Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 10:17 PM

6 posts, read 10,567 times

Advertisements

Hi again! Since we won't be buying until after we settle in and get a feel for what Louisville and it's neighboring cities & towns have to offer, we are looking to rent. Although a house would be ideal, the rental market doesn't seem to offer much (per the realtor I've talked to and the internet searches I've done). I'm actually ok with the idea of an apartment so I won't have to worry about yard upkeep and such. So my question to y'all is...can you recommend a fan-freaking-tastic apartment/condo/townhouse complex in Oldham County? We don't want to spend more than $1,250 a month (unless it's really worth the extra money) for a 3 bedroom. I've found a few online but without knowing what the area that it's in looks like and the kind of people that live there are like, online searches don't really cut it here. It has to be safe because we have three small children. Thanks again for the oodles of help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 02:20 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,751,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHFam View Post
Hi again! Since we won't be buying until after we settle in and get a feel for what Louisville and it's neighboring cities & towns have to offer, we are looking to rent. Although a house would be ideal, the rental market doesn't seem to offer much (per the realtor I've talked to and the internet searches I've done). I'm actually ok with the idea of an apartment so I won't have to worry about yard upkeep and such. So my question to y'all is...can you recommend a fan-freaking-tastic apartment/condo/townhouse complex in Oldham County? We don't want to spend more than $1,250 a month (unless it's really worth the extra money) for a 3 bedroom. I've found a few online but without knowing what the area that it's in looks like and the kind of people that live there are like, online searches don't really cut it here. It has to be safe because we have three small children. Thanks again for the oodles of help
It is actually easier to find houses for rent in Oldham. What will not be easy is finding a 3 bedroom in upscale Oldham County for that cheap. Please realize that all of Oldham is safe, very safe, and that in general it is an upscale bedroom community to Louisville.

Here is a great deal on a possible rent to own, but it is way out of your price range. Great home though:

Oldham County Schools

Old 10-23-2013, 03:24 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
There are not a ton or rentals in OC compared to Jefferson Co but there's more than you might think, including very affordable apartments. There are really no unsafe areas in OC at all that I know of.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM

287 posts, read 769,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
It is actually easier to find houses for rent in Oldham. What will not be easy is finding a 3 bedroom in upscale Oldham County for that cheap. Please realize that all of Oldham is safe, very safe, and that in general it is an upscale bedroom community to Louisville.

Here is a great deal on a possible rent to own, but it is way out of your price range. Great home though:

Oldham County Schools

Aw shucks! That house looks perfect for my family. ( would need to negotiate the price a little) If only we'd gotten the job. OK, I really need to let this go. It's just not going to happen.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:14 PM

6 posts, read 10,567 times
I've been searching online all day and I can't find websites for any apartments in Crestwood. I can find a list of them but no reviews. I've found two in LaGrange (one of which I'm not interested in because the lady was insanely rude and they have nothing available anyway) the other seems great but the school that it's zoned for, although it's in the greatest district, seems to get mixed reviews and a greatschools rating of only a 5. Do students only go to school they are zoned for or can you get into another school if you drive them? Can anyone list any Crestwood apartment complexes that are nice?

Old 11-07-2013, 07:27 AM

8 posts, read 14,476 times
I live in Crestwood and I just pulled out the phonebook. There are The Meadows at Crestwood and Camden Wood Apartments (new). Both are located off of 146 next to All About Kids, our new facility that offers gymnastics, swimming, tae kwon do, soccer and more. Cherry Tree, Deer Park, Crestview, Graham Village, and Windsong (low-income based) are also apartment complexes listed in Crestwood. I have never lived in any of these apartment communities, but I believe some are low-income based so you will need to call. Oldham county residents go to the school they are zoned in, which in Crestwood would be Camden Station, Crestwood, or Kenwood Station elementary schools. Middle School would be South Oldham Middle and high school would be South Oldham High. Camden Station, Kenwood Station, South Oldham Middle, and South Oldham High are all situated in one campus area. Due to a rapid population increase, they built Kenwood Station next to South Oldham High and so there are two elementaries in very close proximity to each other. Oldham county schools are rated very high with North Oldham High(Goshen) having the highest test scores, South Oldham High (Crestwood/Pewee Valley) second, and Oldham County High (Lagrange/Buckner) lowest. I hope this helps you determine an area. With needing 3 bedrooms, you may want to consider renting a house.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:37 AM

8 posts, read 14,476 times
All three of my children went to Camden Station, South Oldham Middle, and South Oldham High. Oldham County schools are excellent for the children who excel. Many children take AP courses in preparation for college and earn academic and athletic scholarships. However, children with learning disabilities are often ignored and allowed to slide through. I had three children at all ends of the spectrum. So while the schools are rated high keep in mind they teach to the test, encouraging high achievers and hiding the strugglers. They even offer Buckner Alternative High School for students who get pregnant,who don't graduate in 4 years due to academics, or students who cause trouble.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:40 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,751,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improving healthcare View Post
All three of my children went to Camden Station, South Oldham Middle, and South Oldham High. Oldham County schools are excellent for the children who excel. Many children take AP courses in preparation for college and earn academic and athletic scholarships. However, children with learning disabilities are often ignored and allowed to slide through. I had three children at all ends of the spectrum. So while the schools are rated high keep in mind they teach to the test, encouraging high achievers and hiding the strugglers. They even offer Buckner Alternative High School for students who get pregnant,who don't graduate in 4 years due to academics, or students who cause trouble.
JCPS is waaay better for special needs kids, and while Oldham does have some of the top schools, JCPS actually has the top rated high schools in the metro area. It is just that JCPS also has the worst rated high schools in the metro area as well. It is sort of a give take. If you are a city person and like your kids to be around diversity or have a special needs or child with a special talent, JCPS is for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area