Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 01:05 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,460 times

Advertisements

Cajuns are the exiled from Port Royale and Acadia in Nova Scotia from the 1750s (thanks brits....)

Creoles are all of the other French / Spanish / German settlers that didn't come from the Nova Scotia area.

I can trace my lineage back to both. My first family came to the new world in 1610 to Nova Scotia. I also have a lot of family that settled directly in the German Coast of LA directly from France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Just an interesting tidbit I thought I'd throw in here:

I'm 1/8 Cajun by way of being a LeBlanc. My mom and dad recently attended a lecture on the Basque culture and found out that LeBlanc is one of several Cajun names that draws it ancestry to the Basque region (the French part).
I am also a LeBlanc/Mathieu-Mercadel by way of New Orleans 7th wd I know my Grandmother on my dad side is by way of Lafayette and my Grandmother on myoms side is by way of New Orleans I think been digging in the ancestry to learn my culture

Old 07-26-2015, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 5,858 times
Default I agree

I am a Le Blanc and have Always been told the following History between the difference between Cajun and Creoles. At the Beginning when the First Boat arrived on New Orleans land, these people are reffered to as Creoles because they mixed/married with the Native Indian, black slaves, etc.
On the other hand the Cajun's left France and went First to Nova Scotia, Canada and then came to Louisiana and other states but MOSTLY Louisiana where they knew people. The CAJUNS are considered "Acaidian FRENCH' Slang name "Cajuns'. So they were named Cajun by the Creoles.
From my understanding, the Creoles that came by Boat were the First French 'directly from France' and most were the underclass, undereducated, most were criminals, etc. Not all of them were bad people of course but most were. On the other hand the Cajuns that took their route thru Canada to the "NEW WORLD' which is what America was Called at the time, were people that were educated, middle and upper class people. Of course overtime with 'Law and Order' the Creoles became good people or at lest MOST of them. They wanted to Start Over just like everyone else coming to the NEW WORLD.
My Great Uncle was a attorney and he had a passion to find the truth so he spent time and time again visiting in France diggin up all the families History. Although he lived in Donaldsville, LA. he has since passed away and would be 110 if living today, but he gave many notes and a Family Tree to my Dad and everyone in the whole LeBlanc family with his findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Cajuns mainly came from Acadia in nova Scotia and migrated down to the Lafayette/Acadiana region. The music is French based, and more folkish. the food is thought of as more spicy, but is really just seasoned heavily and is made of cheap ingredients. The Cajuns don't do the whole voodoo thing.

Creoles are a mix of peoples. Whites, blacks mainly. Some of them came from the caribbean and up North. Because New Orleans is a port town, the culture is a huge mix of other cultures. Jazz and Zydeco reign here. The food is more caribbean and African influenced.

Because of close proximity and modern travel, the two cultures have mixed together to make one really kick ass identity for Louisiana. They are so closely intertwined that both regions have characteristics of the other.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:04 PM

I am a Le Blanc and have Always been told the following History between the difference between Cajun and Creoles. At the Beginning when the First Boat arrived on New Orleans land, these people are reffered to as Creoles because they mixed/married with the Native Indian, black slaves, etc.
On the other hand the Cajun's left France and went First to Nova Scotia, Canada and then came to Louisiana and other states but MOSTLY Louisiana where they knew people. So they were named Cajun by the Creoles.
From my understanding, the Creoles that came by Boat were the First French 'directly from France' and most were the underclass, undereducated, most were criminals, etc. Not all of them were bad people of course but most were. On the other hand the Cajuns that took their route thru Canada to the "NEW WORLD' which is what America was Called at the time, were people that were educated, middle and upper class people. Of course overtime with 'Law and Order' the Creoles became good people or at lest MOST of them. They wanted to Start Over just like everyone else coming to the NEW WORLD.
My Great Uncle was a attorney and he had a passion to find the truth so he spent time and time again visiting in France diggin up all the families History. Although he lived in Donaldsville, LA. he has since passed away and would be 110 if living today, but he gave many notes and a Family Tree to my Dad and everyone in the whole LeBlanc family with his findings.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:05 PM

Default Landry and LeBlanc's

Landry's and LeBlanc's are Related.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:11 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Default a sincere, honest question.........................

Many years ago I occasionally had to travel to a Dow Chemical Facility at Plaquemine. Over time I got to know one of the men I was meeting with fairly well. He was a native to that specific area and had an interesting accent,...that I enjoyed and told him so. He seemed pleased and in a joking manner once said:......."I'm glad you don't have any difficulty understanding me,........I can assure you that I have some "Coonass" friends that you would have great difficulty understanding!."

I never got up the courage to ask him about the term "Coonass", and if an outsider (like me) used it, would it be considered impolite and considered derogatory.

Thanks..................

Old 07-26-2015, 11:47 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
I never got up the courage to ask him about the term "Coonass", and if an outsider (like me) used it, would it be considered impolite and considered derogatory.

Thanks..................
I wouldn't care, others may. I think it just depends on the comfort level of the company. I believe it's usually the upper income Cajuns that detest the word. I think it's starting to become a point of pride more than it used to be, since we're not all seen as "french n******" anymore.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:48 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeBlancNola View Post
Landry's and LeBlanc's are Related.
All Cajuns are related...

Old 07-27-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Many years ago I occasionally had to travel to a Dow Chemical Facility at Plaquemine. Over time I got to know one of the men I was meeting with fairly well. He was a native to that specific area and had an interesting accent,...that I enjoyed and told him so. He seemed pleased and in a joking manner once said:......."I'm glad you don't have any difficulty understanding me,........I can assure you that I have some "Coonass" friends that you would have great difficulty understanding!."

Thanks..................

He wouldn't get offended.

I don't think many would.

It isn't a negative term to them, except as Mwahfromtheheartsaid, maybe if they were an uptight bunch. Those people aren't very common, especially the further you get from the city.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
All Cajuns are related...
I always joke that we don't have family trees, we have ligustrums...

I am related to Daniel LeBlanc over 25 different times. He most likely came from Martaizé, which is closer to Paris than to the Basque region. Located on the Western side of France just a hair north of center of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana