Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 07:08 AM

2 posts, read 7,930 times

Advertisements

I am currently considering moving into Downey or South Gate.

I've heard that many parts of Downey are quite ran down than they used to be in the past whereas South Gate is pretty much a ghetto.

I am currently considering a place on Florence Avenue, Downey (near Haledon Ave. and Arrington Ave.) and a place on Imperial Highway (near Old School River Road).

Any thoughts on these locations would be highly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 08:38 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,283 times
Florence is a way better area. Imperial/Old School River is almost Lynwood and near Bell Gardens.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:01 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halee4221 View Post
I am currently considering moving into Downey or South Gate.

I've heard that many parts of Downey are quite ran down than they used to be in the past whereas South Gate is pretty much a ghetto.

I am currently considering a place on Florence Avenue, Downey (near Haledon Ave. and Arrington Ave.) and a place on Imperial Highway (near Old School River Road).

Any thoughts on these locations would be highly appreciated
If it must be sight unseen, then I would say Downey, hands down. More DIVERSITY on many levels there.

I have had Hispanic people (immigrants, even) living in South Gate complaining to me about the place. That is, about things such as multiple families to a house and people using their garages as housing for one or even two families apiece.

I don't have much personal experience in SG myself but from what I have heard and read, what used to be a solid, working-class diverse city (whites, Hispanics (many of Cuban extraction), a sprinkling of blacks and Asians) has become, in many of its areas, a warehouse for illegal immigrants from Latin American countries.

Still, check out both for yourself. Nothing like catching the vibe of a neighborhood (day AND night) yourself.

You can use Google Earth various parts of these cities as well to get visual cues, at least.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:57 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,744 times
I think Downey is a relatively more upscale and safer city than SG and all other South LA areas.

Downey also has a large Cuban population... it has a Porto's Bakery and quite a few other Cuban restaurants.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:46 AM

2 posts, read 7,930 times
Thank you all for your opinions!

Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM

573 posts, read 1,360,524 times
downey is a gret neighbor hood its very impresive you wouldnt expect to find million dollar mansions in the middle of south LA with hispanic celebrities living in them.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:59 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
Downey gets better as you get north. The south part is bordered on South Gate and Paramont.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:00 PM

110 posts, read 236,752 times
go to the florence neighborhood, much better than the old river area

Old 07-05-2012, 07:03 PM

329 posts, read 627,689 times
Not all South part of downey is bad. Area bordering bellflower is pretty nice. I agree area near 710(bordering paramount, SG) is pretty run down. Downey is at a crossroads it can become next SG or it can revive as a nice area depending on how city does to it. But so far it's looking promising.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:17 PM

51 posts, read 46,427 times
Downey has its areas. The area between the 5 freeway and Telegraph is OK. It borders Pico Rivera (Telegraph is the border). Pico Rivera is considered a bad neighborhood. The area between the 5 freeway and Florence is considered the rich neighborhood. Large mansions and upper-middle class homes. The area between Florence and Stewart & Gray is mostly OK, with little areas of bad. You will find middle-class homes and apartments in this area. The area between Stewart & Gray and Gardendale/Foster is bad. Mostly apartments and old houses occupied by people on section 8. Most of the gang activity in Downey takes places in the south side of the city. Robberies and Burglaries are common, but not as bad as surrounding areas.

Downey is bordered on all sides by cities considered to be high-crime areas. Most of the crime in Downey is caused by troublemakers from surrounding cities. Downey has its own Police Department.

South Gate is all bad. A good area in South Gate is worse than a bad area in Downey. The worst area of South Gate is the west side. The Hollydale Park area (South East) is probably your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles