Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:21 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubedeathk View Post
I don't know as much about the history of Louisville as some people, but to some extent New Orleans served as a sort of Ellis Island for the South in a way that Louisville never did. I have Italian family who came to New Orleans at the turn of the century who have accents very reminiscent of Brooklyn. One interesting thing is that I believe a lot of the French immigrants themselves moved on, as Portland was heavily French, but today, from what I've read, the residents are mostly descendents of immigrants from Eastern Kentucky and identify as "American," which a lot of people from Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia do. To me, the two cities will always be linked in my mind, but that's probably mostly a function of my family coming from New Orleans.

Idk, to me aside from the shotgun houses brought up the river, Louisville is very much cut from the same cloth as Cincinnati and to a lesser extent Saint Louis. Louisville seems to lack all of the Spanish-influenced architecture that New Orleans has, and the absence of the huge covered patios on many buildings to give shade from the sun and all of the cast iron fencing (I don't know the proper word) gives it a very different feel, and overall Louisville's buildings don't feel particularly Southern compared to places further south, though there are buildings, especially in New Albany, that would fit right in in New Orleans.
New Orleans still has the largest amount of Sicilians living outside of Sicily. New Orleans was heavily influenced by Caribbean and West African cultures as well as French, Spanish, and Italian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 05:22 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,751,949 times
Quote:
I don't know as much about the history of Louisville as some people, but to some extent New Orleans served as a sort of Ellis Island for the South in a way that Louisville never did. I have Italian family who came to New Orleans at the turn of the century who have accents very reminiscent of Brooklyn. One interesting thing is that I believe a lot of the French immigrants themselves moved on, as Portland was heavily French, but today, from what I've read, the residents are mostly descendents of immigrants from Eastern Kentucky and identify as "American," which a lot of people from Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia do. To me, the two cities will always be linked in my mind, but that's probably mostly a function of my family coming from New Orleans.

Idk, to me aside from the shotgun houses brought up the river, Louisville is very much cut from the same cloth as Cincinnati and to a lesser extent Saint Louis. Louisville seems to lack all of the Spanish-influenced architecture that New Orleans has, and the absence of the huge covered patios on many buildings to give shade from the sun and all of the cast iron fencing (I don't know the proper word) gives it a very different feel, and overall Louisville's buildings don't feel particularly Southern compared to places further south, though there are buildings, especially in New Albany, that would fit right in in New Orleans.
I don't disagree with most of this post. And New Albany preserved their "steamboat" era boom architecture...thus the resemblance.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:51 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
It's more Midwestern than Northern, Southern, or European; JMO. Still, you get a lot of bang for your buck!

Old 03-03-2016, 04:49 PM

115 posts, read 146,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans still has the largest amount of Sicilians living outside of Sicily. New Orleans was heavily influenced by Caribbean and West African cultures as well as French, Spanish, and Italian.
Yep they are Sicilian, though sadly we've lost pretty much all cultural aspects of it except for a few words and expressions (also from French) that I didn't realize weren't common American parlance until later in life, and started learning French.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Yep they are Sicilian, though sadly we've lost pretty much all cultural aspects of it except for a few words and expressions (also from French) that I didn't realize weren't common American parlance until later in life, and started learning French.
Louisville DID have a pretty nice sized Italian neighborhood on east jefferson st and in phoenix hill. Most peddled fruit at the haymarket. It has long since dissipated. Read about it in the Encyclopedia of Louisville

Old 06-04-2016, 09:09 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Yeah. No. And the crime rate is getting downright off-putting! At least in New Orleans, you get great music and food with your muggings and murders.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyGUY04008 View Post
Louisville has nothing like the Frech Quarters or Cajun foods or accents. You can see and feel the difference. NO. Looks and feels like your in another country. Louisville is just Louisville,hardly any comparison. Look the entire country can say there's a fair share of immigrants,we are a country of immigrants. Sure some immigrants settled in certain areas more than others but this is nothing unique of no one particular area. I would like to see how many people not from Louisville think NO and Louisville look alike. I just feel Louisville has it's own uniqueness as does most places but there's no NYC,LA,CHICAGO MIAMI,San Fransico or NEW Orleans. These are very unique cities that tourist from all over the world come specifically for the history, architecture and food. Not saying Louisville don't have anything to come for but not on the level of these cities that are world renowned.
It's just Quarter, and it's not Cajun. It's Creole.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:12 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,620,882 times
Louisville never seemed all that much smaller than Indianapolis, to me. About the only thing Indianapolis has that Louisville lacks is 2 of the big 4 professional sports. NBA and NFL. Louisville could very well support a NBA team. Kentucky Colonels and Indiana Pacers were both members of the ABA. They were each other's biggest rivals and they both led the league in attendance. Louisville seems to be growing so it's only a matter of time they get at least one of the 4 major league professional teams.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Louisville never seemed all that much smaller than Indianapolis, to me. About the only thing Indianapolis has that Louisville lacks is 2 of the big 4 professional sports. NBA and NFL. Louisville could very well support a NBA team. Kentucky Colonels and Indiana Pacers were both members of the ABA. They were each other's biggest rivals and they both led the league in attendance. Louisville seems to be growing so it's only a matter of time they get at least one of the 4 major league professional teams.
Being between Cincy, Indy, and Nashville will hamper that. Can't imagine Louisville being able to fill a stadium with UL being in town, not to mention corporate presence needed.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Being between Cincy, Indy, and Nashville will hamper that. Can't imagine Louisville being able to fill a stadium with UL being in town, not to mention corporate presence needed.
This makes zero sense when Louisville is larger than New Orleans and they can.

And Memphis and OKC are literally identical in size, demograhics, and just about every thing to Louisville...and NEITHER of those towns has a basketball crazed half a million MSA 60 miles down the road...or a major metro of 2+ million 1.5 hours away with no NBA team, and probably 400-500k of that metro living in the state of KY (Cincinnati)

Milwaukee and Indy aren't much bigger.

Salt Lake? Even Orlando is still mid sized.

It's not that Louisville won't support it....it is that the power brokers in the city hail to UofL... always top 3 in attendance. And what's more, Louisville is the wealthiest athletic program in the nation....and its not even close. No other college team has such an NBA style arena and NBA atmosphere...complete with 70 super upscale luxury boxes and bars in the Yum arena that would be among the nicest in the NBA.

Revenue jumped 40% when Yum opened:
Forbes Welcome

Many local fans have no idea they're paying higher prices and the atmosphere they have at Yum for UofL is NBA style, not at all like college.

Corporate prescence? That's also hogwash. I am sorry but you are simply misimformed here.
If Tom Jurich, Rick Pitino, and the power brokers at UofL ever allowed an NBA, you would see things even out. UofL would still be top 10 in attendance and money, but some of the corporate boxes would transfer to the NBA team, and you would see a setup similar to the Memphis Grizzlies and Tigers in the Fedex Forum...only difference is Louisville basketball is a much more prominent program, worth a lot more, and in a real conference, the ACC.

Last edited by Peter1948; 06-05-2016 at 01:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area