Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 01:25 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
It's simply unfathomable how any "objective" study could come up with Louisville drivers being good at anything.
Yeah I don't disagree. But I don't think Louisville drivers are the WORST. Far from it. I'd say they are average because I travel a lot and can tell you NO ONE is worse than FL and AZ drivers. But top two best in the USA? Yeah I am not buying that! I have been run off the road several times in Louisville. In the defense of Louisville drivers, many roads are undersized. Some of that is getting fixed as the crappy cloverleaf interchanges at 265 and 64 and 71 are being fixed in the next two years. The Snyder and 71 also are getting big widenings in the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 01:52 AM

9,686 posts, read 9,412,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Yeah I don't disagree. But I don't think Louisville drivers are the WORST. Far from it. I'd say they are average because I travel a lot and can tell you NO ONE is worse than FL and AZ drivers. But top two best in the USA? Yeah I am not buying that! I have been run off the road several times in Louisville. In the defense of Louisville drivers, many roads are undersized. Some of that is getting fixed as the crappy cloverleaf interchanges at 265 and 64 and 71 are being fixed in the next two years. The Snyder and 71 also are getting big widenings in the burbs.
71 needed this years ago. I agree, there are much worse drivers in other states. I find Louisville very easy to get around. The infrastructure is adequate for the size of the city. Kentucky spends on its roads and it shows.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:01 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,424,332 times
Quote:
The cloverleafs (leaves?) are absolutely the worst problem the city has with road infrastructure, no doubt along with the undersized roads which has been a result of the city having a negative delta when comparing taxes paid to the state that the city sees back. Other areas in the state see a much more significant percentage investment than gets paid in, and it's my opinion that Louisville's infrastructure has suffered as a result of politicians trying to avoid raising taxes to allow for more budget. I highly doubt that all of those road plans will be fixed in the next 2 years, in fact I'd bet the farm on it.

Having lived in Florida for 6 years (and was there most recently over last winter), I can attest that Florida drivers are much more aggressive (especially south of Gainesville and worse as you continue South to Miami) but there's not nearly as many accidents there, primarily because the interstates are straight and flat. Lots of crotch rockets going a million miles an hour, and all kinds of weird, strange stuff (it's Florida man after all), but I still believe Louisville drivers are worse primarily because of the infrastructure and a cultural impatience, and unfortunately, I think some has to do with the amount of alcohol consumed here versus other areas.

I also visit Phoenix/Scottsdale somewhat often and while I wouldn't say I enjoy driving there, I wouldn't rate them as the worst either - I'd think Boston drivers are near the worst, and Chicago has a few claims there because I've never seen more people make left hand turns from the far right hand lane or vice versa anywhere else in my life.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
The cloverleafs (leaves?) are absolutely the worst problem the city has with road infrastructure, no doubt along with the undersized roads which has been a result of the city having a negative delta when comparing taxes paid to the state that the city sees back. Other areas in the state see a much more significant percentage investment than gets paid in, and it's my opinion that Louisville's infrastructure has suffered as a result of politicians trying to avoid raising taxes to allow for more budget. I highly doubt that all of those road plans will be fixed in the next 2 years, in fact I'd bet the farm on it.

Having lived in Florida for 6 years (and was there most recently over last winter), I can attest that Florida drivers are much more aggressive (especially south of Gainesville and worse as you continue South to Miami) but there's not nearly as many accidents there, primarily because the interstates are straight and flat. Lots of crotch rockets going a million miles an hour, and all kinds of weird, strange stuff (it's Florida man after all), but I still believe Louisville drivers are worse primarily because of the infrastructure and a cultural impatience, and unfortunately, I think some has to do with the amount of alcohol consumed here versus other areas.

I also visit Phoenix/Scottsdale somewhat often and while I wouldn't say I enjoy driving there, I wouldn't rate them as the worst either - I'd think Boston drivers are near the worst, and Chicago has a few claims there because I've never seen more people make left hand turns from the far right hand lane or vice versa anywhere else in my life.
Well let's make a bet because you are highly wrong Those interchanges are going away and its full funded. The 71/265 interchange starts construction in the spring. The 265/64 interchange by the end of 2021. The widening of 71, 265, and the entire project is fully funded and will be complete by 2023. In the meantime, it could be a rough 3 years with already bad traffic, rapid growth, and 3 years of heavy construction in multiple areas (the state found it was more economical to do everything at once). The contractors are local and recently announced

http://i-moveky.com

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...0-million.html

Old 11-06-2019, 03:37 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,911,360 times
Quote:
Louisville drivers are bad but Phoenix drivers just might be worse.

