Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 02:08 PM

612 posts, read 352,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Have you checked the commute in traffic? 37 minutes in no traffic.

I see 38 minutes with tradfic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 02:19 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"I just spent a week riding Los Angeles buses and trains, along with 25 broadcast journalists from Germany, all of us in L.A. for a mid-career fellowship program. When I told my local contacts we planned to take public transit to dozens of meetings and events — three to four a day, from the Westside to downtown and beyond — they seemed shocked and offered dire warnings along the lines of “are you out of your mind?”

But their fears of lurking danger, little reliability and less comfort turned out to be wrong, albeit well intentioned.

We rode a big selection of Metro’s 120 bus and six train lines. With surprising ease. Safely. Happily. And on time, despite Southern California’s legendary urban sprawl. Our public transit journeys required a bit of advance planning and lead time but they were a fraction of the cost, to our wallets, to our nerves and above all to the environment, compared with the alternative a few of us sometimes used — Uber."

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...etro-bus-train
It's interesting that the local contacts felt that public transit was less safe than Uber. My guess is, that those local contacts were all male? Uber doesn't have a good record of safety for female customers. Have there been robberies or assaults on LA transit?

Old 11-04-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's interesting that the local contacts felt that public transit was less safe than Uber. My guess is, that those local contacts were all male? Uber doesn't have a good record of safety for female customers. Have there been robberies or assaults on LA transit?

I've never heard a female say she wants to use LA public transportation

Old 11-05-2023, 01:00 AM

2,507 posts, read 1,296,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekdog View Post
Yes and he said it took an hour to get from Beverly Hills to Skid Row. it should be 30 minutes
Do you really drive to Skid Row and park your fancy car there for hours?

Old 11-05-2023, 09:26 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
Yes and he said it took an hour to get from Beverly Hills to Skid Row. it should be 30 minutes
Can you imagine, wasting 30 minutes out of your day? Take out 7 hours for sleeping, 9 hours for work, that leaves 8 hours to live. And to willingly sacrifice 15% of those critical hours for something so benign as "add'l commuting time" is ludicrous. Do this over the course of a 70 year lifetime, and that's 10 YEARS on a smelly bus with diseased people.

Old 11-05-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
Do you really drive to Skid Row and park your fancy car there for hours?

No

Old 11-05-2023, 11:02 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
They don't announce it. They just use it. Why would they announce it? It's just part of routine life for some women in LA.

Old 11-05-2023, 11:16 AM

11,050 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Can you imagine, wasting 30 minutes out of your day? Take out 7 hours for sleeping, 9 hours for work, that leaves 8 hours to live. And to willingly sacrifice 15% of those critical hours for something so benign as "add'l commuting time" is ludicrous. Do this over the course of a 70 year lifetime, and that's 10 YEARS on a smelly bus with diseased people.
LOL your last line.

I like the Coaster train. Almost no "iffy" people. But when we tried the Sprinter train, which goes inland, it was pretty iffy re the type of people on board. So we don't use it anymore.

Not gonna try the bus, either, lol.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:55 AM

4,561 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
I actually agree with you on this. Of all the women I know, if they are not driving themselves, they are absolutely calling on an Uber instead of taking public transportation. Of course, this may be different in certain areas where the metro/subway/train is readily available and going directly to their destinations. But for the most part, I dont know of ANY women who would rather wait at a bus stop for a bus than to call an Uber.

Old 11-15-2023, 01:17 PM

1,223 posts, read 495,787 times
It is my understanding the purple D line is being extened west towards santa monica. After this project will LA every build another subway line? Or has the city decided on LRT only going forward?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles