Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 03:42 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Well, he did gamble quite heavily on Atlantic City back in the day.... so probably best to not have a gambling man as President.
Agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 11:55 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
He bought into the hysteria completely.
Well, so have I and so has anyone with a brain.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:32 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Default A lesson in how to speak publicly.

I can't stand listening to the governor speak on tv.

All the tv stations in the Los Angeles area cover his daily conference.
Every other word out of his mouth is "AH"
Example,"We "ah" stating that "ah" we need better "ah' distribution methods for "ah' medical supplies."
The state "ah" is getting these supplies but "ah" delivery "ah" is not as 'ah' I would hope"ah" it would be.

This dude really need to go to speech class.
It is aggravating trying to listen to him.

"AH", that's all folks.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:21 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Man I really was giving Governor Newsom credit and I can’t stand the guy.

But if he keeps talking of potentially extending the stay at home order for months on end, he’s gonna lose me. Really if this thing goes any further than early May, they won’t be able to enforce it anyway unless they bring in the military. Their already losing the battle with more people out today than at any time since the stay at home order went into effect.

Really they might lose control before the end of April.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:15 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post

But if he keeps talking of potentially extending the stay at home order for months on end, he’s gonna lose me. Really if this thing goes any further than early May, they won’t be able to enforce it anyway unless they bring in the military. Their already losing the battle with more people out today than at any time since the stay at home order went into effect.

Newsom and his butt buddy garcetti are Nazis. They need voted out at the earliest possible opportunity.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:25 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:

Same here. Plus his talk of a stimulus bill for illegal immigrants.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:44 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Same here. Plus his talk of a stimulus bill for illegal immigrants.
Newsom makes my stomach turn ... yet, like many here I give him high marks on this crisis.

As to extending the shutdown? I have no opinion ... yet. I thrive on scientifically credible information. Waiting to learn more.

As to stimulus bill including illegals? Hmmm. No opinion yet. But consider that low income folks spend nearly all whatever money they get: right away and locally. So, nearly all whatever they might be granted will circulate in California.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:31 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Newsom is listening to the experts. Flattening the curve will take months, make no mistake. No one is willing to tell the general public this, because people will become disheartened, so the officials go in smaller increments. "Maybe April 30th." Then: "No, sorry, maybe May 15th." This is going to be months, not weeks.

You have to think about the number of people in L.A. County. There are 11 million people. If 8 million of us get COVID-19, and 19% are hospitalized, that's 1,520,000 people. If 6% become critically ill and end up in ICU, that's 480,000 people! There is no way our healthcare system could keep up if 480,000 people need ICU beds within a two or three week period or even a month.

Even with social distancing measures, the number of cases in L.A. County has grown from 3,524 on April 1 to 8,453 as of yesterday. We're keeping a lid on this, but if we stop social distancing and staying at home too early, these numbers will shoot up and all of the sacrifice will have been for nothing. I know this doesn't seem like much of a threat now, but that's because what we're doing is working!

Quote:

Old 04-11-2020, 09:10 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Newsom is listening to the experts. Flattening the curve will take months, make no mistake. No one is willing to tell the general public this, because people will become disheartened, so the officials go in smaller increments. "Maybe April 30th." Then: "No, sorry, maybe May 15th." This is going to be months, not weeks.

You have to think about the number of people in L.A. County. There are 11 million people. If 8 million of us get COVID-19, and 19% are hospitalized, that's 1,520,000 people. If 6% become critically ill and end up in ICU, that's 480,000 people! There is no way our healthcare system could keep up if 480,000 people need ICU beds within a two or three week period or even a month.

Even with social distancing measures, the number of cases in L.A. County has grown from 3,524 on April 1 to 8,453 as of yesterday. We're keeping a lid on this, but if we stop social distancing and staying at home too early, these numbers will shoot up and all of the sacrifice will have been for nothing. I know this doesn't seem like much of a threat now, but that's because what we're doing is working!
At a certain point people are going to start ignoring the stay at home order, especially if other states start easing restrictions. And while I give Newsom high marks for his initial handling, he could quickly go off the rails on this. He knows the economic impact a prolonged stay at home order would have. I doubt even he’s that stupid. I could see this ending by the end of May.

The social distancing is starting to fade if you don’t have people yelling at you. I was in a line at the store (San Diego) and they were yelling at people to remember social distancing. Once inside, all bets were off. There was no social distancing.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:23 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
If the restrictions end by June 1st, we'll see a spike in hospitalizations by the end of June into mid-July. How many lives should we sacrifice to get back to normal? Stupidity doesn't play into this unless you decide that the economy is more important than saving people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
At a certain point people are going to start ignoring the stay at home order, especially if other states start easing restrictions. And while I give Newsom high marks for his initial handling, he could quickly go off the rails on this. He knows the economic impact a prolonged stay at home order would have. I doubt even he’s that stupid. I could see this ending by the end of May.

The social distancing is starting to fade if you don’t have people yelling at you. I was in a line at the store (San Diego) and they were yelling at people to remember social distancing. Once inside, all bets were off. There was no social distancing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles