Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 12:36 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
After seeing all the riots, Louisville is finished. People will remember, not move there or move out. No calling in National Guard to put down the riots? Trust me, these riots will affect those cities for decades, and not in a good way.
Every city is going through this. Louisville isn't finished. This is nothing like Ferguson, and St Louis isn't done. Every city is suffering now, Louisville is no exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 05:01 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times
St. Louis has been finished already. Check out their population. Last time I looked it was about 300k. Drive through downtown in the middle of the day, you barely need to slow down. Their crime rate is 3 times the national average. Their downtown area is barely anything. Doesnt look anything like it used to.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:48 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,334 times
Quote:
St. Louis has been finished already. Check out their population. Last time I looked it was about 300k. Drive through downtown in the middle of the day, you barely need to slow down. Their crime rate is 3 times the national average. Their downtown area is barely anything. Doesnt look anything like it used to.
Ferguson didn't do that though - it was facing a steep decline well before then.

Louisville has a long road ahead of it now - and the sad thing is that this type of thing could literally have happened anywhere. With more companies leaving, Louisville is going to have some down years probably for the next decade or so - I don't see a quick rebound occurring. The city is in dire financial straits too now because of the state pension issue and is likely going to have to raise taxes which will go over super well.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:55 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
There are similarities with Ferguson in the long duration of protests except that those protests mostly damaged that working class suburb whereas the Breonna Taylor protests mostly damaged downtown and recently the Highlands. Here property damage and looting were pretty rare but many people locally and regionally will now avoid coming downtown and perhaps the city in general. It's not an issue of the city being burned to the ground but of intact buildings no longer housing restaurants and shops. The Yum Center worries me because it had huge debt issues when it was booked with many sell out events, now crowds will be much smaller due to fear of downtown. The city and state could have a credit downgrading over that.

There will be a lot of movement to the Indiana side where there still hasn't been an increase in crime. Homes in my neighborhood have already doubled or tripled in value in the past 5 years. All three IN cities are gentrified to the greatest extent they've ever been, including many new urban living developments.

The boomerang effective of cops now pulling back in response to being too aggressive in the past will mean sustained homicide numbers that have never occurred here before. 75% into this year and already the county has broken it's previous annual amount of homicides. Rather than the old 45 to 75 annual homicides we're going to be in the 150-200 range. That's going to put a heavy strain on already overworked social support services.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:26 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times
You could eventually end up with a situation like Kamsas City MO. KC used to be the big dog and KC Kansas was the tail. Then over the years, the prosperous people made a big move over to the Kansas side of the river. Now the Kansas side of the river is very prosperous, KCMO, not so much.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:41 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There are similarities with Ferguson in the long duration of protests except that those protests mostly damaged that working class suburb whereas the Breonna Taylor protests mostly damaged downtown and recently the Highlands. Here property damage and looting were pretty rare but many people locally and regionally will now avoid coming downtown and perhaps the city in general. It's not an issue of the city being burned to the ground but of intact buildings no longer housing restaurants and shops. The Yum Center worries me because it had huge debt issues when it was booked with many sell out events, now crowds will be much smaller due to fear of downtown. The city and state could have a credit downgrading over that.

There will be a lot of movement to the Indiana side where there still hasn't been an increase in crime. Homes in my neighborhood have already doubled or tripled in value in the past 5 years. All three IN cities are gentrified to the greatest extent they've ever been, including many new urban living developments.

