Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 05:34 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Most places in the United States are not on par with a 3rd world country like Uruguay. Perhaps Los Angeles, captured by radicals, is now there.
Uruguay is not a third world country. It is classified as a developed country with a human development index above 0.80. It has one of the highest standards of living in all of Latin America.

https://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/f...ofiles/URY.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 01:17 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Mr. Gorbacetti, tear down this bridge!

Hmmm...the original was better.

Old 08-12-2022, 07:53 PM

307 posts, read 241,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
L.A. has plenty of iconic places which isn't exactly surprising given how often it's been shown or talked about in all forms of art out there. It's a city that has an iconic donut place which visitors from all over the world go to see..a donut place. So definitely no real shortage there. L.A. has plenty of places made iconic by their frequent portrayal in pop culture.

Also, I'm not sure how a bridge that connects an area of warehouses and other low level commercial activity which most people probably wouldn't wanna be caught in at night with a fairly nondescript neighborhood again featuring mostly low level commercial activity and lower class housing can be at all like the Eiffel Tower or Central Park...both of which are connected to some of the most desirable and attractive areas in their respective cities with high end shopping, fine dining, entertainment options etc..
Give it some time and lets see where it goes in this department. The Arts District was already booming with housing, restaurants, art houses, shops and even though Covid slowed it down its still back on tract. And I take it the Boyle Heights side is probably up for gentrification which I'm sure the locals who live there shudder at get upset over the thought of that happening. The Eiffel Tower, which I've visited a few years ago, was supposed to be temporary and torn down but they somehow at the last minute ruled against it and it became the icon that it is today. Not even putting the 6th Street Bridge in the same breath as the Eiffel Tower but some of these things take time. Give the surrounding area five years at least. Folks laughed at the ideal of building an arena downtown. Little did they know it would become ground zero for DTLA's rebirth and renaissance

Old 08-18-2022, 07:25 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times

Old 08-18-2022, 09:41 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro1000 View Post
Give it some time and lets see where it goes in this department. The Arts District was already booming with housing, restaurants, art houses, shops and even though Covid slowed it down its still back on tract. And I take it the Boyle Heights side is probably up for gentrification which I'm sure the locals who live there shudder at get upset over the thought of that happening.

The Eiffel Tower, which I've visited a few years ago, was supposed to be temporary and torn down but they somehow at the last minute ruled against it and it became the icon that it is today. Not even putting the 6th Street Bridge in the same breath as the Eiffel Tower but some of these things take time. Give the surrounding area five years at least. Folks laughed at the ideal of building an arena downtown. Little did they know it would become ground zero for DTLA's rebirth and renaissance

^With movie and television production surging, a warehouse property near the newly famous 6th Street bridge in downtown Los Angeles is set to be turned into an $800-million studio to serve the entertainment industry.

East End Studios will submit an application to the city Monday to build a studio on 15 acres at 6th and Alameda streets where streaming services and other entertainment creators could make TV shows and movies. With 16 soundstages, East End Studios’ ADLA Campus would be one of the larger studio projects in the pipeline for Los Angeles County.

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...-arts-district

Old 08-19-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
^With movie and television production surging, a warehouse property near the newly famous 6th Street bridge in downtown Los Angeles is set to be turned into an $800-million studio to serve the entertainment industry.

East End Studios will submit an application to the city Monday to build a studio on 15 acres at 6th and Alameda streets where streaming services and other entertainment creators could make TV shows and movies. With 16 soundstages, East End Studios’ ADLA Campus would be one of the larger studio projects in the pipeline for Los Angeles County.

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...-arts-district
Why is it not being used to house the unhoused?

Old 08-20-2022, 10:07 AM

307 posts, read 241,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Why is it not being used to house the unhoused?
I get where you're coming from but what city in the US or hell any city across the globe would turn down a privately funded project in an up and coming area like this just to house homeless?

Old 08-23-2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro1000 View Post
I get where you're coming from but what city in the US or hell any city across the globe would turn down a privately funded project in an up and coming area like this just to house homeless?
A benevolent one that practiced what it preached.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:50 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
Well I like the bridge, but dont know if its worth $588M dollars. 200 yrs from now, when LA is mostly smoking rubble but the bridge mostly still stands, I wonder if the space alien vistors will nod in approval.

Its on my list to skate that spiral stairway. I wonder how much velocity you'll get in that downward spiral.

Old 08-24-2022, 05:45 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Well I like the bridge, but dont know if its worth $588M dollars. 200 yrs from now, when LA is mostly smoking rubble but the bridge mostly still stands, I wonder if the space alien vistors will nod in approval.

Its on my list to skate that spiral stairway. I wonder how much velocity you'll get in that downward spiral.
I have skated it, and speed really picks up on the way down.
A word of caution if you skate the spiral, especially on the downward end.
Just before entering the last curve, almost at ground level, one slab of concrete on the right side, is raised about 1/4" above the rest, I didn't see it until I fell over it.
When yo are coming down, speed increases, and one isn't expecting the concrete to be raised above the rest.
The rest of the spiral is as smooth as glass.

Last edited by CALGUY; 08-24-2022 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles