Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:29 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times

Advertisements

I'm from So. California - we have lived here for almost 4 years - people here, overall, are extremely friendly, kind and helpful. We love Kentucky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 10:33 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,451 times
We moved here in DEC 09 and so far we like it. Although the winters truly suck! We moved from NC so yea winters here are more harsh with lots of snow and cold weather compared to NC..
I also agree with people being so friendly here definitely was not use to that and after being here for almost 3 yrs were still not use to how friendly people are. Now don't get me wrong not all of KY has nice ppl.. before moving here, when we come out to look at houses we ran across some ppl who just didnt like us newcomers looking in their neighborhoods. But the people here where we chose to live are very friendly and we do like it so far.

I do have to ask one question though and Im not trying to be mean or rude.. just curious..I have noticed the women around here look much older than they actually are.. like my daughters friends moms all look like they are 20-30 yrs older when they are around my age.. 30ish... whats up with that? Is there a reason for this or is this just natural here?

Old 07-19-2012, 01:02 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Not sure where in Ky you live Wolfeyes but last winter was very mild where we live....the snow barely covered the ground twice - my husband never shoveled snow - it was a very mild winter with some very nice days.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Not sure where in Ky you live Wolfeyes but last winter was very mild where we live....the snow barely covered the ground twice - my husband never shoveled snow - it was a very mild winter with some very nice days.
Yea was same here.. forgot to mention how last winter was nice only had to wear a jacket but this winter I can imagine will be cold like the winter before.. Not looking forward to that!

Old 07-19-2012, 01:41 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Yea was same here.. forgot to mention how last winter was nice only had to wear a jacket but this winter I can imagine will be cold like the winter before.. Not looking forward to that!
I have been to NC twice and found the people to be quite friendly. I've heard that Raleigh-Durham isn't a particularly friendly area but I was in nearby Henderson and Oxford and found the people in those towns to be just wonderful.

I lived in Kentucky before moving to California. I won't deny that Kentuckians as a rule are much friendlier and more down-to-Earth than the Californians--but I don't regret my move to California for a moment. Nonetheless, some parts of Kentucky are friendlier than others. For instance, Louisville (!!!) and, to a lesser extent, Northern Kentucky are not very friendly; I used to think of Lexington as unfriendly, but I have come around. Western Kentucky is friendlier than Eastern Kentucky, in my experience; not that EKY is unfriendly overall but just a little more standoffish (Scots-Irish thing).

If I may ask, I'm curious to know where in NC you lived and where in KY you moved to.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 PM

65 posts, read 123,570 times
Quote:
..I have noticed the women around here look much older than they actually are.. like my daughters friends moms all look like they are 20-30 yrs older when they are around my age.. 30ish... whats up with that? Is there a reason for this or is this just natural here?
They are probably smokers.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I have been to NC twice and found the people to be quite friendly. I've heard that Raleigh-Durham isn't a particularly friendly area but I was in nearby Henderson and Oxford and found the people in those towns to be just wonderful.

I lived in Kentucky before moving to California. I won't deny that Kentuckians as a rule are much friendlier and more down-to-Earth than the Californians--but I don't regret my move to California for a moment. Nonetheless, some parts of Kentucky are friendlier than others. For instance, Louisville (!!!) and, to a lesser extent, Northern Kentucky are not very friendly; I used to think of Lexington as unfriendly, but I have come around. Western Kentucky is friendlier than Eastern Kentucky, in my experience; not that EKY is unfriendly overall but just a little more standoffish (Scots-Irish thing).

If I may ask, I'm curious to know where in NC you lived and where in KY you moved to.
I was born and raised in Greensboro NC... people use to be friendly there growing up, as I got older I noticed over the past 20yrs or so ppl had gotten where they aren't as friendly I guess it has something to do with fast pace of living..every ones always in a hurry going nowhere and most of the time grumpy..lol..
We were relocated here, My husband work at knox. We moved to a small town about 15miles from Elizabethtown.. out here with cornfields and cow/horse farms...Southern part of Hardin County..

Old 07-20-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I was born and raised in Greensboro NC... people use to be friendly there growing up, as I got older I noticed over the past 20yrs or so ppl had gotten where they aren't as friendly I guess it has something to do with fast pace of living..every ones always in a hurry going nowhere and most of the time grumpy..lol..
We were relocated here, My husband work at knox. We moved to a small town about 15miles from Elizabethtown.. out here with cornfields and cow/horse farms...Southern part of Hardin County..
Yeah, the area around E'town traditionally has pretty friendly folks. Good pick.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Yeah, the area around E'town traditionally has pretty friendly folks. Good pick.
Thanks..

Old 07-21-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks..
Sure. Hardin and, very adjacent to you, Grayson and Hart Counties comprise a pretty friendly area of the state. Meade County is also a nice rural county, scenery- and people-wise.

I don't know much about Larue County, only went there as a small child.

Thank God you didn't end up in Bullitt or Nelson Counties. I've known nice people from Bullitt County, but the vibe is very "off" and an odd mix of upper class Louisville suburbanites, good ol' blue-collar Joe 6-pack types, 1970s-era Frank Beard meets Ku Klux Klan wannabes, and just outright racist hicks. Mt. Washington is by far the best area in Bullitt County. Nelson County, the seat of which is Bardstown, is arguably the most aesthetically pleasing of all your neighboring counties. However, Bardstown has a lot of old money and "the way we've done things" mentality and, frankly, I always found Bardstown to be snobby and unfriendly. And I live in California now, so I know snobby and unfriendly when I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area