Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 12:13 AM

29,511 posts, read 22,630,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Probably the strangest question I've ever seen here. I can't go to any part of los angeles county without seeing a lot of Mexicans and Hispanics
This.

I visit my mum who lives in downtown L.A. near the Staples Center and many areas I see plenty of Latino's/Mexicans everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 01:31 PM

305 posts, read 294,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
Beverly Hills isn't Los Angeles.

Hollywood has a lot of Mexican residents, probably a plurality, maybe you just didn't see or notice any amongst all the tourists, it is summertime on Hollywood Boulevard. Downtown is almost even proportion of the big LA ethnic groups, including Mexicans, not seeing them could depend on where you were, or maybe mistaken identity, I don't know. But Mexicans are very spread out throughout the city, not only concentrated on the eastside but they make up the majority of South Central these days, especially east South Central, plenty live by the Harbor, especially Wilmington. A lot live in the Valley, especially the East Valley, especially the Northeast corner of it. Many Central Los Angeles neighborhoods are at least plurality Mexican and there's even long standing communities on the westside. The demographic data supports this, if you didn't notice any that's on you.
Mexican high-middle class tend to be light skinned.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Probably the strangest question I've ever seen here. I can't go to any part of los angeles county without seeing a lot of Mexicans and Hispanics
Agree, I think this is more to stir the pot than anything else. You can go anywhere in the City of LA and surrounding areas and see lots of Latino people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Yeah I was at the Walk Of Fame.
Good grief, here we go again. It's a tourist area.

I can sit in traffic at Hollywood and Vine and tell you who the tourists are and whether they're American or foreign, just by them walking by. Usually the obese ones are the Americans and the slimmer ones wearing dark socks with shorts are the foreigners.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:14 PM

513 posts, read 913,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
The only areas in LA County that DON'T have a supremely large Mexican presence to me are places like Beverly Hills, West Hollywood (ironically), Bel Air, Santa Monica, Playa/Marina Del Rey, Hermosa Beach, and Manhattan Beach. These are just by SoCal standards by the way.

I don't know exactly what you're talking about but all those areas you mentioned are very largely Mexican and Latino. Hollywood is very, very Mexican, and Downtown is SUPER Latino. A previous poster who said you really can't find many places that don't have a large presence in LA is right.

And LA is segregated, to the degree that all US big cities are segregated, but is very diverse compared to many, many other big cities, including the Northeast. I think it's more integrated than NYC and I've lived there before.
Pacific Palisades, Palos Verdes, Brentwood, Malibu, basically 0 Mexicans. L.A is a VERY segregated town.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:02 PM

362 posts, read 543,677 times
Mexicans are all over the place. However, if you’re simply looking for the dark-skinned, pick-up driving, stereotypical prototype of a “Mexican” en masse, than no, you won’t find them other than the aforementioned neighborhoods.

That said, if you broaden your mind and search for professionals with advanced degrees, you’ll find us in Pasadena, the Westside and Orange County. Though we may be difficult to spot, we do exist!

Old 07-23-2016, 10:30 PM

733 posts, read 939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
Pacific Palisades, Palos Verdes, Brentwood, Malibu, basically 0 Mexicans. L.A is a VERY segregated town.
Few Mexican residents, lots of Mexican maids, gardeners and other workers that frequent those areas.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:53 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiandom View Post
they may have white mexicans..
Only a small percentage of Mexican-Americans are white

Old 07-24-2016, 11:03 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,261 times
Quote:
This. There are Mexicans all around the county.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:49 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,311,052 times
That guy on the freeway in his old pickup with the lawn mower in the back who is driving 5 miles below the speed limit.

That's your Mexican.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:47 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
There are Mexicans in those neighborhoods. Affluent Mexicans, of course, but there are certainly Mexicans. Palos Verdes Unified Schools are around 10-15% Hispanic, probably almost all Mexican.

I used to live in Corona del Mar in OC, which is sterotyped as all white, and I had some Mexican neighbors. Of course they were all upper class and they tended to be "white Mexican" but were Mexican nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles