Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,527,342 times

Advertisements

The Wolfe Burgers on Lake Ave. closed last fall. It's now a Rounds Burgers. I only ate at Wolfe's once and wasn't that impressed. I like Tommy's more.

The Sabor Cafe recently closed. It was on Colorado across from the Target and Vroman's. It was a larger, pretty nice coffee place. Don't know what happened.

P.S. The Nine and Nine Thai place (Colorado and Oak Knoll) is a great Thai place. It recently moved a few doors westward. The old space is now Noodle and Noodle which has good pho and ramen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,529 times
That west Pasadena Rounds Burgers is in a bad location--off the main throughway (Colorado) and not quite as pedestrian-friendly as it needs. Its building is non-descriptive, too. It might do OK serving the lunch crowd from the nearby buildings, but if I were just driving by, I would probably never stop the car for it.

The one in East Pasadena is in a much better spot.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:37 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,527,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
That west Pasadena Rounds Burgers is in a bad location--off the main throughway (Colorado) and not quite as pedestrian-friendly as it needs. Its building is non-descriptive, too. It might do OK serving the lunch crowd from the nearby buildings, but if I were just driving by, I would probably never stop the car for it.

The one in East Pasadena is in a much better spot.
I don't see a Rounds in East Pasadena. There are some outside of Pasadena.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,253 times
Is Beedles Cafeteria still open? Used to go there all the time, and there was another one owned by the same family, I think it was Pasadena Cafeteria, further down Colorado Blvd. There was some pretty good places in Old Town, before they gentrified the hell outta the place, one was a Mexican eatery, can't remember the name any more.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:01 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Prices for retail/restaurant space in Old Pasadena is ridiculously expensive. That's the irony of gentrification. Investors move in to affordable areas, these places becomes popular, money flows in, prices skyrocket forcing many businesses to close, and then all you have left is a clump of chain stores. That seems to be the cycle of America's urban centers. Gentrification is transforming all urban centers into nothing more but "urban themed" shopping malls with a few overpriced bars and restaurants thrown into the mix.

The next target: DTLA. Specifically, I predict Broadway becoming the next Colorado Blvd in the next ten to twenty years.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I don't see a Rounds in East Pasadena. There are some outside of Pasadena.
Oops, that's Hook Burger--not Round Burger. I was thinking of the Hook Burger next to the Nordstrom Rack plaza in East Pas.

My bad.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Prices for retail/restaurant space in Old Pasadena is ridiculously expensive. That's the irony of gentrification. Investors move in to affordable areas, these places becomes popular, money flows in, prices skyrocket forcing many businesses to close, and then all you have left is a clump of chain stores. That seems to be the cycle of America's urban centers. Gentrification is transforming all urban centers into nothing more but "urban themed" shopping malls with a few overpriced bars and restaurants thrown into the mix.

The next target: DTLA. Specifically, I predict Broadway becoming the next Colorado Blvd in the next ten to twenty years.
Sort of like 3rd St in Santa Monica... the appeal of outdoor such shopping destinations is that they are still on city streets--still authentic public gathering spaces even if they are filled with mall shops.

Outdoor "town center" malls like the Americana and the Grove can't really replicate them. They are fake--just forgeries.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:28 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I loved eating at Wolfe Burgers when I lived in Pasadena. The burgers were so-so, but their pastrami sandwich was pretty close to the one made at "The Hat" (further north on Lake Avenue) and I always came for the pastrami.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:41 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
True I agree about the cycle of gentrification.....but I wouldn't mind if gentrication poped up in my hood in the San Fernando Valley.

Sorry for the lose of your restaurants in Pasadena. I bet a Chipotle is "Coming soon"

Old 03-19-2013, 02:52 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
The Wolfe Burgers on Lake Ave. closed last fall. It's now a Rounds Burgers. I only ate at Wolfe's once and wasn't that impressed. I like Tommy's more.

The Sabor Cafe recently closed. It was on Colorado across from the Target and Vroman's. It was a larger, pretty nice coffee place. Don't know what happened.

P.S. The Nine and Nine Thai place (Colorado and Oak Knoll) is a great Thai place. It recently moved a few doors westward. The old space is now Noodle and Noodle which has good pho and ramen.
I went to Wolfe once. Really terrible burgers. Rounds originally in Hollywood under the Juicy Burger model, then opened its flagship WeHo location in early 2011. Now they're undergoing a huge expansion throughout LA county. They have affordable, fairly large, gourmet build your own burgers (premium toppings and all) with a $5 base price so people love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles