Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 09:39 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,106,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedr83 View Post
This is why LA real estate is so expensive, there are only a few places in the entire city that you would actually want to live. LA was once a beautiful city, now it only has pockets of greatness left.

So you are telling me LA is cheap in most places except the great places? I have found this not to be the case and that even a starter house in a bad area costs $500k+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 10:00 PM

10 posts, read 44,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
The mix of cultures is certainly nice, IF the folks not originally from the US try to assimilate to American culture as well; i.e., learn English, etc.

Sadly, that concept has pretty much fallen by the wayside.
Maybe they are too old to learn another language. You need alot of enthusiasm and energy to learn a new language. Especially when you don't need English to survive, you don't have the drive to learn it.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:11 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,057,161 times
I can't stand living in Los Angeles. I hate this place with a passion and I've only been here three years. I relocated from NYC. For some reason (don't ask me why now) I actually believed LA was a west coast version of NY. Boy was I wrong!

This place sucks to high heaven and I cannot wait to leave here next year.

The fakest, phoniest, slimiest people come here and try to get over on you. Being that I'm from NYC it's very hard to do, because I can smell a con a mile away. But you really need to becareful and watch your back. Whatever you do - DO NOT GET INVOLVED WITH AN ILLEGAL. They may or may not like you, but trust - they want that paper first.

I've got tons of stories, but I can definitely say that the JOB MARKET IS AWFUL! Only people that know someone will get hooked up. Seriously. It's very "who you know" here over "what you know".

Old 11-18-2006, 09:39 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,615,067 times
marilyn, I've lived here over 50 years and agree with you whole-heartedly. I am alerting other readers of this forum that she is not spouting cliched NY vs. L.A. rant, but even as a newcomer has figured the place out.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:56 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,057,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
marilyn, I've lived here over 50 years and agree with you whole-heartedly. I am alerting other readers of this forum that she is not spouting cliched NY vs. L.A. rant, but even as a newcomer has figured the place out.
THANK YOU!!

I feel bad for you, because I know you've seen the city "change" within the last twenty years or so. You must feel so disappointed. People told me not to come here, but I just shrugged them off. I wish I would have listened, but luckily it's not too late to get out of dodge! LOL!

Old 11-19-2006, 01:57 AM

989 posts, read 5,934,022 times
LA is TERRIBLE. The people are some of the worst any other city I have been to. I mean, if you leave fancy Beverly Hills and go to a normal LA "so called working class neighborhood" 1 in 3 people look like a gangster. -That's ridiculous! Alot of people have the fiery look in the eyes like they are pissed off and want to robb you-

Too many are now putting 6,7,8... illegal aliens into small 2 br apartment units. LA was not designed for this. What ever happened to the 1960's? Our freeway system was the "model" system, it was state-of the art, other cities drooled..

Transportation is a JOKE and we still don't have a rail past Hollywood, but instead we build to connect the rail with areas of non-vital economic importance such as East LA, and Boyle Heights.

I can't wait to get out. SMOG is on the rise. GRAFFITI is the WORST IN THE NATION.

Old 11-19-2006, 05:09 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,204,756 times
The good part is: We have graffitti painted by Urban Artists! That's right! We get graffitti painted by guys who get $250 an hour to PAINT GRAFFITTI and they do it for FREE on walls that are already marked on!

There are some good websites about graffitti but I won't post them here because I know this website has a thing about links -- but Google "Claw Money" and "Pryer" and UTI and graffitti and you'll learn all about our urban artists. You can get a free education on urban art! It might give you a whole new outlook on it too (which wouldn't hurt since most are so negative around here.)

Claw Money is actually a female Jewish graffitti artist FROM A GOOD FAMILY!! Her story is worth looking her up alone!

Old 11-19-2006, 09:04 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,615,067 times
Oh come on now, even a joking defense of property crimes is akin to claiming "I heart bank robbers!" Graffiti vandalism is completely unsupportable, and the very definition of anti-social behaviour.

These vile little psychos are the forefront of the broken window theorem of urban planners, experts who contend a population getting away with the small crimes will automatically escalate as it sees non-repair of property crimes as tacit acceptance; and its converse, that if you fix the broken windows, the neighborhood will eventually appear to be safeguarded and less appealing to crime doers.

Currently as part of my neighborhood watch activism I bypass the county system for graffiti removal, which could take months, and go directly to community service for help in removing "L'il Loco" and "BVN psycho buds" in their huge, ugly black paint from the sidewalks in our "middle class" block, since I personally don't have a sandblaster. Since you're an advocate of same, perhaps we should just call you.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:28 AM

9,030 posts, read 20,452,497 times
From a "former" Southern Calif. couple (wife had lived in L.A. before I met her) and we both lived in O.C. after being married. And, we have both worked in L.A. before (my wife as an "extra" in movies and myself as an EMT). Living in L.A. can be fine if you are young, have money and "good looks". In fact, there are a number (not a lot though) of young people who live here in the Denver metro area that would love to move to Southern California/L.A. because there is so much to do there. To them "kids", Denver can be extremely BORING.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:51 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,204,756 times
The single color graffiti is usually the work of kids. The Urban Artists paint the big multi-colored things. I even saw of photo of a religious scene one of them painted on the side of a building in Santa Monica. From what I read, it appears a lot of them aren't kids. Some are even husband and wife teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles