Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:01 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,174,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
So will the industry start hiring non-union writers? You've heard the term "Scab" right? Just curious if it works that way in Hollywood like it does everywhere else.
In the past, when this has happened, those writers are unable to get a job in the industry when the strike is over. So -- no, it doesn't really work like everywhere else.

In answer to the original question, yes. In fact, one of my good friends works on Leno.

Eventually, this will be resolved. I imagine it might not happen until after Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 09:55 PM

61 posts, read 258,469 times
it has impacted me. we were able to finish commercials that were written or in production before the strike.. even though the strike had already started. but once those two gigs for me were up, i haven't gotten any more freelance gigs..and that sucks.

now we're waiting for the strike to end so we can get started on projects that are just waiting to go to production.

strikes are a pain in the arse for all parties involved. from production assistants like me to crew, writers, execs and talent. everyone ends up losing out ultimately unless they're like A-list celebrities (at that point strikes really don't matter.)

it couldn't have come at a worse time with holidays and all. i mean i'm ok financially.. but i'm bored and i want to go back to work. i know people with families who animate for disney and they're struggling for xmas.

hopefully it'll be over soon.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:13 PM

422 posts, read 1,819,373 times
I know two writers who are walking the picket lines. One has a 3-year-old and she and her husband just bought a house. Her hubby has a good job, but they are worried. Sorry about the Leno reruns.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:41 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
It has affected a lot of people I know and a large number of people are hurting, particularly because the west side is so dominated by the entertainment industry.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:45 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,738 times
Wonder which impacts America's ECONOMY more: Writers strike, or autoworkers?

Old 12-14-2007, 01:51 PM

61 posts, read 258,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Wonder which impacts America's ECONOMY more: Writers strike, or autoworkers?
i would say a writer's strike would impact the economy more because, afterall, california's economy ranks up there with independant countries around the world. last time i checked it was like we have like the 7th largest economy in the world. and we aren't known for our automotive industry.

think of all the movies that are being held up for production that would generate millions upon millions? or the advertising revenue being lost?

hell, most of our cars are imports now anyway.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosFeliz_Diva View Post
i would say a writer's strike would impact the economy more because, afterall, california's economy ranks up there with independant countries around the world. last time i checked it was like we have like the 7th largest economy in the world. and we aren't known for our automotive industry.

think of all the movies that are being held up for production that would generate millions upon millions? or the advertising revenue being lost?

hell, most of our cars are imports now anyway.
5th largest economy.

And what you're failing to realize is that the recent UAW strikes were in regard to Toyota and Honda plants in the midwest (ie. what you dismissed as "...imports")

Old 12-14-2007, 05:10 PM

392 posts, read 1,859,227 times
No one I know is affected.
I believe the UAW still has close to 500,000 members (although that keeps dropping so I wouldn't bet on it), I am sure the Writers Guild is no where near that size. Of course when there is a auto strike they typically strike one manufacturer at a time so not everyone is out at once.
LA is a huge town and most of us don't work in TV or film so business carries on and keeps the rest of the economy going. Auto plants are often in smaller towns and are a huge employer for the area. That means when the auto $$ are gone all the business drops and people in all sorts of businesses loose their jobs, right down to the old lady at KMart and the kid at Taco Bell.
I just keep wondering how many of the writers honored the grocery store pickets a few years back.....

Old 12-14-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post

I just keep wondering how many of the writers honored the grocery store pickets a few years back.....
ouch. ...

Old 12-14-2007, 06:38 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,510,807 times
I thought the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
I believe the UAW still has close to 500,000 members (although that keeps dropping so I wouldn't bet on it), I am sure the Writers Guild is no where near that size. Of course when there is a auto strike they typically strike one manufacturer at a time so not everyone is out at once.
LA is a huge town and most of us don't work in TV or film so business carries on and keeps the rest of the economy going. Auto plants are often in smaller towns and are a huge employer for the area. That means when the auto $$ are gone all the business drops and people in all sorts of businesses loose their jobs, right down to the old lady at KMart and the kid at Taco Bell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles