved to LA from Seattle I stayed with them for a month. The neighborhood is nice and quiet and I use to walk their dog throughtout Leimert Park. I like the fact that its pretty close to all the major spots around LA. Not that its a big deal but to my surprise a white gay couple moved into the house on my brother's street that was for sale.
I wonder what Leimert Park will be like in 10 years time. It's interesting how neighbourhoods change.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:22 AM

164 posts, read 347,648 times
As long as you stay away from the jungles you will be good in the crenshaw plaza mall is dirty and nasty. Other than that there are nice homes in the area but beware of a lot of black military activity that goes on there

Old 05-15-2012, 03:02 PM

203 posts, read 577,566 times
I wouldn't consider Jefferson or Exposition park, but Leimert has a lot of nice houses and the apartments are cool.

Not sure what you consider "Leimert" though...to me, I'm speaking of the east of Crenshaw, West of Arlington, between maybe Stocker but really MLK and then to Rodeo...streets like Degnan, Westside, and Hepburn where I visit pretty often. Very nice, I think Ali even had a house there back in the day. The two story homes start at Hepburn and go for a few blocks east from what I remember.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:36 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,257,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
I wonder what Leimert Park will be like in 10 years time. It's interesting how neighbourhoods change.
I was wondering the same thing! It will be interesting to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles