Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 01:36 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times

Advertisements

Sun Ciry is near Menifee, it used to be 55+, not sure now. Rosamond is close to Lancaster/Palmdale.

I lived in north San Diego County forever (way too expensive now, which is also why I don’t mention Orange County). But I had an acquaintance who was a classical pianist who took Amtrak or Metrolink almost every weekend up to LA to go to concerts, plays, art exhibits, gallery showings, so it can be done. My Temecula friend went to a Chargers game in LA recently, but started out early in the day & was home late due to traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 01:52 PM

50,244 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I grew up in the LA 'burbs... I've been away too long to have tips about neighborhoods or housing costs,
but here's a general observation: people can move eastward until the housing cost becomes do-able.
You'd lose urbanity by doing that but you wouldn't lose easy access to the great outdoors -- the most
impressive mountains in So Cal (Mts Baldy, San Gorgonio and San Jacinto) are way to the east of LA itself.
And I'm guessing you could find cycling clubs throughout So Cal.

Agreed about northeastern winters... three months a year with not much to do.
It's better to live 12 months a year.
San Diego normally has the best bike lanes in the Country but the last bout of construction all over the city has destroyed them, for now.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:25 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekdog View Post
Sun valley? It's not very nice and it's expensive but it's close.
Sun Valley has a more youthful population (for the SFV, anyway). However, median listing price of a home is $799.5k.

Quote:
Check cities from Covina to Rancho Cucamonga.
Rancho and Covina are suburbs full of families; boring for a young, single guy.

Quote:
I know someone who moved out near Claremont area and would take the train on days remote was not an option
Claremont would be great, but median listing home price there is $949.5k.

Old 11-30-2023, 04:28 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,272,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I grew up in the LA 'burbs... I've been away too long to have tips about neighborhoods or housing costs,
but here's a general observation: people can move eastward until the housing cost becomes do-able.
You'd lose urbanity by doing that but you wouldn't lose easy access to the great outdoors -- the most
impressive mountains in So Cal (Mts Baldy, San Gorgonio and San Jacinto) are way to the east of LA itself.
And I'm guessing you could find cycling clubs throughout So Cal.

Agreed about northeastern winters... three months a year with not much to do.
It's better to live 12 months a year.
Solid advice here. I noticed that as well (regarding moving eastwards).
I like the city, but I don't have to be right in the middle of it. I can be 8-10 miles out and be just fine.
A big reason why I would like to move to CA is the weather. I am very outdoorsy. I love the Northeast but damn those winters can be brutal.

Old 11-30-2023, 06:22 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Why not "visit" a few times?

I've lived East Coast my whole life. I went to San Diego/Seattle this year (as a tourist, not work related) and in that time I enjoyed my visit but no way would I be inclined to move there. I recently moved to a new house in the same area I've lived in for 20+ years and my new neighbor just moved back east from 20 years in San Diego. Loved the area but said "enough was enough" when it came to politics/homeless/crime issues.

I always thought Montana would be cool.....yep it was for a 2 week vacation but no chance would I ever live/move out there.

Old 11-30-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Why not "visit" a few times?

I've lived East Coast my whole life. I went to San Diego/Seattle this year (as a tourist, not work related) and in that time I enjoyed my visit but no way would I be inclined to move there. I recently moved to a new house in the same area I've lived in for 20+ years and my new neighbor just moved back east from 20 years in San Diego. Loved the area but said "enough was enough" when it came to politics/homeless/crime issues.

I always thought Montana would be cool.....yep it was for a 2 week vacation but no chance would I ever live/move out there.
Yup, the plan is to visit several areas in CA. I mean, I guess it really depends on what you want. I may hate it there. But as far as weather, more diversity, way less humidity and less politics (think southeast USA), I think it checks all of my boxes. But I won't know for sure until I visit.

Montana??? Pretty but cold!

Old 11-30-2023, 06:56 AM

Californians, what's the catch here? Is this house in a crime infested area, or?.....

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...5920460_zpid/?

If a house needs a little work, not a big deal. But that one is pretty dang affordable if you ask me. But I dunno.

Old 11-30-2023, 07:11 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Californians, what's the catch here? Is this house in a crime infested area, or?.....

If a house needs a little work, not a big deal. But that one is pretty dang affordable if you ask me. But I dunno.
Hmmm. that IS reasonable...

Old 11-30-2023, 08:05 AM

612 posts, read 351,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Sun Valley has a more youthful population (for the SFV, anyway). However, median listing price of a home is $799.5k.

Rancho and Covina are suburbs full of families; boring for a young, single guy.

Claremont would be great, but median listing home price there is $949.5k.
I think my friend is technically in Pomona. Can get some nice townhomes under $600k. Unfortunately there is usually a high HOA. Ontario has them too

Old 11-30-2023, 08:07 AM

612 posts, read 351,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post

On leased land: Yes
Lease amount: $1,486

But Santa Clarita is more affordable, it just doesn't hit your other requirements
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles