Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2022, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,426 times

Advertisements

Dear All,
I’m moving to Louisville and I’m looking for a house to buy. I’d like an area with the best school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 07:53 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,096,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma2091 View Post
Dear All,
I’m moving to Louisville and I’m looking for a house to buy. I’d like an area with the best school district.
Louisville is a lottery system for schools. Meaning that you know the best schools, you move nearby to one of the best schools, and then you throw your name in a lottery to actual have your kids get into one of the better schools. Even if you live near a “better school”, you may not even get that “better school” or more likely, none of the “better schools”.

As you can imagine, everyone wants to get into a “best school” (at any level) but it doesn’t matter where you live. It’s a lottery. Long bus rides can be expected. There is no concept of “neighborhood schools”.

Better question is which nearby county has the best school. Welcome to Oldham county, which is NE of Louisville and a short drive. You can actually pick your school (choice) and then pick a home that feeds into that chosen school; it’s a logical process.

Old 02-14-2022, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,426 times
Which neighborhood is NE? How much do houses and apartments cost?
Which schools are in the NE?

Old 02-18-2022, 09:54 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,424,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma2091 View Post
Which neighborhood is NE? How much do houses and apartments cost?
Which schools are in the NE?
He said Oldham County. It is one of the more expensive counties in the state, but you can find decent deals still under $350k. Apartments are not as prevalent out that way.

Google schools in Oldham County, KY. I'm not going to list every school, but generally speaking most are better than anywhere else in the Louisville metro area unless you want to pay for private school. Jefferson County Public Schools are a laughing stock.

Your next best bet if moving here is to actually live in Floyd County, Indiana. It's cheaper than Oldham, but still safe and the next best school district IMO.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:04 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
He said Oldham County. It is one of the more expensive counties in the state, but you can find decent deals still under $350k. Apartments are not as prevalent out that way.

Google schools in Oldham County, KY. I'm not going to list every school, but generally speaking most are better than anywhere else in the Louisville metro area unless you want to pay for private school. Jefferson County Public Schools are a laughing stock.

Your next best bet if moving here is to actually live in Floyd County, Indiana. It's cheaper than Oldham, but still safe and the next best school district IMO.
That's right in the area I live, it is certainly the highly regarded Floyd Central school district. Property values have gone up extremely fast in the last three years since I bought in 2019. You can barely find any nice properties less than $350K in central and western Floyd County now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: