Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 03:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,010,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
How many items do you buy or use that are manufactured from France? Don't worry, I'll wait.

There is not one manufacturer in the southern United States or in the Japanese automotive manufacturing market in the US that is unionized that I am aware of (by state law or company policy). Many plant workers work 40-50 hours per week, but there isn't an engineer I know in this industry that puts in less than 50 plus hours per week. Manufacturing isn't just about assembly, you have to have a person design the things that get assembled too and that doesn't get done in 40 hour work weeks.

Go ahead and run a business and let me know how long you last running it on 40 hours per week. Also, many billionaires work these hours and have relationships (can't comment on sex life, but I imagine they have it since they do have kids) so your conclusion couldn't be more wrong.

The only fool here is the teacher that does not understand economics 101 or business 101. As they say, those who can do, those who can't teach
The subways that we ride in NYC, half of them were made by a French company and half were made by a Japanese company.

Nah. You see as a TEACHER I have PLENTY OF TIME off to pursue my other interests, which INCLUDE traveling. I have no interest in being an engineer, and no interest in being a CEO. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Corporate workers who work long hours (even engineers btw) do so because it SAVES the company money. That's why it is "required" for their careers. It isn't really "required" but that would mean the CEO and other top people would get less MONEY.

If you're working 80 hours a week, big deal if you managed to have enough sex to raise your children. Unless you have a housewife you're paying NANNIES to raise your children and you have little real interaction with them. Either these billionaires are not working the hours you claim, or they have no time for their children beyond paying the 90s. Which is it? And again I do not see what is so appealing about your claim that it is true.

You bring billionaires into this matter in order to justify your working long hours, even though MOST people who work 80 or more hours a WEEK never become billionaires, rich, or middle class. Lots of dirt poor illegal immigrants work 80 hours a week, and so do lots of minimum wage people who have to work all day at two or three jobs. Most people who work these hours, in fact the vast majority of them have no chance of advancement in whatever they do.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:02 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,505,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The subways that we ride in NYC, half of them were made by a French company and half were made by a Japanese company.

Nah. You see as a TEACHER I have PLENTY OF TIME off to pursue my other interests, which INCLUDE traveling. I have no interest in being an engineer, and no interest in being a CEO. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Corporate workers who work long hours (even engineers btw) do so because it SAVES the company money. That's why it is "required" for their careers. It isn't really "required" but that would mean the CEO and other top people would get less MONEY.

If you're working 80 hours a week, big deal if you managed to have enough sex to raise your children. Unless you have a housewife you're paying NANNIES to raise your children and you have little real interaction with them. Either these billionaires are not working the hours you claim, or they have no time for their children beyond paying the 90s. Which is it? And again I do not see what is so appealing about your claim that it is true.

You bring billionaires into this matter in order to justify your working long hours, even though MOST people who work 80 or more hours a WEEK never become billionaires, rich, or middle class. Lots of dirt poor illegal immigrants work 80 hours a week, and so do lots of minimum wage people who have to work all day at two or three jobs. Most people who work these hours, in fact the vast majority of them have no chance of advancement in whatever they do.
You're forgot about the Budd and Pullman Standard trains

Old 05-15-2016, 06:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,010,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Come to think of it CEOs do not work in the sense that working class people or engineers work. Nearly all the work is delegated out. The CEO is responsible for broad strategic decisions, including hiring of top management.

It's nothing like being a rank and file employee. I'm sure most CEOs can decided to work from home, and Bloomberg, a CEO/owner went as far as had someone else run his own company for 12 years while he was the mayor.

These billionaires also had either extreme talent (Jobs, Gates, Zuckerberg) or excellent educations and intelligence (Weill, Bloomberg, Google's founders, Apple's current CEO). No amount of work could get the average person (over 90% of the population) to where these guys are, because most people have neither the talent, education, or the intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles