Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 07:53 PM

35 posts, read 20,699 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I've always had interest in Louisville. Louisville, also known as the "Derby City", is the home of Muhammad Ali, the Louisville Slugger, and of course, the Derby. And Fourth Street Live. Has anyone ever been to a Derby? I want to go, and I might go soon. Does Louisville also have a big city feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 09:11 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,560,413 times
I've never been to the Derby, but my brother went a couple years in the 70's. Said he's never seen so many people drunk and happy at the same time in the infield. lol We took my boys and step granddaughter a quite a few years ago. We didn't go check out a lot in town because of the heat when we were there. We did go to Churchill Downs and check things out. But, when you go, take a little time to check out the area outside of Louisville. Ft. Knox is just down the road and, staying on US 31W you can see the Gold Depository from the highway. Bardstown is about 45 miles away so you can check out My Old Kentucky Home, and several distilleries. Very Old Barton, 4 Roses, Heaven Hill, etc. Plus you can eat at Talbott Tavern, which I have read is the oldest still working tavern west of the Appalachian Mountains. It built in 1779. In my much younger years, my family camped at My Old Ky. Home State Park and, in a day's time, visited Lincoln's birthplace and Lincoln's Boyhood Home, the Shaker Village in Pleasant Hill, and worked our way up to Louisville and back to Bardstown.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:04 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,425,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaquon.raww View Post
Hi everybody,

I've always had interest in Louisville. Louisville, also known as the "Derby City", is the home of Muhammad Ali, the Louisville Slugger, and of course, the Derby. And Fourth Street Live. Has anyone ever been to a Derby? I want to go, and I might go soon. Does Louisville also have a big city feel?
Louisville native here - I've also lived all over the country, including bigger cities like Orlando and San Francisco. Louisville does not really have a big city feel. It's a large town with a small town feel, but we think that's a good thing. It's also one of the friendliest cities you'll ever visit.

I grew up around pre-Derby events (the Kentucky Derby Festival as a whole - https://www.kentuckyderby.com/visit/...derby-festival) - don't forget Thunder over Louisville in April, the biggest Fireworks show in the nation - and I've been to one Derby, despite living in the area for roughly half my life. It's really mostly an event for out-of-towners. The Kentucky Oaks (the day before Derby Day) used to be the day locals went, but that's become more of an event for out-of-towners too as Kentucky Derby tickets are usually now sold as a package deal of both events for one price (without an option for one or the other last I looked). Thus, most of the locals now go on Thursday - now called "Therby".

The Derby is a fun, if not expensive event most sports fans should do at least once in their life. If you don't want to spend much to go, then you can get a ticket in the "infield" which is basically like a college frat party with drunks everywhere, and you don't really get a great view of the races (you basically watch on the big screen TV). The grandstands patrons are still drunk, but they're a bit more civilized drunks than the infield.

If you do go, please have a good time!

Old 08-05-2019, 07:26 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,121,509 times
Derby weekend is a must for anyone, Oaks for KY natives such as myself. Sign up on the derby sight to get in the know for when tickets go on sale and just go buy grandstand tickets. Have your SO pick out a hat at that shop that all the women go to for hats. But pick the hat out first, the dress will follow later and will be an easier decision.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:22 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,912,039 times
Derby is a wonderful over-priced day of standing in line. Lines to place a bet, lines to pee, lines to get a drink etc. Being IN Louisville during derby week is definitely a good time but the crowds and the cost of actually going to the derby itself just isn't my idea of a good time. I used to really enjoy going to the oaks but it's become over-crowded and over-priced as well. Not as bad as the derby but still not an enjoyable experience. Last oaks I went to I think I might have spent less than an hour actually sitting in my seat that I paid way too much for. The rest of my day was spent waiting in long lines and fighting large crowds. I'm glad I went to a derby but I would never go to another.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:04 PM

8 posts, read 13,730 times
The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ke...t_and_Depraved

Old 02-09-2020, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,472 times
Ive never been to Louisville, but it seems like a big town with small town feel. I think that derby is any interesting idea to visit Louisville, and the part about Muhammad Ali i think is interesting,so its a place i want to visit soon enough I just want to visit a town with full amentities and small costs.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:17 PM

644 posts, read 1,431,878 times
i just (literally) left Louisville. I live in Atlanta. I was only there for 3 days but i had a blast! Like someone mentioned EVERYONE there was extremely nice. Downtown was fun i just drove around and didn't walk bc it was tooo cold. Next time i'll check out 4th Street Live. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip and will def be back!! But i noticed that all the bars were extremely small. Like the bars only sit like 7 people. Not a complaint just an observation.

Old 02-28-2020, 04:16 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,121,509 times
If you come back, go to Old Town Wine and Liquors on Bardstown Rd and chat up my cousin Gordy or his helpful staff there and they will help you find some of the more populated bars. My guess is that liquor laws in KY are tied to food sales mostly so a lot of drinking places are restaurants too. It’s been a while so I’m not 100% sure on that.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:42 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,758,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
i just (literally) left Louisville. I live in Atlanta. I was only there for 3 days but i had a blast! Like someone mentioned EVERYONE there was extremely nice. Downtown was fun i just drove around and didn't walk bc it was tooo cold. Next time i'll check out 4th Street Live. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip and will def be back!! But i noticed that all the bars were extremely small. Like the bars only sit like 7 people. Not a complaint just an observation.
This time of year is dead. Come back when it is warm....NIGHT AND DAY. Also there are alot of big bars and clubs, you just missed them. 4th St live isn't fun and not worth seeing. Much better areas now!

Maybe consider coming for Thunder over Louisville or the 2 weeks before Derby if warm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: