Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 08:38 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times

Advertisements

I have lived in eight different states and one foreign country (England). I've travelled to most of the states in this country with the exception of Alaska and Hawaii. I've lived in rural areas, small towns, small cities, and one large city -- which is Los Angeles.

I love Los Angeles for the same reasons Jonah does: "There are few cities in the United States where I can go to a bank in which all of the tellers speak Spanish, shop in a Japanese grocery store, have a snack at an Ethiopian restaurant, listen to Korean music on the radio, watch a Pilipino news program on TV, and have a beer at a Samoan bar."

Yeah, we have crime but we are safer than most of the large cities in the USA. Just check that crime ranking report that came out about a month ago.

I've lived in the same place for quite awhile now and I'm ready to move -- I'm just torn about staying in Southern California or moving somewhere entirely different. I really like LA! I often think about all the things I would miss if I left the area and the list is really long!

Quote:
The only complaint I hear from people or POSTs about the southern region of the US is the humidity.
One of my best friends is married to a homicide detective in a southern town. She told me that the school district is currently trying to figure out how to avoid "lockdowns" due to kids taking guns to school. They don't want to install metal detectors because that would cost tax dollars and a lot of parents object. It's funny to her because when we were growing up, kids used to bring guns to school all the time. I guess our generation just didn't use them as much! As you probably can guess, the town gets a lot of "drive-bys" and the murder rate is much higher than it ever used to be.

Last edited by UB50; 11-14-2006 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 09:31 PM

30 posts, read 95,381 times
Default Comparing Apple and Oranges

I did not meant to suggest, now would I, that other parts of this country, and globe for that matter, are free from crime and that Southern California and Los Angeles are the only places that are dealing with a breakdown of social behaviors. I do contend quite strenuously and beg to differ with those who make statements to the effect, “It’s the same everywhere” or “Everyplace has their crime”. Of course I am not suggesting moving from LA to Downtown New York, Chicago, Miami or other major metropolitan area with same or worse problems, only to find it colder, more humid and the buildings taller. My point is that the Southern California region has morphed into one large area of interconnected cities and counties where the distinction between “bad” neighborhood and “good” neighborhoods has become negligible-except for the extremely wealthy.

In other areas in the country where I have visited, there is the city proper where there may be a bad neighborhood-a small area geographically and in number- and the rest of that region where the rest of the people live in generally quiet working neighborhoods. They don’t live in fear of their next door neighbor because two or three families of gang members have harbored together to afford the rent/mortgage.

As a traveling cop, I have spoken to and ridden on patrol with other officers in other areas. I asked one set of detectives to take me to their “bad neighborhood”. I was shocked to see it look like a middle class California neighborhood with some trash and some junky cars. I laughed and asked them if they were serious about it being their bad neighborhood. I honestly couldn’t tell on some streets that it was a bad neighborhood. It wasn’t the dilapidated mess that exists in many Southern California cities. Ever flown over in a helicopter? Some of the region looks like the war pictures from Time magazine.

My overall point is that comparing So Cal crime to everywhere that isn’t a major metropolitan area and stating, “Crime is the same everywhere” is incorrect in my estimate. Is there any place that is perfect? No. Do other places have horrible crime occurring in their city/region? Absolutely. Is it the same thing everywhere? Absolutely not! (Again, I’m not referring to one horse towns.)

As far as cultural differences; I enjoy the variety of cultures, foods and learning from different people. I’m the son of an immigrant (legal). My parents and my childhood friend’s parents also were immigrants, however they assimilated to American cultures and societal values. My mother of 74 years, flies the American flag on her house, has an American flag sticker on her car and does not put a definer in front of the word American, e.g. (Blank)-American, even though she still speaks English (fluently) with a detectable foreign accent. Same was true for my friend’s parents. She has not forgone her country nor her heritage by gladly accepting the American traditions that she first didn’t know or understand.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:45 PM

56 posts, read 389,018 times
Jeez. LAPD Life on the Beat is one of my favorite shows. Its funny to see all of the areas on there, and listen about them on here as well. I always dreamed of becoming an LAPD officer.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacificop View Post
In other areas in the country where I have visited, there is the city proper where there may be a bad neighborhood-a small area geographically and in number- and the rest of that region where the rest of the people live in generally quiet working neighborhoods. They don’t live in fear of their next door neighbor because two or three families of gang members have harbored together to afford the rent/mortgage.
If you do have children, I would caution you to check out the "gun culture" where you are moving. As a law enforcement person, I'm sure you realize this.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:13 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
All silliness. It is OK not to like big cities. Smaller cities have their advantages...but so do big ones. And rural communities have advanteges over both and large flaws as well.

So go already...it is not your bag. Find somewhere better. Be careful though about rationale. Turns out the criteria changes with the surround.

I was born in the hard core east, grew up in the borderline south, went to college and lived for some years in the east. Went west went east went west...stayed. Now go East only for funerals and weddings. Rural? Nah...don't think so. LA nah only to visit.

