Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 06:58 AM

165 posts, read 309,797 times

Advertisements

Depends where on S. Brook. West of I-65, you're in Old Louisville, which still has its issues with petty crime, but I'd rate as safer than Shelby Park.

At the end of the day, though, "safe" is a subjective thing. As I said before, it depends on how much you're willing to tolerate. Every neighborhood everywhere has some crime, and there are little old white ladies who live in the worst gang-infested, crackhouse neighborhoods in the country with no problems. If you want objective stats on crime rates in the neighborhoods in question, look at the LMPD's website and the crime map I linked to above. Otherwise, all you're getting is "I'd live there" or "I wouldn't live there" from a bunch of random strangers, which doesn't help you a whole lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 451 times
From out of town, and trying to be a TARC bus driver. Where would be the closest I could rent to Union Station, for under $600 per month, for a 1-bdrm, under $500 for a studio, that doesn't have shootings very often? Trying to stay out of high-priced, gentrified, areas, but don't want to be in a violent part of town. May be able to pay a little more to be near my work. Thanks.- Charles

Old 08-13-2018, 04:54 AM

115 posts, read 146,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritageh550 View Post
From out of town, and trying to be a TARC bus driver. Where would be the closest I could rent to Union Station, for under $600 per month, for a 1-bdrm, under $500 for a studio, that doesn't have shootings very often? Trying to stay out of high-priced, gentrified, areas, but don't want to be in a violent part of town. May be able to pay a little more to be near my work. Thanks.- Charles

Renting in Old Louisville is probably your safest closest bet. Under $500 may not be possible anymore, and certainly will be much more difficult if not impossible to find in safe areas outside of Old Louisville that are close to Union Station. But you should be able to find a studio or one bedroom close to that in Old Louisville. If you're new to Louisville, just be sure to research the parts of Old Louisville that people generally find to better though. You'll probably find some deals in places that aren't quite as nice, the condition vary block to block. Although even that's a matter of perspective; I've known plenty of nice middle class people who lived on Kentucky and Breckenridge and Saint Catherine who didn't have any problems, they just take all the precautions you should take living in an urban area.

Reading this thread 7 years on is interesting though. Clay not as much but definitely Camp has a lot more evidence of flipped houses and gentrifiers moving in, but they're still quite rough lucking compared to anything outside of the tracks. The prices people are asking though throughout all of shelby park and smoketown have gotten somewhat ridiculous though considering how rough it still is, though i suppose you can chalk that up to a lack of inventory in that price range and area and germantown and schnitzelburg and even merriwether and saint joseph getting so expensive. you really can't find anything renovated for less than 100k at least in the past couple of weeks, but there seems to be people paying it and there's a whole lot of investment going in between the market and tim faulkners, and cafes and T. Eddies being sold. some infill with a cool new contemporary house on marret and a container house on logan too. I hear the Soujourn people bought up a lot, but it really seems like they focused on Oak Street which seems like its 90% flipped as well as a lot of the houses fronting Shelby Park, and a lot of logan and shelby are pretty nice too. In general though I don't think it's any different in terms of anyone living there really needing to take all the same precautions about walking around alone at night, locking everything up, having a security system, etc.

Last edited by cubedeathk; 08-13-2018 at 05:24 AM..

Old 08-13-2018, 10:04 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubedeathk View Post
Renting in Old Louisville is probably your safest closest bet. Under $500 may not be possible anymore, and certainly will be much more difficult if not impossible to find in safe areas outside of Old Louisville that are close to Union Station. But you should be able to find a studio or one bedroom close to that in Old Louisville. If you're new to Louisville, just be sure to research the parts of Old Louisville that people generally find to better though. You'll probably find some deals in places that aren't quite as nice, the condition vary block to block. Although even that's a matter of perspective; I've known plenty of nice middle class people who lived on Kentucky and Breckenridge and Saint Catherine who didn't have any problems, they just take all the precautions you should take living in an urban area.

Reading this thread 7 years on is interesting though. Clay not as much but definitely Camp has a lot more evidence of flipped houses and gentrifiers moving in, but they're still quite rough lucking compared to anything outside of the tracks. The prices people are asking though throughout all of shelby park and smoketown have gotten somewhat ridiculous though considering how rough it still is, though i suppose you can chalk that up to a lack of inventory in that price range and area and germantown and schnitzelburg and even merriwether and saint joseph getting so expensive. you really can't find anything renovated for less than 100k at least in the past couple of weeks, but there seems to be people paying it and there's a whole lot of investment going in between the market and tim faulkners, and cafes and T. Eddies being sold. some infill with a cool new contemporary house on marret and a container house on logan too. I hear the Soujourn people bought up a lot, but it really seems like they focused on Oak Street which seems like its 90% flipped as well as a lot of the houses fronting Shelby Park, and a lot of logan and shelby are pretty nice too. In general though I don't think it's any different in terms of anyone living there really needing to take all the same precautions about walking around alone at night, locking everything up, having a security system, etc.
Can you post more often? You are probably one of the only posters here I have seen besides me with literal block by block urban knowledge of the city, and you've just displayed it here.

Thanks for that.

Word to the wise....invest in Shelby Park and Smoketown now before it's too late. Many so called "hip" cities could only dream of neighborhoods with such built urban form, and these are 10th place neighborhoods in metro Louisville, but with unlimited potential!

The rough areas are few and far between in Shelby Park now! Homes routinely sell for 150 to 200k!

Old 08-14-2018, 05:05 PM

115 posts, read 146,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Can you post more often? You are probably one of the only posters here I have seen besides me with literal block by block urban knowledge of the city, and you've just displayed it here.

Thanks for that.

Word to the wise....invest in Shelby Park and Smoketown now before it's too late. Many so called "hip" cities could only dream of neighborhoods with such built urban form, and these are 10th place neighborhoods in metro Louisville, but with unlimited potential!

The rough areas are few and far between in Shelby Park now! Homes routinely sell for 150 to 200k!

thanks, mate, I'll try this board has been a bit dead lately.

It seems like is already too late for those crazy deals. While it's gotten better, I think most all of shelby park and smoketown are still well outside of most people's comfort zones, though a lot of people are doing it, and it's only going to get better, just taking a bit longer than i think people thought in 2011 as evidenced by this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area