Old 11-07-2019, 02:25 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,424,332 times
Quote:
Well let's make a bet because you are highly wrong Those interchanges are going away and its full funded. The 71/265 interchange starts construction in the spring. The 265/64 interchange by the end of 2021. The widening of 71, 265, and the entire project is fully funded and will be complete by 2023. In the meantime, it could be a rough 3 years with already bad traffic, rapid growth, and 3 years of heavy construction in multiple areas (the state found it was more economical to do everything at once). The contractors are local and recently announced

I-Move Kentucky – An innovative approach to improve I-265, I-71 and I-64

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...0-million.html
It's a bet I'd love to lose!

Old 11-08-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
It's a bet I'd love to lose!
LOL you already lost. Talk to me in 2023 and pay up lol. I'm happy they are doing it but its going to be a NIGHTMARE for a few years. I hope they plan lane closures in the middle of the night and don't do dumb things like tear up and block lanes then let it sit for months. However, since its fully funded I doubt any non weather delays. Another problem is there is around 1000 apartment units under construction JUST at that interchange! Another 4 story development w/ 300 more units was announced behind the Hampton Inn NE, and of course we have a large new apartment building behind Springhurst Kroger and the new office building, plus at least 400 more units of apartments under construction in Norton Commons not to mention hundreds of homes being built all around that area.

We will see if the 71/265 interchange is finished by next Christmas. That will tell us how smooth it will go. I am also a little unclear how they will rework it but hopefully better than the sharp turns downtown like where 71 meets 65 S (where about 10 semis have rolled over in the last year).

Speaking of rough roads, many are due to the city's dense, urban, industrial history. Anyone heard of the "can opener?" It has it's own reddit lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thecanopener/

Old 12-08-2019, 11:17 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,827,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
When my wife moved from IN to KY she had to go to certain clerks offices with odd hours so a law enforcement person could look her car over. When I moved to IN some regular worker at the clerk's office did a quick look around. So KY is abnormally difficult in that regard.

Based on the number of barely road legal vehicles I see on the roads here maybe everyone should get a vehicle inspection! I've seen bumpers duct taped on more than a few times.
The only cars that get an inspection are out of state cars.
-Headlights/hibeams
-turnsignals
-hazards
-horn
-sometimes reverse lights
Your car can be garbage, but not until it's ky garbabge. Cars get more "inspection" before a drivers driving test and that's nust fine for me. Want stringent car regulations, go to Cali. One thing I love about this state is you can practically do whatever you want to your car or have it in whatever condition. A guy near me has been driving the same t-boned Nissan hardbody truck probably over ten years. Regaulations are slippery slopes. It's bad enough they're tolling bridges. Inspections are done from like 8am to 4:30pm.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:14 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,827,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatelouisville View Post
Thanks for the replies and input everyone. Clearly I was having one of my not-so-good louisville days when I made this account/post. I do stand by everything I said, although I totally understand others may have very different experiences.

To answer some questions, I'm in my late 20's and moved here from another midwest state.
[b]You're around my age[/i]
I work in an office in Louisville, and all of my immediate co-workers are actually nice, cool people. Very few of them actually live in Louisville like me, most of them commute.

Someone asked about the unfriendly locals, well I really only interact with random strangers in customer service settings (me being the customer), or while out walking/driving. As another poster said, a lot of people in service positions just act totally bizarre, as if they've just then been placed in that situation and you're the first person they've ever seen. Either that or they're just irrationally stand-offish and rude. It's not like I'm looking for trouble either, I'm a quiet, unintimidating person and am always extra nice to people in those positions because I know what it can be like.
[b]Louisville is known to be friendly, it's known to be rather inclusive if you ain't from here and they can tell. Personally born and raised here' rarely do I have a rude service person, they might be busy talking to a co-worker or something, but are usually nice. Could be you. When I worked for All My Sons, I moved some Chitown people from like Shelbyville and they said the kentuckians there were rather stand-offish or rude seemingly no reason. I found them nice people.[/i]

As for the sheriff inspection... During my first inspection attempt, I went into the clerks office and the sheriff simply said hes done doing them for the day. This was a little after noon, and conflicted with the hours I saw online, and I had even just been on the phone having them tell me to come on in.. So as I'm asking when I should return, for my own knowledge, his response was to stand up right in front of me and put his hands near his hips/holsters and just stare at me as if I was some sort of criminal he was about to pummel. This made everyone in the room and waiting area turn and look concerned. At that point I was too embarrassed and honestly intimidated to say anything else so I turned and left shocked. I know it's not really an accurate reflection of all of Louisville's law enforcement, but that was extremely disheartening to have happen shortly after moving.

seems like most of our law enforcement. In my old neighbourhood, we called them the Dicks. I got pulled over in front of my apartment three times among other issues.