Whatever turns you on. But don't start thinking there is "right" there. Nope. Just choice.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:28 PM

11 posts, read 69,117 times
Smile Good For You Pacificop!

You have definately extended your life expectancy...I agree whole heartedly with everything you wrote! My husband and I worked in law enforcement in Orange County, what a bunch a miserable nobs. I don't know who was worse the criminals or 60% of my miserable backstabbing co-workers who were quasi-ghetto themselves. I gave up the nonsense, but my hub is a Probation/Parole Officer in Idaho and LOVES it, he worked detention to get his foot in the door. They were all the coolest, nicest people. The when he went to P&P, they were even cooler. The courts and community support law enforcement, have great attitudes, and love life.
They have P.A.L. sports leagues up here (Police Action League) and the Meridian P.A.L. pictures have a police SUVs in the background. The Officers coach, and when we pass a police officer my boys hang out the window to see one of their coaches, and if it is one...they wave and yell.."Hey Coach!!"
The police take their cars home, park in their front yards, and are proud of being a part of the community. They are not scared...They are treated with respect.
Oh to UB50 who warns of the "Gun Culture" change your name to Michael Moore...I raised my kids with love and discipline...they own their own guns at 11 and 12...have been to hunter safety course. Have shot dove, pheasant, and deer. They respect themselves, their family and their guns. Unlike the craps who live in SoCal who buy a weapon in the alley and wave it around to threaten and intimidate at 13 years old to be a "Bad Ass in the Hood."
Look into the Gun Culture!!!!!!!! Have you actually opened your eyes in SoCal...especially LosAngeles! (The epitome of Gun Culture!) Give me a break.
I was born and raised in the O.C, and was so disgusted by the lack of respect for everything. Throw trash, pee wherever, cutoff people, not a please or thank you for anything...enough was enough..that is not where I grew up, or where I wanted my children to grow up. disgusting.
Via Con Dios You Go With God, do not believe you will freeze to death, Boise has pretty moderate weather, but people do live in Norway and love it there...they ski, snowmobile and bundle up. We have ski passes, snowmobile buddies, and sled in our backyard when we have more than 1 inch of snow, which isn't very often! We enjoy the tulips in the spring, the flowers all summer long, and the trees shedding their leaves. We can take the boat out to just watch the sunset for an hour, and come home. Yes, there is life outside of California and after two years I wouldn't trade it for the world. My boys love it here, they can ride their quads, and motorcycles all over, in the summer we go to the river and the boys jump off rope swings into the water. The simple pleasures which somehow are lost in California from the California of my youth.
I would not trade all the good Chinese, Thai, Mexican, Phillipino, Cuban food in California for the simple pleasures I have found here!
Have a Great Life, and Enjoy it while you can...even if it means wearing a sweater in the winter like half the world! Ha.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:39 PM

30 posts, read 95,381 times
Default Reply to all

Thank you for your kind words and respectful discussions. Although, we don't all agree, at least there wasn't rude name calling. See ya later, I'm heading out for Nashville in the morning for a weeks vacation and new residency prospecting.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:42 PM

38,886 posts, read 22,870,508 times
Default California to Colorado exodus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy29 View Post
I've always wanted to try living in Colorado Springs or Castle Rock,but I decided to stay in California,because of my Family and Friends and I hate having to start all over in adjusting to a new surrounding.

California does have problems,but we ain't gonna continue putting up with it,especially Illegal Immigration.

This State also has Gorgeous Scenery and a Great Variety of Things to See and Do,so that's another reason why i'm staying put :-)
I regularly hang out in the Colorado forums myself (usually lurk, though I did write one post last night over there), and am just astounded at the number of California people either making inquiries about what it's like to live in Colorado, or who have successfully moved from here to there. I'm staying here in California, mainly because all my family and friends are all here, and, like you, it would be hard to start all over someplace else.

As I mentioned before, one thing Colorado doesn't have is a Trader Joe's---not even ONE in the entire state (I checked their website to confirm)! I think it's only a matter of time before the California transplants start clamoring to get one built. Oh, and Colorado doesn't have any In-n-Out Burger restaurants, either.

And you're right that California has diverse geography and scenery, as well as lots to see and do, another plus to living here.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaGirl View Post
Oh to UB50 who warns of the "Gun Culture" change your name to Michael Moore...I raised my kids with love and discipline...they own their own guns at 11 and 12...have been to hunter safety course. Have shot dove, pheasant, and deer. They respect themselves, their family and their guns.
Ha! I was raised around that kind of "gun culture" (hunting) and there isn't anything wrong with it. That's not the kind of gun culture I was referring to.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:44 AM

11 posts, read 69,117 times
I'm sorry, but I don't understand which one you are referring to, if you are not talking about the Ghetto California Gun Culture one, or the Red State Hunting One...Which perchance are you talking about??? Please educate me.

Last edited by IdaGirl; 11-15-2006 at 01:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles