Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:34 AM

245 posts, read 382,922 times

Advertisements

Removing them from one location won't do much in the grand scheme of things. All they are going to do is after being displaced is to find another place to call home on the streets. It's like when you remove one panhandler from a busy freeway off-ramp, another panhandler sees the opportunity and takes his/her place. I don't live in Downtown L.A., I live in the county of L.A and Im ashamed not because of the homeless population but they way they are treated and talked down upon on a neighborhood facebook page. They take pictures of a homeless transient relieving himself(#2) behind a dumpster and post it on facebook. Just recently they had some homeless people removed in front of an abandoned restaurant because they had set up their tents in front sidewalk. I don't know where they were relocated to, but I still see homeless people around this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 11:41 AM

245 posts, read 382,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I'm glad this is happening, we can't continue to encourage people that it's ok to set up a camp, literally, in a city environment. If you want to be Grizzly Adams, move into the wilderness. In order to live in LA, you should stay in a homeless shelter, or share an apartment. No human being should be out on the streets like wild animals.
No human should be out living out in the streets like wild animals, but when the big one hits L.A. the whole town will be in the streets.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:50 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,501,407 times
I wonder how much it cost and time spent to create these laws that aren't enforced

Old 07-01-2015, 11:53 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,902,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I wonder how much it cost and time spent to create these laws that aren't enforced
Well, that time politicians could spend wisely to create another big money-sucking project like a speed rail to San Francisco... I'd presume, these kind of laws (which aren't supposed to be enforced) cost less (next to nothing) than those which are really enforced.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:09 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,691,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
This is the question. I see several each day near the 405 on the westside where I work. Many have managed to collect a few possessions to make their lives a bit easier. I feel sorry for these people - many of whom are mentally ill. You can't just sweep them under the rug.
Have you driven on Ohio under the 405 overpass lately? I did so last week for the first time in months and I cannot believe how bad it's gotten. Now more than ever we need the City of L.A. to put the brakes on this sort of thing.

I do not care where these people go -- as somebody stated, if they want to live like Grizzley Adams then do it out in the wilderness, not here where their creepy habits are encroaching on the lives of the rest of us.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:10 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,997,220 times
This a problem all along the West Coast. Portland, Seattle, Denver, San Diego...etc. Unfortunaltly, The only thing that will get this country to do something about homelessness is for something really violent to happen to somebody. I know that sounds really pessimistic. The only other way is to have mass protest about the homeless situation. Or, for the laws to change. Hopefully the latter will occur first.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:07 PM

496 posts, read 575,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
This a problem all along the West Coast. Portland, Seattle, Denver, San Diego...etc. Unfortunaltly, The only thing that will get this country to do something about homelessness is for something really violent to happen to somebody. I know that sounds really pessimistic. The only other way is to have mass protest about the homeless situation. Or, for the laws to change. Hopefully the latter will occur first.
I agree. Most cities have reactionary politics instead of forward thinking politics. I just pray that it does not take a violent situation to spur on reform.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:29 PM

8,502 posts, read 6,923,465 times
They're gonna come down here and we already are swamped with the homeless. There's a beggar or more at almost every intersection. You can hear them late at night, high on meth or some other drugs, screaming their heads off. At our local library the city has to hire security to keep them away, otherwise they would take every seat and chair in the place.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:36 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,923,075 times
The homeless camps have gotten really bad on Broadway and Spring around the 101 FWY as well.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:05 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,691,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
At our local library the city has to hire security to keep them away, otherwise they would take every seat and chair in the place.
How do the security guards keep them out, without claims of unfair discrimination?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles