Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 04:06 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...cases.amp.html

I hope this is allowed to stand. I know there’s two other threads but I posted this in one of them a week ago and didn’t get an answer. There’s a lot of extraneous noise in those threads.

Please keep politics out of this. I’m basically only seeking answers, and even plausible explanations are ok if they are backed with facts and/or expertise.

Proportionally, LA County has way more Covid 19 related cases and deaths. Please please please don’t bring up population as to why we have more cases and deaths. Per capita, we have disproportionally more than the other CA counties and I haven’t been able to understand why.

I’ve heard people cite density, but we are not more dense than SF, which has proportionally way fewer cases and deaths than we do. I’ve heard people cite the number of blue collar service workers in LA County, but I’ve seen no evidence that similar rates exist in comparable neighborhoods in OC, SB, Riverside, or San Diego.

The one that has me intrigued is that there are more elder assisted living centers and homes in LA County than elsewhere. That may make sense as Dr. Ferrer has said something like 40-50% of the deaths in LA County are in those types of facilities. Still I am not aware of factual evidence that this is the answer.

Also I would not entirely lean on the idea that LA County has greater testing as that would not account for the number of deaths(unless someone could show me a spike in deaths in other California counties corresponding to what should be recorded as Covid related deaths)

Old 05-16-2020, 05:06 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post

I hope this is allowed to stand. I know there’s two other threads but I posted this in one of them a week ago and didn’t get an answer. There’s a lot of extraneous noise in those threads.

Please keep politics out of this. I’m basically only seeking answers, and even plausible explanations are ok if they are backed with facts and/or expertise.

Proportionally, LA County has way more Covid 19 related cases and deaths. Please please please don’t bring up population as to why we have more cases and deaths. Per capita, we have disproportionally more than the other CA counties and I haven’t been able to understand why.

I’ve heard people cite density, but we are not more dense than SF, which has proportionally way fewer cases and deaths than we do. I’ve heard people cite the number of blue collar service workers in LA County, but I’ve seen no evidence that similar rates exist in comparable neighborhoods in OC, SB, Riverside, or San Diego.

The one that has me intrigued is that there are more elder assisted living centers and homes in LA County than elsewhere. That may make sense as Dr. Ferrer has said something like 40-50% of the deaths in LA County are in those types of facilities. Still I am not aware of factual evidence that this is the answer.

Also I would not entirely lean on the idea that LA County has greater testing as that would not account for the number of deaths(unless someone could show me a spike in deaths in other California counties corresponding to what should be recorded as Covid related deaths)
If true that would seem like one plausible explanation for the differences. Where did you find the info on the proportion of assisted living facilities in LA County vs. other counties? Not saying it isn't true....just asking.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:09 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
If true that would seem like one plausible explanation for the differences. Where did you find the info on the proportion of assisted living facilities in LA County vs. other counties? Not saying it isn't true....just asking.
Sorry I should have been more clear. I don’t actually know that to be true. The person that told me that is someone likely to know, but I don’t know if that is correct or not.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:09 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
^Ok. No worries.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:31 AM

252 posts, read 348,186 times
it's fake. hospitals are for profit. each covid death = $22k. Hospitals are falsifying deaths to collect. It's all a numbers game.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:42 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
it's fake. hospitals are for profit. each covid death = $22k. Hospitals are falsifying deaths to collect. It's all a numbers game.
This is definitely a factor in overall deaths. But then the question becomes is L.A. county exaggerating those deaths more than other places? I don't know.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:12 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Fake news. Stop worrying yourself with this nonsense. I have

Old 05-17-2020, 01:25 AM

426 posts, read 353,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post

I think it's because LA County has had terrible air pollution especially in the 50-80's. So the people that grew up and lived in the area through those years are now in their 60's+ and have severely compromised lungs and are more susceptible to COVID. It's as if every single resident of LA has been smoking for the last 50 years.

Oh and the other reason is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
Fake news. Stop worrying yourself with this nonsense. I have
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
LA has a more than your average amount of complete nutjob conspiracy theorists who don't understand that this disease is actually lethal instead of some government made up Trumpian fake news.

Last edited by amokk; 05-17-2020 at 01:37 AM..

Old 05-17-2020, 02:00 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
I think it's because LA County has had terrible air pollution especially in the 50-80's. So the people that grew up and lived in the area through those years are now in their 60's+ and have severely compromised lungs and are more susceptible to COVID. It's as if every single resident of LA has been smoking for the last 50 years.
A problem with that theory is that, excluding nursing home deaths, a clear majority of deaths in LA have been in people under 60. (LA has made it easy for many elderly people to hide away from the pandemic world.) However, pollution is a factor, yes.

Quote:
Oh and the other reason is this:

LA has a more than your average amount of complete nutjob conspiracy theorists who don't understand that this disease is actually lethal instead of some government made up Trumpian fake news.
I have scorn for them, but Orange County also has its share.

Here is a better possible explanation:
I think LA has a much higher obesity rate than San Francisco. It did in 2011-2012 (I haven't spent much time Googling late at night).

Also, Los Angeles's teenage population is a much higher percentage of residents than San Francisco's, which raises the possibility that from that alone there is much more asymptomatic spread. I think people in the 20-25 range do more of that (teens hardly grocery shop, for example), but this is getting into speculation.

Last edited by goodheathen; 05-17-2020 at 02:36 AM..

Old 05-17-2020, 03:00 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Oh good grief. Some of you people...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles