Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,802 times

Advertisements

None. For Louisville to get an NBA franchise, they would have to get in line behind Seattle and Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 09:33 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_vegabond View Post
None. For Louisville to get an NBA franchise, they would have to get in line behind Seattle and Las Vegas.
Seattle is getting a team. Why would a second team go out west? How can Vegas support three pro teams in the matter of two years a such a transient town?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-26-2021 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: See DM

Old 03-24-2021, 06:38 PM

10,085 posts, read 14,463,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjspring View Post
In terms of location distance, the NHL would be an interesting franchise.
Actually, that's a decent point. Had not really thought of that.

The "closest" NHL teams are in Nashville (2.5 hours), St Louis (4 hours) and Columbus, OH (about 3 hours).

So if Louisville tried to go all-in for an NHL team, they could pull fans from the entire state of Kentucky, and southern Indiana too.

That may be a good angle for Louisville, if they could start the ball rolling with support.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:00 AM

8,982 posts, read 17,302,746 times
Louisville is not getting an NHL team.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:51 AM

6,455 posts, read 9,822,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjspring View Post
Why do you say that?
I grew up in Kentucky. None of my friends or anyone I knew was interested in Hockey. Its not something poor farm kids aspire to. They can play basketball anywhere with little expense. Thats why I think most ky folks love basketball, they really don't have much else.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:14 AM

501 posts, read 1,065,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I grew up in Kentucky. None of my friends or anyone I knew was interested in Hockey. Its not something poor farm kids aspire to. They can play basketball anywhere with little expense. Thats why I think most ky folks love basketball, they really don't have much else.
Agreed. Not to mention that the South/Central KY is already aligned with the Nashville Predators. Of what remains, isn't enough to support a new NHL franchise. There are quite a few other cities with an actual hockey culture that the NHL would consider first.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:57 PM

10,085 posts, read 14,463,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Good point-I didn't think of it from that angle.

Hockey is not popular at all in Kentucky. I just thought about the sports my mom and her family would talk about when they were growing up and it was always basketball, basketball, basketball. She grew up in southeastern Kentucky and that was the #1 sport.

Also, the Predators are the team most Kentuckians probably root for anyway.

An NBA team would be ideal, but Louisville seems like a long shot for that now.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:03 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
Wouldn't be too sure on the hockey part. In the western Ky. area, people were going to the Evansville (Indiana) Icemen hockey games. But the Icemen are moving to Owensboro as soon as renovations can be made to the Owensboro Sports Center. And the Owensboro Youth Hockey Association has been going since 1971 and is still going strong. https://www.owensborohockey.com/
And you'd be surprised how many people in this part of the state pull for the Nashville Predators and St. Louis Blues. At least, if there was a hockey team in Louisville, it would keep some of that money in Ky., instead of Tennessee and Missouri.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:37 PM

8,982 posts, read 17,302,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Wouldn't be too sure on the hockey part. In the western Ky. area, people were going to the Evansville (Indiana) Icemen hockey games. But the Icemen are moving to Owensboro as soon as renovations can be made to the Owensboro Sports Center.
The Icemen moved to Jacksonville 4 years ago. They aren't going to Owensboro, that was scrapped in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
And you'd be surprised how many people in this part of the state pull for the Nashville Predators and St. Louis Blues. At least, if there was a hockey team in Louisville, it would keep some of that money in Ky., instead of Tennessee and Missouri.
When I lived in Western Kentucky, I was among a small clique of hockey fans. I remember driving to the USI Ice Eagles games at Swonder before the IceMen came to town. Sure, there are some hockey fans in western Kentucky, but nothing approaching a significant enough number to justify an NHL team in Louisville. That is really beside the point, Louisville itself hasn't had professional hockey in 20 years. Louisville isn't jumping from no hockey for 20 years into the NHL.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:34 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The Icemen moved to Jacksonville 4 years ago. They aren't going to Owensboro, that was scrapped in 2016. I stand corrected. The Icemen aren't in Evansville. It's the Evansville Thunderbolts. But they didn't get to play this year. "The Southern Professional Hockey League announced Tuesday its 2020-21 season will be comprised of just five of the league's 10 teams, but Evansville is among those who will sit out a shortened 42-game regular season."
https://www.courierpress.com/story/s...on/5900227002/

When I lived in Western Kentucky, I was among a small clique of hockey fans. I remember driving to the USI Ice Eagles games at Swonder before the IceMen came to town. Sure, there are some hockey fans in western Kentucky, but nothing approaching a significant enough number to justify an NHL team in Louisville. That is really beside the point, Louisville itself hasn't had professional hockey in 20 years. Louisville isn't jumping from no hockey for 20 years into the NHL.
All I know is I know people from where I used to live who would drive in a caravan of about 10 cars to go to a hockey game in Evansville and even took a couple vans to Nashville for some Predator games.
All that was just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area