In my post where I mentioned road designs, I probably should have said traffic light timing instead. There are several intersections I'm forced to frequent on my way to/from work where you will sit through several green lights unable to move because the intersections just get gridlocked.
Sounds like you work downtown. It can be horrible, especially if that stupid stadium is doing something

Prior to moving to Louisville, I've often driven in larger cities like Chicago and even other countries. I've had more close call accidents in my one year in Louisville than the rest of my entire life.

If you don't drive defensively here, you will absolutely run out of luck because you can't count on others to drive safely or predictably. Before living here, traffic was never really a factor in deciding where I'd move, but I simply didn't know it could ever be THIS bad. It really wears on you day after day.
Drivers here are selfish and can be idiots. You must learn to drive defensively and offensively to keep up with flow. They do dumb bullspit pretty often and many are impatient.

I was surprised to see that a lot of the replies are in line with or share my views and experiences. I was expecting much more push back and retaliation.

Obviously there are still good things and friendly people Louisville has to offer, but it's all relative to where you've been before. It does seem like it could be a good place for a young family, and maybe older adults. But for someone like me, I can't think of any reason to choose it over other similarly sized cities.
We know the cities faults and it might not be for you. Or you ain't found the charm after a year. Personally depsite tbe number of things that iritate the hell outta me, I love this city, it gets boring at times and the place starts to feel real, especially if you're stuck in the same routine. We do have a decent food and music scene, there are indie things like the Flea Off Market. Lotsa booze spots, coffee shops, conventions, car shows and off all the things that go on during the day, the evening to night is where you can really find something to do. It could be you, though. Might hafta get out that box. Or it might not be your kinda city, and age has little to do with it. If you see me around, I'll talk to ya.Louisville?  Think again-68a62452-c6e0-48e7-83a9-48d591bf4f7c.jpg

Old 12-30-2019, 10:08 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,357,901 times
While I didn't hate my time in Louisville, I'm very glad it's over.

I agree with most of what you said. The only one I'd disagree on is the food. That's the one where Louisville will almost always stand out. I had some amazing food there. Vietnam Kitchen. Simply Thai. La Rosita. Dragon King's Daughter. El Camino WAS great. Overall I was impressed with the food there for the size and location of the city.

Nightlife there was better than I expected, though still hit or miss with the racism.

By far the absolute worst drivers I've ever experienced in my life. I'm from LA. Lived in SF. Lived in Philly. Live in NJ now. Have driven in NYC numerous times. Louisville is by far the absolute worst city for driving out of all of those. I've never had so many near misses where I actually thought I could die. In my three years in Louisville, I can't even tell you the amount of times people changed lanes almost right into me, tractor trailers almost smashed me against guard rails, people turned into me because they couldn't figure out a left-turn with 2 turn lanes, people ran red lights and almost killed me, etc. None of those have happened to me literally anywhere else. Driving in Louisville is absolutely terrifying and I think it heavily contributed to my complete hatred for driving.

Some commenting on the personalities of the locals. There is a difference between nice/friendly and polite. I'm a nice person, but I'm not polite. That's the NJ/NYC in me. Many people who praise Southern Hospitality perceive politeness as niceness/friendliness. Southern Hospitality is a myth 100%. Louisville may be polite, but they are not friendly whatsoever. I struggled so much to make friends there. I never fit in. It was very obvious the locals knew I never fit in and would never like me to fit in. I'd much rather receive terrible customer service or have most people ignore me on a daily basis, but have some people be genuinely nice and friendly to me without talking behind my back. The latter is difficult in Louisville, and likely much of the South, where politeness is pushed more strongly than actually just being a good human being.

Along with that concept, Louisville locals are far too prideful in their city. It's a cool city for its size. But, for its size. Talking to someone from there, you'd think Louisville is the best place ever. People never leave. Many seemingly have no interest in traveling even. They spend their entire lives wrapped up in Louisville everything. But they're quite ignorant of what is beyond Louisville's borders. This can be said for MANY cities across the country. But at least a place like NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, etc. is on an entirely different level. Louisville's educated and high society class pretends it's just as cultured and lively and worldly, but the majority of the residents don't even come close.

I think a problem with the crime right now is the heroin trade. Louisville is a big hub for the heroin trade and wherever people are fighting for drug trade, crime follows. Not just from the trade, but from the users who must commit crimes to support themselves.

Another aspect someone mentioned was foresight. The city lacks foresight in every way possible. For example, the city keeps funding highway projects, yet ignores TARC and I believe actually defunds TARC. The future shows more people want good transit, so TARC deserves strong investment, not the highways. The highways being built along the river made for a stain on the entire urban core of the city IMO. Yet the city actually fixed it up instead of thinking of alternatives. Some important programs at UofL have been cut that would have contributed to a stronger future for the city. Other examples I can't think of.

It has the potential to be a better city IMO. But it just has absolutely no idea what its identity is and is entirely incapable of figuring out how to reach its full potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area