The boomerang effective of cops now pulling back in response to being too aggressive in the past will mean sustained homicide numbers that have never occurred here before. 75% into this year and already the county has broken it's previous annual amount of homicides. Rather than the old 45 to 75 annual homicides we're going to be in the 150-200 range. That's going to put a heavy strain on already overworked social support services.
I certainly see Indiana property values continuing to increase in Floyd and Clark counties. I'm glad I bought my house last year, it has already increased $25-30K in one year, and I have made a good amount of improvements to it. Semi-rural properties with greater distances between houses will likely be in even greater demand due to the current factors that make up 2020.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:44 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
You could eventually end up with a situation like Kamsas City MO. KC used to be the big dog and KC Kansas was the tail. Then over the years, the prosperous people made a big move over to the Kansas side of the river. Now the Kansas side of the river is very prosperous, KCMO, not so much.
Kansas City, KS was never prosperous, you're thinking about Johnson County, KS. State Line Rd separates KC, MO from Johnson County. Also, the Missouri counties in the metro area are growing faster in percentage terms because KC, MO city limits occupy four different counties, VERY confusing. Suburban areas of Platte and Clay counties are growing faster in percentage terms than Johnson County, KS due to more reasonable housing prices, very low crime, and well funded schools. Johnson County has gotten very overcrowded and expensive for what it is.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:29 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I certainly see Indiana property values continuing to increase in Floyd and Clark counties. I'm glad I bought my house last year, it has already increased $25-30K in one year, and I have made a good amount of improvements to it. Semi-rural properties with greater distances between houses will likely be in even greater demand due to the current factors that make up 2020.
I expect a general increase in population on the IN side but the biggest difference will be people living in the urban core of Louisville's condos and gentrified urban neighborhoods no longer feeling safe and moving over. There are no condo developments in all three IN cities and Clarksville has big plans for more near the Colgate clock.

In hindsight I do think the 2000 riots in Cincinnati had a big role in making Covington and Newport into what they now are. Once you shift people to another nearby urban node it's hard to get the Genie back in the bottle. Downtown Cincy still lags NKY despite being the employment and stadium hub of the region. Maybe the same happens here, maybe not.

Old 10-01-2020, 10:41 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I expect a general increase in population on the IN side but the biggest difference will be people living in the urban core of Louisville's condos and gentrified urban neighborhoods no longer feeling safe and moving over. There are no condo developments in all three IN cities and Clarksville has big plans for more near the Colgate clock.

In hindsight I do think the 2000 riots in Cincinnati had a big role in making Covington and Newport into what they now are. Once you shift people to another nearby urban node it's hard to get the Genie back in the bottle. Downtown Cincy still lags NKY despite being the employment and stadium hub of the region. Maybe the same happens here, maybe not.
I vehemently disagree. All this negativity about downtown will go away almost immediately with more equity towards minorities. It is already happening. If the national economy recovers, expect downtown to be at least 90% of what it was by Derby. If we can get a better mayor in here and more aggresive leadership, Louisville has a chance to market itself as a work from home capital, with some big city amenities at half the cost. I cannot believe downtown goes back to the desolate 1990s I remember on trips there as a young adult with my father. That truly was adesolate downtown.

The fact is, last summer Louisville had arguably one of the best downtowns in the southeast. As of this week, its among the worst. However, it has enough bottled kinetic energy to catapault back in short order. Even some of the protest leaders now say the main protests are done. We need a really cold winter and a peaceful election and much will be healed.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:00 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,956,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I vehemently disagree. All this negativity about downtown will go away almost immediately with more equity towards minorities. It is already happening. If the national economy recovers, expect downtown to be at least 90% of what it was by Derby. If we can get a better mayor in here and more aggresive leadership, Louisville has a chance to market itself as a work from home capital, with some big city amenities at half the cost. I cannot believe downtown goes back to the desolate 1990s I remember on trips there as a young adult with my father. That truly was adesolate downtown.

The fact is, last summer Louisville had arguably one of the best downtowns in the southeast. As of this week, its among the worst. However, it has enough bottled kinetic energy to catapault back in short order. Even some of the protest leaders now say the main protests are done. We need a really cold winter and a peaceful election and much will be healed.
It's funny that you think people who call themselves activists, like it's a job title, will ever be happy and the "negativity about downtown will go away" and "much will be healed".

They'll find the next topic to be outraged about, and everything will rile up again. Moderator cut: no partisan politic

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-07-2020 at 08:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area